This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• edited May 2009
    How exactly are you cooking it?
    1) Put oil in pan.
    2) Put some garlic in pan. Mmmm :)
    3) Put meat in oil. tssssssssss!
    4) Toss meat around until it is cooked a little on all sides.
    5) Add other stuff to pan.
    6) Toss it all around. Until it is nice and mixed up.
    7) Add sauce.
    8) Make sure sauce is all over everything.
    9) Eat.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2009
    You might want to contemplate throwing some butter in there too; it adds a ton of flavor.

This takes about, what, 3 minutes total? Maybe 5? Basically, how long is the meat in the pan before the veggies?

You may actually want to cook the veggies first and the meat second. If the meat is in thin strips, it'll more than likely cook faster than most vegetables, and it doesn't need to be cooked as thoroughly. Optionally, cook the meat, remove it from the pan, then cook the veggies, and add the meat back in just to sauce.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • How exactly are you cooking it?
    1) Put oil in pan.
    4) Toss meat around until it is cooked a little on all sides.
    5) Add other stuff to pan.
    6) Toss it all around. Until it is nice and mixed up.
    This is possibly the problem. Try setting the meat aside after you cook it. Then cook your veggies, add the meat back in, then add the sauce.

Also, TheWhaleShark is right. Get a fresh cut of meat.

• This is possibly the problem. Try setting the meat aside after you cook it. Then cook your veggies, add the meat back in, then add the sauce.

I did try the removing and readding strategy. It came out about the same.
  • I did try the removing and readding strategy. It came out about the same.
    If that's the case, the meat you're using is just lousy.

@TheWhaleShark: You totally beat me to the puch on my suggestion. I was in a hurry and didn't see your post.

• This is possibly the problem. Try setting the meat aside after you cook it. Then cook your veggies, add the meat back in, then add the sauce.

I did try the removing and readding strategy. It came out about the same.
    It shouldn't. You might be overcooking the meat from the get-go, or as misakyra has again pointed out, you could be using shitty meat.

Here's the thing about direct dry heat (frying is technically a "dry" cooking method, because even though there's liquid, the water content is minimal): you can really only effectively fry a cut of meat that is free of connective tissue and not too lean. If it's too lean, you'll dry it out to the point of it being inedible, and if there's connective tissue, it won't dissolve under direct heat and will wind up holding the meat fibers together.

Here's what I would do. Grab some sirloin strip steak, and cut it into those strips that you buy. Cut them a little bit thicker than the strips normally would be, and try the fry and remove method. If that still winds up being gummy, either your sense of texture is totally off, or you're just overcooking the meat.
  • edited May 2009
    I think I'm also going to try some marinating. Whenever I marinate meats, they always come out great. The problem is that I have to remember to prepare many hours in advance of the actual cooking.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think I'm also going to try some marinating. Whenever I marinate meats, they always come out great. The problem is that I have to remember to prepare many hours in advance of the actual cooking.
    Marinades and brines are amazing ways to improve the flavor of any meat, particularly those that are prone to drying out. Try brining pork some time; it's delicious.

A word of advice, though; I wouldn't stir-fry a marinated meat. Grill it, roast it, broil it, but don't fry it. Hot oil doesn't mix well with water.

• A word of advice, though; I wouldn't stir-fry a marinated meat. Grill it, roast it, broil it, but don't fry it. Hot oil doesn't mix well with water.
    This guy does it.

Of course, he does pat the meat to remove some moisture first.
  • OK, that should be fine. I'm just not a fan of patting my marinade off. Rather roast it or something, and keep that extra flavor.

Give it a shot. You learn to cook primarily by cooking, not reading.
  • So that cheap regression proof pasta dish, with Peas and Prosciutto? I just made it. I'd post photo's, but I don't have a camera at the moment. I fear it might be a little too salty, but I haven't eaten it yet. I'll report back after dinner.
  • edited May 2009
    I stayed home sick today and decided to put the abundance of alone time to good use. Focaccia Bread anyone?

Make sure you have everything you actually need. Sucks making a recipe and then finding out you don't have the key spice...

Everything mixed and kneaded for the first time.

Loaves separated and about to rise the second time.

