This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Clubs

edited April 2009 in Everything Else
Not anime clubs. Lol.

Nightclubs. Does anyone here go to any? What types? Hate them? Love them?

I started going to some goth nights at clubs lately. I was a fan of the music for a while and I have a shit ton of black clothes anyway. I tried out Exposure first in NE DC. Not bad and they had a main act I wanted to see. A bit small in number though and they went monthly now because of it. Then I tried Midnight in NW DC. More dance space and a bigger bar. The crowd was just more awesome and it's easy to strike up a conversation. Plus there's a bag check! It's a big minus to me when there's no bag check. A heavy coat gets in the way of dancing.

Comments

• Wow, finally a topic I can talk about.

My brother is a DJ in Panama City Beach, and has been doing it for 17~ years now. He was at Club La Vela for around 10~ years or so, then he went to Spinnaker's, which is right next door. After a few years of that, he went to Latitude's, another club down there, and now he's DJing at a new club at the beach call Club Oxygen, and he guest DJ's at Spinnaker again.

Now, that being said, my brother has introduced me to almost everyone in the industry down here. I'm never anywhere but in the DJ booths, and I've run the light show at La Vela many times. I've also never paid cover to get in.

As far as I can tell, these clubs at the beach don't have anything to offer but being around the opposite sex and dancing in an enclosed space with said people. The ones in the NY/DC/etc. area may be different, but down here, the only reason I go is to check out the equipment in the clubs and in the booths, and to meet people.
  • I don't know much about the regular clubs myself. They seem so blah to me. Then there's the gogo clubs I absolutely hate.
  • I used to go to punk clubs every weekend, sometimes two or three times a week, in my late teens and early twenties. I guess that's a different kind of thing, though -- live shows, not dance clubs. I went to a couple of goth/industrial clubs when I was dating a girl who was into that stuff. Never really did anything for me, despite the fact that I am into some of that music. I've just never been a dancer, I guess. I don't have the patience for any kind of clubs these days -- I can barely stand going to shows anymore. I'm an old man who has no tolerance for these punk kids nowadays. :)

Viga, who was the act you went to see?
  • I'm thinking of going to some clubs now that I'm getting my ID and have a more-or-less stable job. Is there any general advice I should keep in mind?
  • edited April 2009
    I would go to a "nightclub" to see Girl Talk, but that's about the only reason.

Unless we're including about the kinds of clubs Funfetus is talking about in this discussion, but I'm assuming that wasn't the intention.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • As someone who can't metabolize alcohol, doesn't smoke, can't dance, and hates excessively loud environments (I'm not really all that big on rock concerts either), nightclubs offer me nothing in the way of an enjoyable experience.
  • edited April 2009
    I've been to and worked in plenty of clubs. Both behind and in front of the bar (in big clubs like Heaven, Tidy, and Fabric http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-wuTV8TnY where that was filmed) . Generally a pleasant evening had by all. Some people drink too much, others have too many drugs. But mostly people are fine. As long as you're with friends and enjoy the music you'll have fun. Perhaps things are different in the UK
    Post edited by foofly on
  • edited April 2009
    Some Do's and Don'ts:
    -Do let the bouncers handle it. That's what they get paid for.
    -Don't use booze as a social crutch. Shots lead to trouble.
    -Do know your limits when it comes to booze and ...
    -Don't be afraid to speak up when one of your friend's goes over their limit.*1
    -Do watch you drink. Girls and guys.*2
    -Don't go alone. Ever. Going solo makes you an easy target.
    -Do pay attention to your friends. Shit will happen but you can see a train wreck coming a mile away.
    -Don't rely on your DD to stay sober. Make sure you have the number for a taxi and 20$ cash just in case.
    -Do get out. Try to have fun and enjoy yourself. You can join another WoW raid tomorrow any night. Relax.
    -Don't be a idiot. Seriously...

More to come,,,
    EDIT:
    -Don't take candy from strangers. By candy, I mean drinks, drugs, and sex.*3

*1 "Let me get you some water." This line will save your ass.
    *2 Don't be so naive to think girls are the only ones who get drugged at clubs.
    *3 Drinks: It's OK to say yes if someone offers to buy you a drink. Don't let them bring it to you. Walk your ass to the bar and get it directly from the bartender.
    Drugs: If someone is offering you free cocaine in the bathroom, it's not going to be the best stuff on the planet. Honestly, just don't do drugs.
    Sex: This is a hard one to say no to but consider this. If they are willing to sleep with you that first night. They are more then willing and probably have slept with everyone else at the club.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • I used to go to punk clubs every weekend, sometimes two or three times a week, in my late teens and early twenties. I guess that's a different kind of thing, though -- live shows, not dance clubs. I went to a couple of goth/industrial clubs when I was dating a girl who was into that stuff. Never really did anything for me, despite the fact that I am into some of that music. I've just never been a dancer, I guess. I don't have the patience for any kind of clubs these days -- I can barely stand going to shows anymore. I'm an old man who has no tolerance for these punk kids nowadays. :)

