This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Yay! Great to hear, Adam! That's awesome!
  • When Rym and Scott take over the world, we at least have a good education minister [/head of education? would it be a Chinese democracy or a strait up dictatorship?].

Congratulations on being so awesome! Macros High-Five! *High-five connects, exploding into a shower of tiny foam #1 hands which fly off into the distance trailing smoke*
  • When Rym and Scott take over the world, we at least have a good education minister [/head of education? would it be a Chinese democracy or a strait up dictatorship?].
    Whatever pays more.
    Congratulations on being so awesome! Macros High-Five! *High-five connects, exploding into a shower of tiny foam #1 hands which fly off into the distance trailing smoke*
    Someone needs to do a gif of that shit! Srsly!
    Whatever pays more.
    Viga? Could you spread some more of your awesomeness with this clever concept?
  • This is pretty spectacular seeing are a 90/90 school (meaning that 90% of students receive free lunch and 90% are black)
    This metric makes me uncomfortable.
  • The metric reflects the percentage of children who are likely to come from a weak social background, which correlates to success in education.
    It sounds racial, but so is reality.

Boo yah! - A blue-eyed-blond-hair guy started flirting with me today. I'm not gay, so I turned him down.
    Still, feels great.
  • The metric reflects the percentage of children who are likely to come from a weak social background, which correlates to success in education.
    It sounds racial, but so is reality.
    This metric still makes me uncomfortable.
  • edited May 2009
    On a somewhat related note: What's the name given to the value of a dosage that kills half of test subjects?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • On a somewhat related note: What's the name given to the value of a dosage that kills half of test subjects?
    The LD50.
    Whatever pays more.
    I don't think I can contain and draw that awesome. Funfetus...
    Whatever pays more.
    I don't think I can contain and draw that awesome. Funfetus...
    Oh man -- I can't animate. Gomidog...?
    Huzzah! Two-in-one, here. Got custom songs to work for me in GH3, and then 5-starred Jordan on expert.
  • This metric still makes me uncomfortable.
    What about it makes you uncomfortable?
    The fact that minorities and people from the lower classes are usually less successful in their education and careers because they are not given the same opportunities or come from unstable environments bothers me. To ignore that fact because it makes others uncomfortable and to ignore the greater achievement for overcoming those odds only fosters the greater problem.
  • Moved into my new apartment in Boston. Start the new job tomorrow.
  • What about it makes you uncomfortable?
    Thefactthat minorities and people from the lower classes are usually less successful in their education and careers because they are not given the same opportunities or come from unstable environments bothers me.
    What scares me a little -- and I am not saying this is something you or the Mr. do -- is that while I understand that the metric is measuring existing demographic consistencies, it seems too easy to take it out of context and assign causation to the factors: They are bad performers because they are poor. They are bad performers because they are black. It's a very tenuous position.
  • I finally worked through my gmail issues. But you know what? Fuck Open DNS.
  • But you know what? Fuck Open DNS.
    Can't say we didn't tell you all so. ^_~
  • I don't think I've read/heard what you've said about open DNS before, or if I have I didn't remember as it was an unfamiliar topic. I only used it for some comparative tests.
  • I don't think I've read/heard what you've said about open DNS before, or if I have I didn't remember as it was an unfamiliar topic. I only used it for some comparative tests.
    I don't remember anything about OpenDNS as well. I would like some linkage to the appropriate thoughts.
  • Just listened to the relevant bit. I've no opinion on the dns broken/not broken or the technical issues, but you hit the nail on the head with the "If it ain't there, give me a domain not found message!"
  • What about it makes you uncomfortable?
    Thefactthat minorities and people from the lower classes are usually less successful in their education and careers because they are not given the same opportunities or come from unstable environments bothers me.
    What scares me a little -- and I am not saying this is something you or the Mr. do -- is that while I understand that the metric is measuring existing demographic consistencies, it seems too easy to take it out of context and assign causation to the factors: They are bad performersbecausethey are poor. They are bad performersbecausethey are black. It's a very tenuous position.
    But this shatters that stereotype specifically. Anyone who says poor kids of racial minority are always going to fail because they are poor and black basically doesn't have a leg to stand on. We have those kids who are often stereotyped and we dominated the tests.

It also helps show that NCLB (No Child Left Behind) is a big sack of shit because it demonstrates that with proper funding, public schools could perform better. Denying funds to public schools because of a slip in performance on standardized tests was/is/will always be a phenomenally stupid idea and this was further proof of that fact. We have the same kids as any other public school can have in Albany, and we still performed because we have excellent classrooms and 2 teachers in every class who are talented and caring.
  • I passed 15,000 words on my third novel project, codenamed "Human Danger", which means I'm quarter done on the first draft. I was aiming for 1,500 words per day, but it is a bit unrealistic for this project, as I'm having to do continuous research, checking reference material every few paragraphs. I'm averaging 1,090 words per day instead.

I'm going to change my goal on this one from 60,000 words in 40 days to 60,000 words in 50 days. That should also free up some time to finish the first edit on novel number two, (codenamed "Monster Story").
  • edited May 2009
    I passed 15,000 words on my third novel project, codenamed "Human Danger", which means I'm quarter done on the first draft. I was aiming for 1,500 words per day, but it is a bit unrealistic for this project, as I'm having to do continuous research, checking reference material every few paragraphs. I'm averaging 1,090 words per day instead.
    Man, that reminds me. I never got around to reading your first one, what with writing that screenplay. I need to do that.

Did I mention that I wrote a screenplay last month? I was 25 pages of my 100 page goal, but I think 75 a page screenplay in less than a month is a definite boo yah.

I also kong vaulted a picnic table (long ways) for the first time. For those who don't know, this is what that looks like:

Post edited by Walker on
  • I hiked from Breakneck Ridge to the fire watchtower on Mount Beacon in 2:15:00.

And while I failed to run my Mouse Guard game today, I conversely found a house that I very likely will have purchased by the end of the week.
  • And while I failed to run my Mouse Guard game today, I conversely found a house that I very likely will have purchased by the end of the week.
    Does this mean you have found the new Geekhaus?!
  • I conversely found a house that I very likely will have purchased by the end of the week.
    Awesome.

So toward the end of my run just now, I came across a dude in a wheelchair who looked like he was having trouble getting up the hill. I asked him if he'd like some help, and he said yes, he was going to the park, and would I push him to the top of the hill? So I pushed him two blocks to the top of the hill. Not really a "boo yah!", but I feel pretty good about it.
  • Good luck with the house, Rym!

I don't have so much of a booh yah. My video project is going well, I guess. I have a show tonight; those are always booh yah moments.
  • Forgive me for the all caps message, but this was warranted

I GOT THE NEW PUNCH-OUT AND IT FRICKIN' ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!
  • I won my first primary, unopposed, now for the real battle!