This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Opera

edited September 2008 in Art!
To spin off of the "Classical" Music thread, here is the Opera thread, beginning with my all time favorite aria from one of the best contemporary talents:
wiUCGO7XzrM

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Once again I was fooled by the threads title - I thought this was going to be a discussion about the internet browser "Opera"..
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • edited September 2008
    I was a supernumerary in a production of Rigoletto. During rehearsals, I was able to listen to that opera all the way through about twenty times. If you think opera is cool, you should try being an supernumerary and having the principals sing while standing right next to you.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Once again I was fooled by the thread's title - I thought this was going to be a discussion about the internet browser "Opera"...
  • edited September 2008
    I've been into the classical musics for a long time but only got into opera recently. I've seen four live performances, maybe ten Met Opera in HD performances at the cinema, and loads of DVDs/CDs. I never had much appreciation for Mozart, Vivaldi or Handel until I heard their operas. There are a bunch of classical/opera podcasts in my Google Reader and I recommend seeking them out.

While we're posting videos, does everyone remember this?
    Post edited by Paulathon on

• I saw La Rondine at the opera on Saturday. It was amazing.
  • I went to a russian opera the other day because I had a free ticket through the radio station I'm on. Couldn't understand a bloody word, but it was quite nice.
  • I saw Wagner's The Flying Dutchman on Friday. It was pretty badass.
  • Once again I was fooled by the thread's title - I thought this was going to be a discussion about the internet browser "Opera"...
    You guys are silly. It's in the ART category.
  • You guys are silly. It's in the ART category.
    The Opera browser IS a work of art. (Or at least it was back when it was the only browser with tabs.) But seriously, I got fooled too. I don't tend to notice the categories.
  • I saw Wagner's The Flying Dutchman on Friday. It was pretty badass.
    I saw a "modern" interpretation a few months ago. It was horrible.
  • Just saw Carmen, it was awful.
  • i saw my first opera when i was about 13 years old it was a medley of clips of 4 short operas that were to be preformed the next evening. it was in Italian and the theater had a translator screen above the stage. i laughed and cried and gave a standing ovation after wards. it was absolutely amazing.

tell about your first opera experiences.
  • I love the theater in Portland simply because it has the translation, I liked Opera before, I love it now that I can actually tell what they are saying.
  • Just saw Carmen, it was awful.
    Really? Why did you think it was so bad? I'm of the mind that it's a classic.
  • edited May 2016
    Damn forum search. You type "Opera browser" and get this thread.
    Also, Funfetus' post in the search results is VERY convincing...
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Last year I went to see Riggoletto, it was lovely. La donna mobile.
  • I can't recommend the Glimmerglass Festival in Cooperstown, NY highly enough. The quality of the performances, the variety of shows and talks, and the unique location and theatre make it a truly special event.
  • edited May 2016
    I need to try it. I've only spent tonnes of money and donned my top hat for the super popular stuff at the Met. (I'm joking about the top hat). Though I do remember when I was 15 or 16 my mom took me to La Boheme and the lady at the desk made 2 assumptions that made me laugh. She assumed I was old enough to drink and that my mother was my date.
    Post edited by Naoza on