Viga, who was the act you went to see?
    The Azoic was the reason I went to a goth club for the first time. Then this past time I went to see Espermachine. Pretty awesome. Like you, I went to shows and not clubs so I don't really count that.
  • The Azoic was the reason I went to a goth club for the first time. Then this past time I went to see Espermachine.
    Never heard of those bands -- checked them out on last.fm. This futurepop/darkwave-y stuff's not really my thing, but it certainly sounds dancey enough. It's probably a lot more fun live. My tastes in goth/industrial lean more toward Christian Death, Bauhaus, Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly -- stuff like that.
  • I've grown out of or am bored of clubs.
    I went nearly every weekend through University however it started to get boring in the last few years and later on as well.
    Annoying because I couldn't make conversation with people which essentially made it antisocial except for meeting up with friends before and after entering the club and around the bar.
    I will still go for certain DJ acts and live bands but I otherwise prefer pubs these days.
  • I like gay clubs that have drag shows. Other than that, most clubs don't appeal to me.
  • The gay club we all went to in Rochester was amazing. ^_~

I prefer lounges to clubs, to be perfectly honest. Of course, if a club played Happy Hardcore or any of the other music I like to dance to, then I would be game.
  • I'm with Rym. I'm a lounge kinda guy. Really, I'm an upscale bar kind of guy. Any place with good beer, comfortable furniture, and a fireplace.
  • I prefer getting together at people's houses if I am going to drink. Pubs are fun and any place with live music is great. Clubs bore me except for gay clubs as mentioned above.
  • edited April 2009
    I'm with Rym. I'm a lounge kinda guy. Really, I'm an upscale bar kind of guy. Any place with good beer, comfortable furniture, and a fireplace.
    You do know that you just described the Pump Station...
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • I would go to clubs, but the ones we have around here have more fights break out than a marathon viewing of Fist of the North Star.
  • I'm with Rym. I'm a lounge kinda guy. Really, I'm an upscale bar kind of guy. Any place with good beer, comfortable furniture, and a fireplace.
    You do know that you just described the Pump Station...
    Funny how that works, eh?
  • So last night I went to a J-Pop club called Pop Show Japan. It's a monthly event at Club Orpheus in Baltimore. The club was okay and there were lots of anime remixes and j-pop to go around. (Although they played Ayumi WAY too much.) The people were basically the weaboo/j-fashion/"cool"otaku of the area con scene. Lots of them were in gyaru, VK or lolita inspired looks. It was fun, but not enough dancing at all. This club was basically made up of the type of people at the con rave that stand around a circle. Lamers. I'm just surprised that there's enough of a fanbase to have a monthly club event!
  • I want to open a gothy lounge/cabaret club.
  • edited April 2010
    I want to open a gothy lounge/cabaret club.
    Well, you've got an opening, Medusa Lounge in LA closed down recently.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I used to frequent clubs, mostly goth clubs, 4-6 times a month but not so much anymore. I love the loud music and the atmosphere but the drink prices scare me. I don't really enjoy dancing but I do have fun watching others dance so I usually sit and people watch.
  • I used to go to clubs a lot, but now they've lost their appeal to me. Occasionally I still go after drinking enough vodka to activate my Russian dancing skills (read thinly disguised Systema) and have fun, but I'm not a fan of music that makes it impossible to talk. Also I'm a hater on most mainstream music, I seriously don't want to dance to lady gaga or cobra starship anymore.

I like to go to house parties where I can spar with a couple of my buddies, or go to a lounge or Irish type bar for a brew with my buddies after training in the summer. Overall drinks are too expensive and it's the wrong atmosphere for me at clubs anymore, although cute girls I know have been known to persuade me to go with them on occasion.
  • Russian dancing skills
    That means something very different in Europe.......
  • Hahaha, thats awesome. It can only mean either fighting or getting laid from what I understand, which are what the actual dancing skills will eventually lead to for me.
  • But I am guessing that you are not that into synchronised dancing, AKA Tecktoniking.
  • After two years of Asian martial arts before I left that business I can't say I'm totally untouched by this. That's what kata is after all right?
  • Hehe, remind me not to get into a mosh pit with you :P.
  • I have an awesome story about mosh pits that jumped into my head for some reason. It was an awesome metal show with 'as I lay dying', 'municipal waste' bodom lamb of god and some other band I don't remember. Anyways I was wearing skater shoes and in the pit I lost one, which really irritated me. So I went back in by myself, found the shoe, knelt down and put it back on all without being crushed to death. That was during the bodom part of the show too, so it was a pretty crazy pit.

If you're a metal fan you will understand this feat.
  • Heh, I've been drinking with the Guys from Municipal Waste, I'm the roadie for my Housemate's band (aka, I lug shit about, fix problems, and get free tickets to gigs) and they opened up for Municipal Waste's leeds gig. Good guys, met the lads from 3 inches of Blood that night, too.