This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Trek

edited April 2009 in Movies
Mr. MacRoss and I just returned from a prescreening of the new Star Trek movie.
Let me preface by saying I am a huge Next Generation fan, but never watched more than a few episodes of the original Star Trek (though I have read and heard much about the original) and very little of Voyager and Deep Space Nine. This is also the first Star Trek movie I have ever seen. This movie was by no means "good" in the film student critique sense, but it was filled with camp, action, in jokes, and cameos. I really enjoyed the film and will probably see it again in the theatre (I am looking at you, Uglyfred).
Spoilers: The movie centers around the plot device of time travel and creating an alternate time line (not a new device for Star Trek by any means). This allows the writers to step away from canon a bit and create an intense and emotionally charged context for the Enterprise team to come together. IThe film is not subtle in any way. The acting, writing, plot, and soundtrack are over the top and make as many inside jokes as is possible. We laughed through a lot of the film (even at the dramatic death of a red shirt). Nemoy's appearance was fun, but honestly, the film seemed to drag the most when he was on screen. This may be a product of it being some of the few scenes without combat or action.
Overall, I think this is pure fun and well worth a watch. The bravado is such that it would make Rym look meek (and that in just the first two scenes).

Edit: The casting was spot on except in one instance. They cast Winona Ryder (a 38 year old actress) to play Spock's mother. The casting was glaringly poor. They should have gotten an older actress rather than age her.
Also, there are a few points where the CG on alien faces is painful, but most of the effects work.

Comments

• I wonder if this new movie is an attempt to start a new Star Trek series; perhaps a retelling of the old story (BSG style).
  • I wonder if this new movie is an attempt to start a new Star Trek series; perhaps a retelling of the old story (BSG style).
    It definitely seemed like a set up for more movies or a series.
  • You lucky dog. I wish I could have gone, I didn't realize there were pre-screenings being held. I'm a TNG fan as well. I never got into the original series. I did watch a few seasons of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. I didn't care for Enterprise series. Why have you not watched any of the other previous Star Trek films? Just curious. There are some really goods ones. There are some bad one as well though. But anyhow I was wondering how the time travel bit was going to be handled. I was half expecting some bullshit retcon deal. I can't wait to go and watch this.
  • You could see such brilliant Star Trek films as the one where they rescue the whales and the one where they fight a cloud!
  • edited April 2009
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Are there brain slugs?
  • If you watch any of the original Star Trek movies, watch the ones with even numbers. Those are the good ones.
  • If you watch any of the original Star Trek movies, watch the ones with even numbers. Those are the good ones.
    Nuri is correct.
    I'm tentative about this film, don't know how J.J. Abrams deals with the Universe. I may have watched the TNG series about 3 or 4 times over, I grew up on it. I also watched all of the DS9 and Voyager series but my favorite has always been TNG. Watched the odd Original series but also watched all the films.

I'm still looking forward to it.
  • Nuri is correct.
    I'm tentative about this film, don't know how J.J. Abrams deals with the Universe. I may have watched the TNG series about 3 or 4 times over, I grew up on it. I also watched all of the DS9 and Voyager series but my favorite has always been TNG. Watched the odd Original series but also watched all the films.
    I'm still looking forward to it.
    Don't go to the movie expecting it to be accurate in ANY WAY. Go in with the expectation that you will see an action comedy (which is odd since it attempts some major tragedies). The movie is pure camp.
  • Don't go to the movie expecting it to be accurate in ANY WAY. Go in with the expectation that you will see an action comedy (which is odd since it attempts some major tragedies). The movie is pure camp.
    Yeah, Abrams explicitly said it's a reimagining, so there will be differences. Y'know, they're turning Scotty into a girl. ;)

He said it's aimed more towards people who are not already fans of Star Trek than the hardcore followers, so I wouldn't expect it to be consistent with the original universe.
  • The actor that played Shaun from Shaun of the Dead is Scotty. He is adorable.
    Simon Pegg, Ma'am.
    Simon Pegg, Ma'am.
    That's amazing.
    Simon Pegg, Ma'am.
    Sorry, was at work and wasn't going to look it up.
  • ...It was a BSG joke.

Yeah, I saw that Simon Pegg was playing Scotty. I think I am going to have trouble with Sylar playing Spock, but oh well. I have strong character association memory...I have a hard time watching Christian Bale do Batman after being a Newsies fangirl.
  • edited April 2009
    ...It was a BSG joke.
    Teamwork!
    I have strong character association memory...I have a hard time watching Christian Bale do Batman after being a Newsies fangirl.
    I know how you feel, though I get it both ways - imagine the Joker singing Franki Valli with a marching band to impress a girl.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Has anyone read the Star Trek: Countdown comic?

