This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Trek

Comments

• Watched it Friday night and it was very enjoyable (as a casual Trek fan myself), and I did get a lot of the jokes.
    That being said, I can't remember for the life of me if the line below was said: (The probability is quite high I guess.)

• Maybe I am alone on this (there were several points in the film when I laughed aloud and no one else did).
    We experienced that too. On the other hand, I recall this kind of thing happens to us a lot.
  • Maybe I am alone on this (there were several points in the film when I laughed aloud and no one else did).
    We experienced that too. On the other hand, I recall this kind of thing happens to us a lot.
    We were in a theater half-full of geeks. I could tell because half the people laughed at the inside jokes and the other half didn't.
  • I thought that the comic relief was totally out of place with the whole 6 billion people dying part. I think if they took out every other funny moment, it would have been fine. I enjoyed it otherwise.
  • I thought that the comic relief was totally out of place with the whole 6 billion people dying part. I think if they took out every other funny moment, it would have been fine. I enjoyed it otherwise.
    They were just vulcans they were not actually people :-p
  • edited May 2009
    I thought that the comic relief was totally out of place with the whole 6 billion people dying part. I think if they took out every other funny moment, it would have been fine. I enjoyed it otherwise.
    I felt worse for the red shirt than I did for Wynona Ryder.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I thought that the comic relief was totally out of place with the whole 6 billion people dying part.
    That's why they call it comic relief. It's supposed to offer moments of relief from the drama.
    I felt worse for the red shirt than I did for Wynona Ryder.
    Normally, I feel bad for red shirts but his own cockiness caused his death.
  • Finally seen it tonight! I think me and my luv were the only geeks there because we laughed at some things. I was on the fence about this movie for awhile. Now that I seen it...well wow.
  • I think Kirk's mom had the fastest childbirth ever. She must have shot that shit out like a rocket.
  • She must have shot that shit out like a rocket.
    Boldly going where no womb has gone before?
  • I think Kirk's mom had the fastest childbirth ever. She must have shot that shit out like a rocket.
    Kegel and Crisco?
  • edited May 2009
    I want to thank whoever suggested starting with The Next Generation. I watched a few episodes of DS9 and it bored me to tears (maybe they were just bad episodes?) but I fell in love with TNG. I'm watching it in order, and I'm on S01E16 now.

Edit: I really like DS9's theme song, and I think the ship design is really neat. But the show seems really heavy on the politics and such, and I have trouble getting into it.

Am I the only one who thinks Patrick Stewart would make an excellent Doctor? Ignoring character/actor associations can be difficult for some people, I understand, but he still seems perfect for the part.

I'm going to see the new movie on Saturday.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • he still seems perfect for any part.
    Fixed that for ya.
  • he still seems perfect foranypart.
    Fixed that for ya.
    Yes, you know he would make a great Romeo or Othello. ^_~
  • edited May 2009
    Am I the only one who thinks Patrick Stewart would make an excellentDoctor? Ignoring character/actor associations can be difficult for some people, I understand, but he still seems perfect for the part.
    I'd rather have him than the guy after Tennant. Sigh...but almost no one can replace 10th Doctor for me. Sigh...
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Am I the only one who thinks Patrick Stewart would make an excellentDoctor? Ignoring character/actor associations can be difficult for some people, I understand, but he still seems perfect for the part.
    I'd rather have him than the guy after Tennant. Sigh...but almost no one can replace 10th Doctor for me. Sigh...
    Don't judge until you see him play the part. The casting people seem pretty damn confident that he's the absolute best person to continue the legacy.
  • edited May 2009
    I still wish the new Doctor had been a female and/or of another ethnic background. However, substance over look should win the day. If Matt Smith ends up being wonderful, I won't begrudge his gender or his pasty, pasty whiteness.

EDIT: Back to the topic at hand, did anyone particularly dislike any casting choices other than Winona Ryder?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So, am I the only one whose first thought upon seeing Spock wearing this was, "Huh...Do Vulcans knit? Maybe his Mom made that..."

• So, am I the only one whose first thought upon seeing Spock wearing this was, "Huh...Do Vulcans knit? Maybe his Mom made that..."
    I remember thinking it looked a bit too "snuggly" for Vulcan attire, but I thought it was a choice to make him look "softer" than the others.
  • especially since Vulcan is a planet-wide desert.

In regards to the comic relief, it was more like a science fiction comedy with occasional dramatic relief.
    You know, for such an advanced race they sure do have a shitty planet.
  • I just saw it today with the largest group of friends I had ever gathered for this purpose (there were about two or so dozen of us). It was fucking awesome.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that it was Admiral Richard Garriott who was conducting Kirk's hearing at the beginning of the movie?
  • Incidentally, did anyone else notice that it was Admiral Richard Garriott who was conducting Kirk's hearing at the beginning of the movie?
    We noticed it was Madea.
    SPOILERS: That's actually something that was bothering my boyfriend and I. Only ten thousand Vulcans survive the destruction of their homeworld? I mean, we're talking about a civilization that has had FTL travel long enough for a portion of their population to have left the planet and diverged into a different sub-species; you'd think that by now they would have at least one extrasolar colony with a significant population of it's own.

All in all, I enjoyed the film a great deal, although there were some elements (such as the one above) that I found issue with.