All done! :)

The thing about facaccia bread is that you need just the right combination of spices. The basil and thyme are key. Next time I would probably double what the recipe required spice-wise. I halved my recipe because the original made about 4 large loaves. And mmmmmm. It smells so good when it's cooking! ^__^ If anyone ever decides to make this, SALT IS YOUR FRIEND! The recipe may look like it calls for a lot, but don't be fooled; you need that much.
    Post edited by bunnikun on
  • That looks awesome.
  • That looks awesome.
    My mom and sister just came home and ate the whole first loaf. ;_; Nuuuuu my bread.
  • I just realized another difference between what I do and what people do in cooking videos. It seems like everyone else is heating up the pan, then putting the oil in, then putting the meat in right away. I was heating up the pan with the oil in it already. Do you think that makes a difference?
  • That really looks fantastic.

I feel like I should be baking bread right now. I haven't actually done it in quite some time.
  • I just realized another difference between what I do and what people do in cooking videos. It seems like everyone else is heating up the pan, then putting the oil in, then putting the meat in right away. I was heating up the pan with the oil in it already. Do you think that makes a difference?
    Yes. At the very least, it's faster to heat the pan by itself.
    Pre-heated oil instantly seers the meat. It doesn't really make a huge difference, it just depends on how you like your meat done.

And yes. :3 Bread making is so much fun! I'll have to make croissants for you guys next time. n__n
    With butter, it burns. The shorter the butter is in, the less 'burn-like' taste it has.

I assume something similar is also true for oil.
    With butter, it burns. The shorter the butter is in, the less 'burn-like' taste it has.

I assume something similar is also true for oil.
    Depends on the oil. If he's using peanut or safflower oil, that's probably not a problem. If you wind up burning peanut oil, you've got other problems on your hands.

I think it mostly has to do with maintaining quick, even heating. Cold oil in the pan will act as a heat sink, and the pan won't heat evenly. Heat it dry and pour in the oil, and the pan just has to recover a little bit. You can run the oil around the pan and suck heat evenly from the whole thing, maintaining an even heat profile.
  • As with burnt butter, you can make some clarified butter, or mix butter with an oil with a higher smoke point. Its so effective you can even stir fry with the clarified butter.
  • Focaccia Bread anyone?
    That looks delicious.

I've been spending most of my days off baking cakes, which hasn't left much time/energy for baking bread. I'm going to have to rectify that.
  • Another one of my famous 3AM curries - another one of my modified recipies, Lamb rogan Josh, with lemon and Mexican Beer.

Fan-bloody-tastic.
  • edited May 2009
    I know this is random, but anyhow, American eggs are real weird, all white. English eggs are brown, must be some strange regional thing.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • We get both kinds here in Australia.
  • There are brown eggs in the U.S., too.
  • Maybe the UK has no white eggs.
  • I know this is random, but anyhow, American eggs are real weird, all white. English eggs are brown, must be some strange regional thing.
    Since the 1980s the British industry has produced almost 100 per cent brown shelled eggs, although several other countries still produce white shelled eggs.
  • I know this is random, but anyhow, American eggs are real weird, all white. English eggs are brown, must be some strange regional thing.
    Since the 1980s the British industry has produced almost 100 per cent brown shelled eggs, although several other countries still produce white shelled eggs.
    I guess it has something to do with Thatcher and trade unions, that or the Illuminati are at it again
  • I just made tacos for dinner. I didn't do pictures or anything. I just followed the directions on the package, so I don't even need to post a recipe. However, there are a couple things related to this taco making that I want to talk about.

First of all Nueva Cocina is the shit. This is the second time I've used their beef seasoning for tacos, and they are amazing. There were even raisins in there. Also, Rym made one of their rice mixes. Where was this company when we were at RIT? I can't tell you how many times I ate nasty Rice-A-Roni. Their rice mix tastes like what you get at a quality Mexican restaurant. <3 Nueva Cocina.

Secondly, I recently bought some new knives because the ones we have were so shitty. I went to the <a href="http://www.broadwaypanhandler.com/broadway/">Broadway Panhandler because they were so helpful in recommending the world's greatest bread knife to us. The salesman helped me get a Shun Classic chef's knife and paring knife. There was a special deal, and I got both for a grand total of $173.38 after taxes and such. Huge bargain. These knives are amazing. I expect them to last me for the next decade or two. I used them for the first time today to chop some pepper, onion, and tomato for the tacos. Yes, I know, fancy knives for lowly tacos, but that's what they're for.