This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Achievement Unlocked

edited April 2009 in Everything Else
I had been feeling a bit glum over the end of my freshman year at college, almost feeling like I had wasted too much time. This emotion finally passed after I thought of the different things I had accomplished this year. In particular, I relished in some little things that feel like human musts: I stayed out until the wee hours of the morning with friends; I had a long and memorable conversation with a complete stranger; I went out on a date with a girl I met four days earlier; I entered a romantic relationship (unrelated to the previous accomplishment); among plenty of others. Overall, I just had to remember the "boo yah" from the year.

Inspired by this revelation, I'm making a list of "Things to Accomplish in My Life", with a focus on the tiny things that (I think) are reachable achievements for anyone, but are also enlightening. I'd like to hear what others think are important.

So far, I have (in no particular order):
-Make a profit off of a good idea
-Have someone else say you are irreplaceable to them
-Visit every continent (except Antarctica)
-Go on some vacation, preferably a road trip, alone
-Find a book that you can always reread (Same goes for movie, game, and album, but rereading a book requires a certain level of dedication)
-Find a celebrated work of art that you understand perfectly, but just don't agree with (You don't know genius until you have a personal definition of failure)
-Keep a journal for at least a year. Write a small, stoic verse every day before bed (I've just started doing this. It's really profound)
-Plant a tree (Stolen from The Simpsons when Homer ate the fugu)

Anyone have their own list? Something they've accomplished?

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Excluding all of the things on your list, which I think are very good, the first things that come to mind are:

-Produce a creative work that is truly worthwhile to someone other than myself
    -Collaborate with an artist that I admire
    -Hike the Appalachian trail
    -Get a 3rd degree black belt (I already have a 2nd degree, so this is pretty viable for me)
    -Have my own Wikipedia article (I'm only being partially facetious here)
    -Learn to make a delicious omelet.

The most recent XKCD, because it is somewhat relevant:

Post edited by Walker on
  • I'm building my own, as I will soon be off to college and need some goals to make life more interesting. Most of yours are on my list, as well as a few others:

-Lose a ton of weight, stay fit: I don't really have access to a gym, and I'm out of shape. I aim to change this with great rapidity once a fitness center is available.
    -Learn to juggle: I had a daydream about juggling torches in the school quad today, and I decided that I must make it a reality.
    -Go to Burning Man: Quite cliche, but I'm a social individual, and it has always seemed like the ultimate social event. I also like building contraptions.
    -Attend Coachella, Bonnaroo, DEFCON, PAX, and Otakon.
    -Become a good guitar player: I've been practicing daily (mainly blues improv and chord progressions to accompany my vocals) and have actually had noticeable improvement.
    -Get a date with someone I have just met: This sounds rather entertaining.

More are always being added.
  • That's a great thread title!
    -Visit every continent (except Antarctica)
    Why not Antarctica? I aimed to visit every continent, and as of this year I've visited them all. Antarctica was the most extreme, and it had more penguins than the others. Why not aim for all?

Some recent ideas and long term achievements still to unlock:
    - Get married in zero gravity on a "vomit comet" plane (current girlfriend is afraid of flying, this might not happen for a long time).
    - Go to space.
    - Make a video that gets 1 million views on youtube in one week.
    - Win a major literature award.
  • -Hike the Appalachian trail
    need help?

This is BIG time on my list and I have about... oh 5 miles of it done :-p
  • I remembered another:
    - Learn to speak fluent German, rather than my current clumsy German.
  • -Visit every continent (except Antarctica)
    Why not Antarctica? I aimed to visit every continent, and as of this year I've visited them all. Antarctica was the most extreme, and it had more penguins than the others. Why not aim for all?The Old Ones.
  • My goals change as my life develops and are usually not quatifiable by anything beyond my own estimation.
    My current daily goals (thing I want to achieve every day):
    1) Work on a creative pursuit.
    2) Work my body (even if it hurts).
    3) For every criticism I throw at myself, point out one positive.
    4) Enjoy people for what they are, not for what I would have them be.
    5) Show those I love that I love them more than my own flesh.

