This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• In the US is it hard to get fresh herbs from the supermarkets or just expensive?
    They are in every produce section. They cost more than dried herbs, but they aren't that expensive. Really, just growing your own herbs is the cheapest, easiest way to get them.
  • In the US is it hard to get fresh herbs from the supermarkets or just expensive?
    OR... You could be my Dad who randomly found a FEILD of chives growing near my house as he was taking a walk Easter morning. True story ask TheWhaleShark. Those where some good damn chives.
  • Those were some good chives.

I'm going to get planters and keep fresh herbs in my kitchen. It's really the best way to go.
  • OR... You could be my Dad who randomly found a FEILD of chives growing near my house as he was taking a walk Easter morning. True story ask TheWhaleShark. Those where some good damn chives.
    Don't eat the once that grow besides the freeway though ;p
  • I should've taken pictures as I was making it, but in the crock pot right now, I've got some black bean, beef, and chorizo chili cooking up. Smells amazing.
    My chili took 2nd place (out of 7 contestants) in our workplace chili cookoff. Not too bad, especially considering that the recipe isn't one that people eat very often.

I've already planned my next two projects. I'm going to repeat the Wellington and get it perfect this time; I'm also going to try making my own puff pastry while I'm at it.

The second project is going to be a variation on faarikal, a traditional Norwegian dish consisting of braised lamb and white cabbage. I'm going to try the same basic idea (braised lamb and cabbage), but use red cabbage; add in carrots; spice it with cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; and use mead as part or all of the braising liquid.
  • The second project is going to be a variation on faarikal, a traditional Norwegian dish consisting of braised lamb and white cabbage. I'm going to try the same basic idea (braised lamb and cabbage), but use red cabbage; add in carrots; spice it with cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; and use mead as part or all of the braising liquid.
    That sounds amazing. I love the cloves/ginger/nutmeg spice combo (so good on oatmeal); I usually have cinnamon and cardamom in the mix as well.
  • The second project is going to be a variation on faarikal, a traditional Norwegian dish consisting of braised lamb and white cabbage. I'm going to try the same basic idea (braised lamb and cabbage), but use red cabbage; add in carrots; spice it with cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; and use mead as part or all of the braising liquid.
    That sounds amazing. I love the cloves/ginger/nutmeg spice combo (so good on oatmeal); I usually have cinnamon and cardamom in the mix as well.
    I'm thinking of tossing in some allspice as well.
  • Again, I lament my lack of pictures, but I just made chicken piccata (Alton Brown's recipe) served over linguine in garlic and oil. Damn tasty.
  • Using what I learned from the beef bourguignon in the crock pot, I'm going to attempt to stir fry some beefs this week. I think I can really make it a lot more like what you get at the teppanyaki (hibachi).
  • I like this thread. :)
    But then again I also use my recreational free time to watch the cooking channel so...

I have decided I'll give you guys my chocolate croissant recipe when I make it. :D I made them last year and all my friends gobbled them down in one sitting (30 croissants?!). I also recently made some delicious key lime pie and coconut rum cake. The latter was my favorite.
  • edited April 2009
    It begins.
    That's lamb stock in the making, which will be used tomorrow night as part of the braising liquid for my fårikål variant.

EDIT: I've washed my hands 4 times, and they still smell a bit like raw lamb. This is a good thing.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I promised a friend that I would visit her and cook. I asked her to send me some recipes, and we ended up going with this Honey Lime Tilapia recipe. I added a teaspoon of minced ginger to the marinade, used zuchinni instead of asparagus (my friend and I both dislike asparagus), and took the advice from the comments and skipped the poultry seasoning. I used salt and lemon pepper.

It ended up needing more salt than I originally put in, but the texture of the fish/veggies was perfect.

I keep forgetting my camera, so no pictures again.
  • My parents are leaving for a short holiday soon. From next Thursday I will be cooking my own food. Does anyone here have some nice recipe that are cheap and easy too cook? I will probably be without camera, but I'll you how it pans out.

I'll be home with my sister, but I think she want's to take care of her own food.
  • My parents are leaving for a short holiday soon. From next Thursday I will be cooking my own food. Does anyone here have some nice recipe that are cheap and easy too cook?
    All recipes is a great place to start. As far as good recipes, can you be more specific beyond "cheap?" For example:

What do you like to eat?
    What is your skill level in the kitchen?
    Are there foods that you can't/won't eat for any reason?
  • edited April 2009
    recipes that are cheap and easy to cook?
    Noodles! Pasta is super easy, cheap, and yummy.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • My parents are leaving for a short holiday soon. From next Thursday I will be cooking my own food. Does anyone here have some nice recipe that are cheap and easy too cook? I will probably be without camera, but I'll you how it pans out.
  • [vid]
    I'm defiantly going to try this. Thanks
    What do you like to eat?
    What is your skill level in the kitchen?
    Are there foods that you can't/won't eat for any reason?
    I got some money from my parents so I won't have to pay for my own food after all. What I don't like are mushrooms (any of them) and certain vegetables like Asparagus and Endive (though I like most).

