This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rebuild of Evangelion

edited September 2006 in Anime
http://www.madman.com.au/actions/news.do?method=view&newsId=756

I haven't been around here much lately, and I've missed nearly a months worth of podcasts, but you fine people may be interested in this link. Unfortunately, there isn't much information.

Comments

• http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2006/09/06/random-musings-cause-evangelion-re-creations-are-sexy/
  • edited July 2007
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Huh... So it's a "Re-imagining" of the original Eva?

So it's just End of Evangelion with a better intro? Hm. Well, I guess we'll find out eventually. What I gather from the NewType pages it looks like Kaworu will play a more important part...
  • I am insanely tired of reading all of these ancient, irrelevant threads.
    Single megalithic threads for common topics is far better than countless tiny threads for common topics.  Think of each thread as an ongoing conversation.  A lot of new people are here, and they all have things to say regarding topics that we'd already opened.
  • Single megalithic threads for common topics is far better than countless tiny threads for common topics. Think of each thread as an ongoing conversation. A lot of new people are here, and they all have things to say regarding topics that we'd already opened.
    We should start adding Necromancer tags to nubs that constantly revive old threads...^_^
  • We should start adding Necromancer tags to nubs that constantly revive old threads...^_^
    As long as the necro isn't something along the lines of "lol i agre", what's the problem?
  • edited July 2007
    As long as the necro isn't something along the lines of "lol i agre", what's the problem?
    Oh, I have no problem with it. I'm perfectly fine with discussing old topics.
    Post edited by Andrew on

Single megalithic threads for common topics is far better than countless tiny threads for common topics. Think of each thread as an ongoing conversation. A lot of new people are here, and they all have things to say regarding topics that we'd already opened.

I revived a bunch of old Death Note threads instead of starting another one for that reason. Why make more of a mess when the discussion is already there, no matter how old it is... It's better than getting flamed for making unnecessary threads isn't it?
  • edited July 2007
    Reviving an old thread is always better than starting a new one.

But only in MODERATION.

About 10 to 12 threads were revived yesterday, all within a very small time frame and all by the same one or two people. In virtually every other forum I have ever participated in on the internet, excessive topic reviving was put under the same category as spamming.

Now, I realize that the FRC forums are not every other forum on the internet, and generally posts contain much more substance than other forums, but I found the thread reviving yesterday to be excessive. Mitchy even said that he revived "a bunch" of old Death Note threads. Why not just resurrect one if they are all on the same general topic?

Rym mentioned how the threads for common topics should always be on going, and I agree. But timely topics are a different matter.

Clearly, my criteria for bumping a thread is different from most in this forum. I'll cease to make the remarks about it. But, personally, I can't justify a thread bump, or a thread creation for that matter, unless I am fairly sure that I can initiate or reinitiate meaningful conversation or share something new. I'd rather just not post my list at all in the "Top 10 Anime" thread for instance because I'd feel that neither of those elements are present. If a post contains neither of those elements, it's just like old news showing up at the top of Digg, in my opinion.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Oh, I have to problem with it. I'm perfectly fine with discussing old topics.
    WIP, did you just make a typo?

I think it's good to revive old threads on the occasion that new information is exchanged. That would make the thread new again, no? I agree with MitchyD on the social stigma of starting new threads and general clutter.
  • erm.. I bumped this old thread because I didn't think shaky fuzzy cam footage is worth creating a new one, and I don't go around necroing old threads for fun. Kindly get off me.
  • I'll make the official statement that, unless WiP and Mr. Period both disagree, thread necromancy is perfectly ok.
    On another tack, I'd suggest to anyone who's having difficulty keeping up with the forum that you try using "Categories" instead of "Discussions."  The forum's getting busy enough now that "Discussions" is almost more like a chat room than it is a message board. ^_~
  • thread necromancy is perfectly ok.
    Well it makes more sense than making a bunch of new threads. I didn't want to make a new thread asking a question about the end of Death Note when there is a thread available. More so, the people that made the old threads are STILL HERE (which is awesome).

