This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Open Everything NYC 2009

edited April 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss our experiences at Open Everything NYC. In the news Adobe is bringing flash to televisions and Oracle has acquired Sun.

Comments

• In the defense of the crazy spy, Obama has done some things like Bush. For instance he agreed with Bush's wiretapping. The spook is obviously crazy, but his Obama comment was not completely without merit.
  • edited April 2009
    @Darthfasa: You're looking for this flame-war but, seriously, what's the chance of any similarities existing between two politicians?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • @Omnutia: I don't think I communicated that effectively. What I mean is this:
    1: Robert David Steele was a spy.
    2: Wiretapping has a very large effect on spys. As does water-boarding. (note, I realize that Obama has changed his mind of this since, but Open Source Everything happened on the 18th, when this was still Obama's plan.)
    3: People compare most politicians on the issues that they care about.
    4: In these areas Obama is similar.
    5: It Robert Steele would see Obama as similar.

My intent is not to create a flame war, just say that people may have overacted to his comment. I wasn't there, so I can't know for sure, it just seems to me that there is some merit to his statement. Not a lot of merit, but some.
  • I have considered moving to postgres on my current project for a while now, I think that I might abandon MySQL when I switch to a VPS.

The Oracle deal may have not been a bad thing ultimately for us FOSS lovers as Oracle has been really nice in terms of contributing to Linux in the past. Solaris is pretty nice from the things I hear (kernel stuff). In my opinion Sun created OpenSolaris in order to snatch up part of the horde of Linux kernel hackers who are now submitting like 600 patches per day or something insane like that. Solaris has some pretty nice stuff going on under the hood, maybe instead of developers migrating from the Linux side to the Solaris side some of Sun's thought children will be liberated. Think ZFS becoming GPL.

As for virtualbox, my guess that it will not be something that Oracle tries to make more commercial and closed than it already is. It seems that it can compete on a user/workstation level with vmware but the big iron virtualization market seems to lie with Xen vs KVM in the future.
  • For the record ZFS is the shit. I would use opensolaris on a file server just to get ZFS.
  • I just had a few comments about the discussion about making internet services a utility....

There was an article on slashdot yesterday, after the recording:Slashdot: Time Warner Cable won't compete

To sum it up:
    1) The city told TW cable they wanted better service
    2) TW told city to piss off
    3) City makes utility out of cable, charges $99/month for 81 channels of cable, phone service, and 10/10 Mbps internet service.
    4) TW complains that its unfair competition, begins lobbying to pass laws to prevent this from happening

Brian Bowman, the city PR guy is my new personal hero, he's got some interesting things to say on his blog about the situation Save NC Broadband. On a personal note, I've got a friend who lives in a nearby town, and TW service is abysmal there, huge packetloss and very high ping times when we try to play video games in the evening.
  • I'm listening to this show a bit late and I am amazed at just how backwards Rym got his facts.

Saying that McDonalds and Burger King adverts are all over F1 and Red Bull goes out of its' way to do more awesome stuff?

Well I'm an F1 fan and I don't remember seeing a single advert for McDonalds or Burger King. Red Bull on the other hand run two entire teams. Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso. Which probably makes them the most invested advertiser in F1 teams in the world.
  • I'm listening to this show a bit late and I am amazed at just how backwards Rym got his facts.

Saying that McDonalds and Burger King adverts are all over F1 and Red Bull goes out of its' way to do more awesome stuff?

Well I'm an F1 fan and I don't remember seeing a single advert for McDonalds or Burger King. Red Bull on the other hand run two entire teams. Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso. Which probably makes them the most invested advertiser in F1 teams in the world.
    Still, red bull has more awesome commercials then McDonald's.
  • Still, red bull has more awesome commercials then McDonald's.
    No disputing that. I'd argue F1 is one of the more awesome things Red Bull go after, after all.