Good things: 1. The first three minutes of the film, before the Narada even attacks. That's what I want from a space opera.
    2. The way they mixed the popular Trek cliches (ex. "Kirk nailing a green chick") with taking the time to clear up the popular misconceptions (ex. Vulcans suppress their emotions, they're not naturally unemotional).
    3. A blue-collar Romulan villian. Brilliant. Too often in Star Trek, they seem to ignore the non-military, non-scientists of the alien species...or worse, depict all members of a species with a single job description (Ferengi, Malon, etc.).
    4. The transporter technology actually felt non-trivial. There really seemed to be limits to what it could reasonably be expected to do. Granted, they kept surpassing these limits for dramatic effect, but they always managed to make those moments feel dramatic.

Bad things: 1. Oh boy, another alien ship that's more powerful than the Enterprise and that the Enterprise alone must try to defeat.
    2. The entire explanation of the future events that led to the Romulans and Spock traveling through time left far too many awkward questions for my taste. Exactly how does a single super-nova threaten an entire galaxy? If it was a threat to the galaxy, why was an ambassador (who, granted, did have a background as a science officer...a century ago) sent in a one-man ship to solve the problem? And don't even get me started on red matter...
    3. Kicking the Narada while it was down. It was already stuck in the gravity well of a singularity; did you really need to shoot it on top of that?

Finally: Anyone else notice a visual similarity between that "red vagina lizard" and the Cloverfield monster?
  • Saw it last night as a person who has never sat through an entire episode of Star Trek. I felt my money was not wasted, which is saying a lot coming from me. I laughed at some inappropriate parts like when the Vulcan gets smashed by the giant statue. It was just funny to me.
  • Just got out of the cinema a couple of hours ago. Karl Urban as Bones and Zachary Quinto as Spock were definitely highlights. The CG was spectacular.
    I do think that hearing the Beastie Boys in Star Trek was weird, but remember First Contact?

The whole chase scene with young Kirk just seemed a little unnecessary and I think nothing would have been lost if it was removed.
    But otherwise an enjoyable film, a good modern retelling of an old classic.
  • edited May 2009

Edit - Embedded the wrong one, sorry.
    Post edited by Churba on
    SPOILERS:That's actually something that was bothering my boyfriend and I. Only ten thousand Vulcans survive the destruction of their homeworld? I mean, we're talking about a civilization that has had FTL travel long enough for a portion of their population to have left the planetand diverged into a different sub-species; you'd think that by now they would have at leastoneextrasolar colony with a significant population of it's own.

All in all, I enjoyed the film a great deal, although there were some elements (such as the one above) that I found issue with.

Good things:1. The first three minutes of the film, before theNaradaeven attacks.That'swhat I want from a space opera.
    2. The way they mixed the popularTrekcliches (ex. "Kirk nailing a green chick") with taking the time to clear up the popular misconceptions (ex. Vulcanssuppresstheir emotions, they're notnaturallyunemotional).
    3. Ablue-collarRomulan villian.Brilliant. Too often inStar Trek, they seem to ignore the non-military, non-scientists of the alien species...or worse, depict allmembers of a species with a single job description (Ferengi, Malon, etc.).
    4. The transporter technology actually felt non-trivial. There really seemed to be limits to what it could reasonably be expected to do. Granted, they keptsurpassingthese limits for dramatic effect, but they always managed to make those momentsfeeldramatic.

Bad things:1. Oh boy, another alien ship that's more powerful than theEnterpriseand that theEnterprisealone must try to defeat.
    2. The entire explanation of the future events that led to the Romulans and Spock traveling through time left far too many awkward questions for my taste. Exactly how does a single super-nova threaten an entire galaxy? If it was a threat to the galaxy, why was anambassador(who, granted,didhave a background as a science officer...acenturyago) sent in aone-man shipto solve the problem? And don't even get me started on red matter...
    3. Kicking theNaradawhile it was down. It was already stuck in the gravity well of a singularity; did youreallyneed to shoot it on top of that?

Finally:Anyone else notice a visual similarity between that "red vagina lizard" and theCloverfieldmonster?

Those three points you mentioned you disliked about Star Trek are invalid.

Firstly, The Narada was more powerful than the enterprise because it was from the future. So it would naturally be faster and stronger. Are you telling me you would be surprised if a current day battleship defeated a old Spanish galley? And another thing, the enterprise was going to intercept the narada with a fleet, but the fleet left before them because Sulu screwed up the warp drive sequence, when they eventually did arrive, the fleet was in tatters.

Secondly, the supernova only threatened Romulus. If you watched the TNG episode "Unification", you would know why Spock was on Romulus and why he did what he did. Sending a one man last ditch attempt if all else failed is not a hard concept to comprehend. Maybe its annoying, but it is definitely not a serious problem with the movie. I am glad they did not go in depth into every single detail that pertains to someone's interests, the movie has to appeal to a larger audience and it must have a nice flow, so droning off like I am now would not be a smart move to entertain people.

And to address your last point, once again I remind you that the Narada was a superior ship to the Enterprise, If the enterprise simply assumed that the Narada was dead because it was stuck in the singularity, it would have risked their crew's safety. The whole "Kicking it while it was down" thing is irrelevant. Thats like saying why did we bomb German cities in world war 2 when the German army was obviously not going to win... Besides, the Narada had the firepower to destroy an entire federation fleet from that time, so I would stick to the safe side and start shooting phasers and torpedoes.