I don't like bringing up OLD threads, I only go back to look at the last 2 pages of the DISCUSSION page, so that way it's not REAL OLD.
  • The forum's getting busy enough now that "Discussions" is almost more like a chat room than it is a message board. ^_~
    Rym, you're a genius! Could we have a FRC chat room?
  • edited July 2007
    The forum's getting busy enough now that "Discussions" is almost more like a chat room than it is a message board. ^_~
    We've got an unofficial Meebo chat that's mostly dead.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The forum's getting busy enough now that "Discussions" is almost more like a chat room than it is a message board. ^_~
    We've got an unofficialMeebo chatthat's mostly dead.
    Dang . . . it is dead . . . and broke in Firefox?
  • Seems that the official trailer for RoE has been YouTubed. The animation style seems nearly exactly the same as it was for the original, except for some CG, like when the buildings come up from the ground in Tokyo-3.
  • I kind of enjoyed Eva 1.0, but I can't help but feel exasperated to learn that they're remastering it already. Seriously? It's been two years. And I don't understand the benefits/effects of remastering a digital film.
  • I kind of enjoyed Eva 1.0, but I can't help but feel exasperated to learn thatthey're remastering it already. Seriously? It's been two years. And I don't understand the benefits/effects ofremasteringa digital film.
    Hideki Anno needs more pure glacier water for his pool.
  • I kind of enjoyed Eva 1.0, but I can't help but feel exasperated to learn thatthey're remastering it already. Seriously? It's been two years. And I don't understand the benefits/effects ofremasteringa digital film.
    It's hilarious. I heard there were something like 2+ minutes of extra footage too. Oh well, I guess people buy enough to make some money.

I am enjoying the excitement of the Rebuild films, at least. It'll be this upcoming one that'll help determine whether they may be worthwhile as an actual product though. Fingers crossed!
  • According to ANN, Eva 1.0: You are (not) alone is going to be shown in 77 "North American" theaters. That means 7 US cities, and the rest canadian.
    In Boston (Cambridge, technically) the Brattle's going to be showing it. Other than that, the showings are all west coast. Any Bostoners wanna meet up and go to the Brattle on the 14th of August?
  • Oh wow, I might actually be in Boston then.
  • Why does this "Rebuild" have to be slightly different from the show. From what I have heard it is some alternate universe deal, but it is still pretty similar. Why can't they either expand upon the original story with a lot more footage but still is the same continuity of the show? Or just make more EVA. Can't they just make another couple of movies or something that happen after EOE? I'm sure Hideaki Anno has got enough crazy left for some more new stuff. And the end is pretty vague so they can definitely make something.
  • Ha, suck it, United States! Canadian anime fans get a better theatrical event schedule for once! >:D

So happy that this will be in two theatres in my city. I will try to round up as many people as I can to go see it when the time rolls around.
  • And the end is pretty vague so they can definitely make something.
    What's vague about: you goo, I goo, we all goo.
  • Yeah, wouldn't something after EOE essentially be Shinji and Asuka glaring hatefully at each other in the vast wasteland for two hours?
  • Yeah, wouldn't something after EOE essentially be Shinji and Asuka glaring hatefully at each other in the vast wasteland for two hours?
    Some people believe that Asuka is preggers at the end of EoE.
    Some people believe that ***** at the end of EoE.
    Yeah, but seeing it I remember I didn't think that.
  • I just saw Evangelion 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone in the theater. It was a digital print and dubbed. It was... interesting.

I guess what shocked me during the first part of the film was just how close it was to the original series. They obviously used many of the original storyboards and some of the music cues were the same as well. For the English dub, they got most of the original cast back. As the movie progressed, there were a higher frequency of staging and even story changes, though nothing too drastic just yet. It covers up to angel #5 I think(the blue diamond).

The animation was definitely of higher quality, but the expanded budget almost seems like a waste. What I mean by this is that the original series was able to hide its animation shortfalls by very cleverly designed scenes. Since this movie version takes so many of those scenes shot-for-shot, you're not going to see amazing new dynamic fights; they're very much in line with the original's. It's not a bad thing, as you do get to see a lot more detail in everything; it just makes you wonder what the point was.

And that's my main concern with the film. I don't know what their intentions for these movies are. I've watched and adore the original show and this is stylistically the same thing. If they wanted to present something new for me to buy into, they really need to create more original content. If they just want a shot-for-shot rehash in movie form, it seems like they're putting too much time and effort into it. If this is geared towards gaining new viewers, I think they have a long road ahead because compressing all that story into a movie is a bit too much. I could follow because I knew the story beforehand, but I don't know how a new viewer would handle it. It seemed to take for granted that you had already watched the TV show.

Of course the pragmatic answer is that they're doing it for money. I can't help but think that they could make a butt load more and spend less if they just came out with a ton of character side stories or official Rei hentai simulators.

Still, I'm glad I saw it and will watch the others.