I read all the issues through the iPhone apps. I think it is a pretty good set up for the movie and has interested me in seeing the film.
  • I don't mind a reboot as long as the writer and directer are able to play with the toys in the universe well enough for me to enjoy it. However thinking over it now, the reason some of my Star Trek films were enjoyable to great was the world building that the TV shows had already done. I still enjoyed the Original Series cast in their movies because of the basics of the Star Trek world but this was thousands of times improved in my head when they did a good TNG cast movie - First Contact.
    I'm still going in open minded and with Mrs. MacRoss's comments in mind.
    I'm a comic book geek so deal with a lot of good and bad reboots, lets see how it works on film.
  • If I were to start watching Star Trek with absolutely no past experience with it, which series would you guys recommend I start with?
  • If I were to start watching Star Trek with absolutely no past experience with it, which series would you guys recommend I start with?
    I loved Next Generation when I was a tween. However, watching episodes of it now is difficult because the show (for me) doesn't hold up outside of a few characters I like (Picard, Data and Q). Similarly, I have problems with the sheer cheese of the original series, but if that doesn't bother you, then start with the first and watch through. If you do have issues with "cheese", then I would recommend Deep Space Nine or Voyager. The cheese is there, but not quite so smelly.
    Start with season 3 of The Next Generation. Seasons one and two have fairly low production value, and the series still hadn't decided whether to be camp or grit. Seasons 3 and 4 are the best of the bunch, hands down.
    I'm getting very tempted to start with the original series, since it's on Netflix. I understand it's going to be extremely cheesey, but there are so many in-jokes in things I love, that I feel like its a geeky obligation. Also, the more I hear about the depth underneath it, the more interested I'm becoming (for example, the show had the first interracial kiss).

My problem right now is just with all of these reboots in general. Surely someone out there must have an original idea! I feel like I'm apart of the rip-off generation, even though I know there are just as many brilliant writers now as there were before. Maybe someone can prove me wrong, but in this environment where EVERYTHING is a rehash, couldn't a cool new franchise that really is made for this decade get enough attention!?!
  • I'm getting very tempted to start with the original series, since it's on Netflix.
    If you're in the US, TOS is all free on YouTube.
    I loved Next Generation when I was a tween. However, watching episodes of it now is difficult because the show (for me) doesn't hold up outside of a few characters I like (Picard, Data and Q). Similarly, I have problems with the sheer cheese of the original series, but if that doesn't bother you, then start with the first and watch through. If you do have issues with "cheese", then I would recommend Deep Space Nine or Voyager. The cheese is there, but not quite so smelly.
    I don't know, DS9 was directly borne through TNG even has a number of the cast pass through to it. Very different in tone then the other shows but I really liked it. Voyager was fun too but neither of the two shows had the "intelligence", better said, more philosophical issues were explored in TNG, it had the best writers of all the shows.

I really enjoyed the Picard, Data, Q and really liked the Worf episodes too. I think Worf has been in more Star Trek shows than any other Star Trek character ever since he switched over to DS9 at the end of TNG.
    However I'd still recommend after watching a few choice TNG shows to then go back to the first season and start from there as it lays down the relationship between Picard and Data plus Picard and Q.

If people can stomach the cheese of Star Wars, they should be able to do the same for Star Trek. However keep far, far away from "Enterprise".
    Have to wait all the way to May for the movie in Australia!!
  • I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy Enterprise. Two reasons: First, having been on a submarine, the ship actually had the look of a craft designed for deep space exploration, damn the comforts. Second, the fact it didn't have that "been there done that" feel of the previous shows (TNG, DS9, Voyager).
  • Star Trek TOS: To boldly go where no man has gone before... and bag all the alien chicks we can while we're there.
    Star Trek TNG: To boldly go where no one has gone before... and pontificate on morality while we're at it.
    Star Trek DS9: To boldly go where no one has gone before... and then just sit there and let things happen around us.
    Star Trek Voyager: To boldly go where no one has gone before... and then get knocked the hell out of the park and take too damn long getting back.
    Star Trek Enterprise: To boldly retcon like no one has retconned before...
  • edited May 2009
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'
    Heh. From the crawl in that video: "Unemployment now top fear among men, surpassing 'severing dick vein'"