This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Free Comic Book Day 2009

edited April 2009 in Manga/Comics
This weekend. Don't forget.

Comments

• Damn. I will be in a cabin in the woods. No comic book stores there.
  • Let me save some of you some typing: the free comics that will be available.
  • Nothing looks interesting enough to be worth the trip to my closest comic store.
  • Nothing looks interesting enough to be worth the trip to my closest comic store.
    If it's anything like the comics I got from last year's FCBD, then yeah. It was pretty much all garbage except for one sampler. But then, I don't read Superhero comics, so meh.
    Our local comic book store is about 5 minutes away. My boyfriend and I will still be going because the local comic shops normally have some sort of special or sale on the FCBD.
  • Wow, the only even remotely interesting book out of all of those is the Atomic Robo one.
  • What is wrong with you people? The following are worth getting:

Free mini-mate
    TMNT #1 25th anniversary reprint
    Owly
    Love & Rockets
    Nancy & Melvin
    Comics Festival!
    Atomic Robo
    Bongo: Free Comics For All

Shonen Jump Ultimo - for the lulz
  • edited April 2009

Free mini-mate
    TMNT #1 25th anniversary reprint
    Owly
    Love & Rockets
    Nancy & Melvin
    Comics Festival!
    Atomic Robo
    Bongo: Free Comics For All
    Planning on getting some of those. I also wanted Mercy Sparx. Even if it sucks the art looks cool.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Last year I went to one of the local shops after I got off work and there was nothing good left...but this Saturday is actually the first Saturday in a LONG time that I'm actually not working and didn't even call it off!
    So yeah, I'll probably make a stop up there and see if there's anything worth getting.
  • What is wrong with you people? The following are worth getting:
    Scott, not everybody has the same taste in comics you do. I don't care for superhero or robot comics. That eliminates several of those. I am much more of a fantasy/mystery and/or life comic reader.
  • Scott, not everybody has the same taste in comics you do. I don't care for superhero or robot comics. That eliminates several of those. I am much more of a fantasy/mystery and/or life comic reader.
    I listed only one superhero, if you count Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as superhero. I listed only one robot comic if you count Atomic Robo, which is more wise-ass Indiana Jones who just happens to be a robot.

Ultimo, which I think is superhero and robot was listed ironically.
  • Also, one of the points of Free Comic book day is to try genre's you might not like out at a very reasonable cost... free :-p
  • Last year there was one shop in Finland that participated to Free comic book day and even that was too far. This year I would have to go to Sweden to get some free comic books. Not worth it.
  • Also, one of the points of Free Comic book day is to try genre's you might not like out at a very reasonable cost... free :-p
    No apostrophe required for a plural. :) If you already know you don't like them, why do you need to try them again? I have read some *good* robot/superhero comics...they still only strike me as "meh." I usually will read them if they are shoved in my hands, but I won't go out of the way to get them. I have a very limited amount of time for reading comics. There are still trades of Fables sitting on my shelf that I bought over a year ago. They are unread for lack of time. I much prefer to spend my limited comic-reading time reading the comics I know I will enjoy.

@Scott: when I said "a good chunk of those," I was referring to the available comics as a whole, not just the ones you listed. However, 3/9 is still a good chunk. I used to be really into TMNT when I was young, but the prospect of reading modern comics about them...meh.
  • I used to be really into TMNT when I was young, but the prospect of reading modern comics about them
    That's the great thing, though -- it's a TMNT comic from 25 years ago!
  • I used to be really into TMNT when I was young, but the prospect of reading modern comics about them
    That's the great thing, though -- it's a TMNT comic from 25 years ago!
    Well...MAYBE I'd read that...If I could play Partners in Kryme's T-U-R-T-L-E Power in the background the whole time for Super Nostalgia Power. With no roommates, it's feasible...

Of course, I'm still going to be in a cabin in the woods the whole weekend, so unless someone I know picks it up, I 'm still boned.
  • edited May 2009

Good haul.

Free Comic Book Day books:
    Sonic: Evolution of a Hero -> It's bad. But I had to because it's Sonic.
    Atomic Robo/Drone/We Kill Monsters -> Hilarious/Meh/Interesting.
    Cyber Force -> Really not my thing.
    Owly/Korgi/Johnny Boo/Yam -> Amazing/Amazing/Amazing/Meh.
    FCHS/Remake -> Terrible high school drama/Funny, silly little comic that seems worth checking out.

Stuff-as-many-comics-as-you-can-into-a-bag-for-$10 deal highlights:
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind 1
    Dracula vs. Al Capone 1
    Grenuord 1
    The Filth 10, 12, 13
    Greatest Hits 1
    Batman meets Manhunter

25% off:
    DMZ: On The Ground -> Have been meaning to check it out for forever.
    Scott Pilgrim: Full-color Odds & Ends 2008 -> Reprint of the Scott Pilgrim FCBD book with some extra comics and art. Totally worth it.
    The Armory Wars (four random issues) -> I'm a big Coheed & Cambria fan, so it's really about time I read these.
    The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack -> Couldn't not.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Stuff-as-many-comics-as-you-can-into-a-bag-for-$10 deal highlights:
    Wut...where do you shop for comics at? Sounds fucking awesome.
  • Stuff-as-many-comics-as-you-can-into-a-bag-for-$10 deal highlights:
    Wut...where do you shop for comics at? Sounds fucking awesome.
    The Comic Bug, Manhattan Beach, California.
  • I wish my local comic store was as awesome as that. I walked out with three free comics and V for Vendetta. Their selection sucks.
  • Between the three of us, my friends and I stuffed almost 70 comics into that bag. Sure, 90% are gonna suck, but it's gonna be really fun to sift through them all.
  • That sounds so awesome. Even though I'm not a comic fan, any deal where you stuff as much as you can into a bag for $10 is awesome.