My long term goals:
    1) Become a mother and make my child my first priority.
    2) Get a Ph.D. in English Education.
    3) Help provide my parents with a comfortable retirement should they need it.
    4) Provide my child with a college fund/money to begin a business.
    5) Travel. I don't care which contents, just travel with my husband and eventual child wherever we want to go.
    6) Be the best educator/administrator I can possibly be.
    7) Allow my goals to change if I discover they do not allow me or those I love joy.
  • My only goal in life, so far, is to find something I would be willing to die for.
  • My only goal in life, so far, is to find something I would be willing to die for.
    The sign of an immature man is that he is willing to die for a cause. The sign of a mature man is that he is willing to humbly live for one.
  • -Have someone else say you are irreplaceable to them
    Ouch, don't have that one yet. Feeling blue.

Going for easy ones:
    1. Learn a third language.
    2. Read the Qur'an.
    3. Don't know why - celebrate a holiday with friends, making all the food myself. I'm slowly getting there.
    4. Gunter:"Produce a creative work that is truly worthwhile to someone other than myself."
    5. Gaining weight - proves to be harder than I thought.
  • A few more for me:
    - Climb from sea level to the top of Mount Everest (the only true way to do it).
    - Become a father.
    - Break another few world records.
  • edited April 2009
    My current list -

Immediate goals :
    - Get another job(just lost one, you see. Don't know where I put it last, but the bloody thing is gone)

- Get English Driving license (Provisional, CBT, Open license)

- Get motorbike (by far the easiest so far - Everything is arranged for it but the cash)

- Get another place(my lease on this one runs out on the last day of June, and I don't know if I'll be able to get it again)

- Plan, advertise, and start "Peel's Irregulars"(Basically, a Group of people that meet for (apparently)intelligent conversation, barbecues, exchange of ideas and soliciting help for projects, social drinking, so on, so on. Named so, because The meetings are planned to take place at the base of a Statue of Robert Peel, in Woodhouse Moor Park, Leeds - Also, the meetings will be on an irregular schedule (never on the same day two meetings in a row) and of course, these things tend to attract people who are somewhat irregular to begin with.)

-Quit smoking (I've been trying a lot lately, but stress keeps driving me back - This time, I'm using all the assistance i can possibly use)

Mid to long term goals :
    - Learn At least another two languages (I already speak a little Spanish, which I want to improve, but I really want to lean Russian and Re-learn Japanese)

- Get back my best friend since 2005(Long story, but suffice it to say, Friendship went to relationship, and after I moved over here for her, it went bad(Though it's stupid, i feel it's partially my fault, for various reasons) and her new boyfriend is not only a Old-money Rich, London "Rudeboy"(read, posh chav) Pretty boy, a bully, and a complete shitbag(He's already cheated on her more than once, lies to her constantly, so on) but he's also, I fear, a fucking nutter - He's threatened me on multiple occasions, and most recently, framed me up to look like some sort of lunatic stalker, and an incompetent one with all the cunning of a frontal lobotomy patient at that.)

- Become adept in a few more martial arts(I'm already adept at Cimande Pencak Silat, and I'm a decent hand at Krav Maga and some specialized techniques that we are taught as flight attendants(usually nicknamed Crew-Fu) with a smattering of other arts)

- Learn more Parkour

- Do more student Radio and get a proper radio job (I'm a bit to Haggard looking for TV)

- Get Excited and make things

- Find Happiness

-Keep Happiness after finding it

-Get British Citizenship

- Become a flight attendant again(I miss it terribly, I gave it up to come over here for her - I actually passed on a $45-Grand-plus-bonuses-and-allowances per year contract with V Australia to emigrate here for her, and let my opportunity to go back home and take them up on it to stay here.)

-Camp around Lake Baikal in Russia

That's all I can think of for now.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • - Learn more Parkour
    This is also on my list; I've been getting back into it these past few days, actually.
  • Gaining weight - proves to be harder than I thought.
    Changing your weight in any drastic fashion is pretty difficult, whether you're trying to gain or lose.