I have cooked one entire meal (under supervision) and I've helped out multiple times in the kitchen. I feel as if I can handle most dishes.

I'm not allergic, but my sister is vegetarian.
  • What I don't like are mushrooms (any of them) and certain vegetables like Asparagus and Endive (though I like most).
    I love mushrooms, but they really have to be done right. If mushrooms are done wrong, they will be sort of chewy and have a funky taste.
  • It is finished. Behold:
    Fårikål, Olsen variation.

It began with these ingredients:
    4 lbs lamb (3 lbs boneless, 1 lb bone-in), cut into chunks - use a cheap cut with fat and connective tissue
    4 lbs red cabbage, coarsely chopped
    1 lb sliced carrot
    2 cups lamb stock
    1 cup dry mead
    Whole nutmeg
    Whole cloves
    Powdered ginger
    Whole allspice
    Cumin seed
    White flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    Olive oil
    Butter

Just a note: the whole spices (except the nutmeg) are toasted and ground before use. I use a mortar and pestle.

Step 1: Season the lamb with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour seasoned with cumin. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in a large sauté pan, and brown the lamb to get some nice flavor going. Work in batches so as to not crowd the pan. When the lamb is brown, remove to a bowl to let it rest, and collect any exuding juices. It should look something like this:
    It's not all seared on all sides, but that's OK. The flavor is there, and that's what matters.

Your pan is probably devastated by this point.
    Let's put that flavor to use.

Step 2: Heat 2 tbsp of butter until it stops foaming, and toss in 15 - 20 whole cloves. Sauté the cloves for about 1 minute, until they start getting fragrant, and then toss in the carrots. Sauté the carrots for about 1 minute, until they start getting glossy.

Step 3: Add the cabbage, season with salt, and sprinkle with about 2 - 3 teaspoons allspice, 1 to 1.5 tablespoons powdered ginger, and grate on about 2 - 3 teaspoons of nutmeg. Toss or stir the cabbage and carrots until everything is nicely combined and fragrant.

Step 4: Pour on the mead, and stir to dissolve any bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer the mead until it's reduced by half; this is going to be hard to tell with such a small volume, so I really just let it simmer for about 5 minutes, until I see reduction.

Step 5: Add the lamb stock to the pan, and season lightly with salt again (my lamb stock is unsalted, so it needs to be seasoned now).
    Stir everything to combine, throw the lid on the pan, and put it in the oven at 250 F for about 5 - 6 hours.

After 3 hours, we should start our side dish: slow-roasted herbed potatoes. Of course, you set aside about 1 tablespoon of lamb fat before all this, because lamb fat can be useful.

Quarter about 5 decent-sized Yukon gold potatoes and rinse off the excess starch. Place the potato quarters in a bowl.

Heat a frying pan or skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and the lamb fat. Cook until most of the fat has rendered, then toss in about 2 cloves of garlic, minced. Saute until the garlic is fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat for about 1 minute, then pour the fat/garlic mixture over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle in about 2 - 3 tablespoons of freshly chopped thyme. Toss the potatoes to coat them, place on a baking sheet, and pop into the oven for 2 - 3 hours.

They start off like this:
    And end up like this:

Delicious.
  • edited April 2009
    I made Redbull and chicken korma tonight. Tastes surprisingly good. Should have thought to write up a recipe/take pictures, but I'll be making this again, methinks, so I'll do it then.

Edit - as in, I made chicken Korma with redbull in it, not that I brewed up some suspect energy drink in my kitchen, and then made curry.
    Post edited by Churba on
    *Drool* That looks really good.

Did you use a particular recipe for the lamb stock, or did you improvise?
    *Drool* That looks really good.

Did you use a particular recipe for the lamb stock, or did you improvise?
    Improvised. It's pretty easy, really. I used roughly 1.5 lbs of lamb bones and scraps, poured in some white wine (about 3 cups), then used water to finish covering the bones. Start the boiling, skim off the foam, throw in a bunch of thyme, bay leaf, black peppercorns, a quartered red onion, 2 split carrots, and 2 split celery stalks. Simmer for 3 hours or so.
  • Pete, seriously, why don't you come live with us and cook all our meals?
  • Pete, seriously, why don't you come live with us and cook all our meals?
    You don't have a gas stove.
  • We will soon! When we get the house...
  • We will soon! When we get the house...
    Install a brewery in the basement and I'll give it serious thought.
  • Stir fry results:

Vegetables were great.
    I used some Thai noodles and they came out tasting like restaurant quality. Amazing.

The beef was meat gum, again. I think I might give up on meat stir fry and stick with veggie.
  • What cut of beef are you using?
    Stir Fry beef. It's pre-cut into strips already at the grocery store.
    Stir Fry beef. It's pre-cut into strips already at the grocery store.
    That's not a cut of beef.

Get yourself some strip steak, flank steak, or filet, and cut it up yourself.

How exactly are you cooking it?