This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How to Not Suck at Restaurants

edited April 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss how to not suck at dining at restaurants. In the news, Chrysler is bankrupt and Optimum Ultra 101Mbps.

Comments

• edited April 2009
    I'm a bit confused as to how one can suck at dining at restaurants in the first place.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm a bit confused as to how one can suck at dining at restaurants in the first place.
    Tipping, manners, reservations, splitting the bill, and deciding who pays on a date all come to mind.
  • When can I expect the Kavalier and Clay episode? I finished that book ages ago.
  • I'm a bit confused as to how one can suck at dining at restaurants in the first place.
    Tipping, manners, reservations, splitting the bill, and deciding who pays on a date all come to mind.
    In addition, looking at where to go, how often to go, and how you can eat healthier.

One of my friends is a lazy ass and goes out to eat all the damn time and wonders where his paychecks go each and every week.
  • Rym's weird phrasing in the opener made me think they were going to talk about eating out.

Which reminds me, I have a suggestion for another Thursday show.
  • Rym's weird phrasing in the opener made me think they were going to talk abouteating out.
    Which reminds me, I have a suggestion for another Thursday show.
    I don't know that Scott would have much to say on the topic.
  • I'm sure Scott would be happy to have Rym teach him, though.
  • When can I expect the Kavalier and Clay episode? I finished that book ages ago.
    Soon, probably. Rym just finished it last week. I re-read it a month ago.
  • Soon, probably. Rym just finished it last week. I re-read it a month ago.
    Yes. Scott is going to breeze through it again to refresh his memory, and then we'll go at it. We'll probably have Emily on the show too. ^_^
  • Anyone who is near the Albany area and is looking to try some fine dining will want to check out Restaurant Week. 19 of the best area restaurants are offering a fix price menu May 3rd-9th. $20.09 gets you a three course meal at some fantastic places. That may have been outside your budget otherwise. I've already made reservation for Marche, The Hollywood Brown Derby and The Pump Station.
  • edited May 2009
    Just a note on the Chrysler Bankruptcy:

Chrysler filed for Chapter 11. It will allow Chrysler to reorganize and eliminate some debt. When Chrysler accepted government money, they also accepted the terms that came with that aid. Essentially, Chrysler had to 1) make a better deal with the UAW and the CAW; 2) make a deal with Fiat; and 3) make a new deal with their bond holders. They accomplished 1 and 2. Since they met two out of the three criteria, the business was leaner and a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (a full liquidation of the company) was not viewed as an appropriate option. Due to the nature of the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chrysler will be active during the Bankruptcy as a partially separate entity. Chrysler is expected to survive the Bankruptcy by most insiders (owing mostly to their new deal with Fiat and new union agreements). When they reemerge, they will not be Chrysler as it has been for the past few years (but major shifts in operation and focus are old hat for a company that is bought and sold every decade, like Chrysler).
    I know certain aspects of the deal with Fiat that I cannot disclose. However, many news agencies are already reporting that Fiat executives may be taking over Chrysler's management and Fiats should be available in the U.S. sooner than many would have assumed even a month ago.
    EDIT: With the Bankruptcy, Chrysler can renegotiate and cancel their dealer contracts. This will help the industry as there are too many dealers for the demand (even in fat times).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'd just like to reiterate that: Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech not being something that every modern person has heard is a great tragedy.
  • I'm going to have to agree with Rym, there are no good non-chain restaurants in Columbia, MD. Eating out is a lot easier and better when you live near a large city.

Oh, and the Fit is an awesome little car. I love my Fit.
  • I'm going to have to agree with Rym, there are no good non-chain restaurants in Columbia, MD. Eating out is a lot easier and better when you live near a large city.

Oh, and the Fit is an awesome little car. I love my Fit.
    Honda Fit = win. If you feel like splurging on the model with the GPS, I can say that it's wonderful, but probably an unnecessary expense.
  • Honda Fit = win. If you feel like splurging on the model with the GPS, I can say that it's wonderful, but probably an unnecessary expense.
    I think I'm going to get a GPS just because I am going to be bringing my car to school next year.
  • edited May 2009
    Just buy a standalone GPS, the ones that are included with cars are waaaaay overpriced.
    Post edited by djfooboo on
  • There was a recent ask Engadget about the best GPS unit. There was a consensus that the Garmin nuv 265WT was the best, and it comes with free lifetime automatic traffic updates. Even though I wouldn't use it all that often, I'm thinking about getting it. I'm not going to get a new car for a very long time, so either I buy a GPS or I go without one for many years.

I am going to wait a little bit just to make sure they don't do the realtime GPS on the iPhone. They said they were going to, but I doubt the quality will be good enough to replace an actual unit.
  • I love my Garmin nuvi 850 with voice recognition. It's since been obsoleted by the 855, but it's really a great GPS. The recognition works pretty well, and is much better than trying to type something in. The biggest thing it has a problem with is when trying to say the name of a point of interest ("Burger King." "You said Berthier. Is this correct?"). If you can't afford this one, the models just below it that don't have voice recognition work just as well.
  • I have a Garmin StreetPilot c340. It's good, but it appears that most of the nuvi models are cheaper than it...yet I know that the nuvis are all around better...what the fuck. I got this as a gift, so whatever.
  • Honda Fit = win.
    I had to wiki this thing. We call it the Honda Jazz. Only communists and Americans call it the 'Fit'. Dohohoho.
  • I had to wiki this thing. We call it the Honda Jazz. Only communists and Americans call it the 'Fit'. Dohohoho.
    The manufacturer calls is the Honda Fit in the original country. lol.
  • edited May 2009
    Ah, that explains why it has such a stupid name. I certainly prefer "Jazz."
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The manufacturer calls is the Honda Fit in the original country.lol.
    Ugh, my bad, I skimmed over 'Japan' on the Wikipedia page somehow. Probably because it's not a link. Doesn't make much difference, still only communists, Americans and Japanese call it the Fit. ;) I prefer 'Jazz'.
  • Jazz and Fit are both dumb names. You aren't going to get fit with that car, nor are you going to be doing much of anything jazz related with it, unless you turn on the jazz station on the radio or something.
  • They call it the Fit because it's supposed to "fit" your needs. Also, it fits into tight parking spaces like a champ.
  • They call it the Fit because it's supposed to "fit" your needs. Also, it fits into tight parking spaces like a champ.
    Parallel parking for the win.
  • Okay I see where you guys are going with the fast food hierarchy but how do you categorize places like Panera, and Chipotle? Not that you should eat at these places any more than a McDonald's or any place like that but wouldn't you still have to put places like that in their own category?
  • Okay I see where you guys are going with the fast food hierarchy but how do you categorize places like Panera, and Chipotle? Not that you should eat at these places any more than a McDonald's or any place like that but wouldn't you still have to put places like that in their own category?
    Panera and Chipotle fall around Subway. Below a full restaurant, above good fast food.
  • I like Panera's food, but I think I mostly go for the atmosphere. Living in the 'burbs, with the only real cafe closed for renovations and a name change, there's not many places to hang out.