My to do list:
    1a. Get myself back on to a day shift at work (working nights has destroyed my sleep schedule, which in turn fucks up my mental/emotional equilibrium)
    1b. Look for/get a new job if management will not put me on a different shift
    2. Attend culinary school
    3. Learn more languages (the list keeps growning - I really just need a brain implant that gives me the linguistic skills of C3PO)
    4. Visit another country
    5. Buy a house
    6. Be happy

I know there are more, but that's all I can think of right now.
  • - Build airship, live in airship, travel world.
  • edited April 2009
    -Having something I created taught about in schools
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • - Build airship, live in airship, travel world.
    Actualy, to be honest, I've been thinking about living on a riverboat...
  • edited April 2009
    Few more things I've written I've added to my list:

-Be in a situation where I use a disguise/pseudonym
    -Change a person's opinion on an issue I feel deeply about
    -"Successfully" match-make two friends
    -Learn to cook (and have a signature recipe)
    -Be quoted/interviewed in a news report
    -Live without electronics for two weeks
    -Film and edit a short movie
    -Walk around the perimeter of Manhattan (stolen from a friend of a friend)
    -Have a goofy hairdo that I will regret later on

and, something that I did that I suggest anyone young/rebellious enough try to do:
    -Host a scavenger hunt. As the teams search for the things you ask for, sit in a place with something they need and laugh as others perform your biddings. (also, put as a thing on the list "for every person who tags along with your team, 5 pts. (limit 3 people)" and watch as your influence spreads
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited May 2009
    Here's my short-term list for this summer:
    - Join a new band. I need an excuse to get out the cover band I'm in and I've got a sneaking suspicion that my partner in my other band has lost interest in the project.
    - Car + freedom. Can you say concerts every single week?
    - Meet people. I'm starting to make some connections with people in local bands and I want to make more. Also planning on chilling with someone I met online who is visiting the area.
    - Get to know the people I just met better. It's almost the end of senior year and there are some really cool people I've just met, but the time I have to get to know them is withering!
    - Have a blast at my summer job. As always.
    - Win 1st place at CFJ Nationals. Victory was snatched from our grasp last year when we tied for fourth place overall. I age out this year, so it's do or die this time.
    - Spend as much time with my friends as possible. Road trip is eminent.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2009
    As a quick rundown of my future plans from the 20-35 range:
    -Start reliable and honest Computer Help business (current project).
    -Use that money to fund a company that promotes good comics from around the world.
    -Move to Japan and, while continuing my duties in the comic company, start a weekly children's show teaching kids about the world.

Side projects include:
    -Write a comic that explains to teenagers how to pull through being a teenager (it also revolves around a Kendo club.. in North England..).
    -Make an open source online game that simulates a fantasy world in which players play out a real story by building the world around them and competing with each other.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Some more:

- Swim with dolphins. Recently my plans for this were foiled.
    - Not pay tax this year (again).
  • Not pay tax this year (again).
    Not pay tax? I love paying taxes. I really do.
  • As I'm self employed, I like to save money for future work-related projects. But also, as I'm self employed, if I invest the money I earn into work-related projects in the same year I earn money, it means I can claim that back against tax. Investing in yourself is a good thing, I think.
  • As I'm self employed, I like to save money for future work-related projects. But also, as I'm self employed, if I invest the money I earn into work-related projects in the same year I earn money, it means I can claim that back against tax. Investing in yourself is a good thing, I think.
    It certainly is. If you are exempt from tax based on circumstance (poverty or investment), then bully for you. Personally, I would hate it because I would feel I wasn't contributing to the system that nurtured me beyond my own personal gain and what few purchases I made in a year. I would try to give back through volunteer and charity work. That is just me, I don't expect anyone else to have the same point of view.
    It certainly is. If you are exempt from tax based on circumstance (poverty or investment), then bully for you. Personally, I would hate it because I would feel I wasn't contributing to the system that nurtured me beyond my own personal gain and what few purchases I made in a year. I would try to give back through volunteer and charity work. That is just me, I don't expect anyone else to have the same point of view.
    The system that nurtured me is in the UK. I now live in Germany. I contribute plenty by spending all my money here. That's the whole point of letting self employed workers claim expenses, so they set up their businesses and employ people in your city, not elsewhere.

But I see your point.
    The system that nurtured me is in the UK. I now live in Germany. I contribute plenty by spending all my money here. That's the whole point of letting self employed workers claim expenses, so they set up their businesses and employ people in your city, not elsewhere.

But I see your point.
    If you are employing others, then you are definitely contributing. Even if I was out of my own nation, I would want to help my adopted/temporary society.
    Bad Neito, bad achievement, bad. Someone give me a rolled up newspaper so I can tap him on the cranium.
  • Bad Neito, bad achievement, bad. Someone give me a rolled up newspaper so I can tap him on the cranium.
    You sir, are full of fail.