This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Trek

Comments

• SPOILERS:That's actually something that was bothering my boyfriend and I. Only ten thousand Vulcans survive the destruction of their homeworld? I mean, we're talking about a civilization that has had FTL travel long enough for a portion of their population to have left the planetand diverged into a different sub-species; you'd think that by now they would have at leastoneextrasolar colony with a significant population of it's own.
    Yea this kinda pissed me off too, the point of going into space and exploring new planets and stuff is to ensure that if your home world is destroyed you have a backup plan, guess the Vulcan's were not as smart as they thought.
  • edited May 2009
    And to address your last point, once again I remind you that the Narada was a superior ship to the Enterprise, If the enterprise simply assumed that the Narada was dead because it was stuck in the singularity, it would have risked their crew's safety. The whole "Kicking it while it was down" thing is irrelevant. Thats like saying why did we bomb German cities in world war 2 when the German army was obviously not going to win... Besides, the Narada had the firepower to destroy an entire federation fleet from that time, so I would stick to the safe side and start shooting phasers and torpedoes.
    I think this is a really good point. Isn't it a constant complaint that movie heroes don't finish off the bad guy thus adding another 15 minutes at the end for the epic last battle or a character gets killed that would have survived otherwise? It's that extra shot in the head that the hero should give the serial killer just in case.

For the record: I loved the movie.
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • I agree, I am sick and tired of the main character incapacitating the villain. Then assuming that he is not dead, and then his friend dies unnecessarily. Thus adding some unwanted twist or something. I cannot begin to count the amount of times that has happened in every movie.

1)"Kill the villain"
    2) do not make sure he is dead
    3) go check on friend/damsel in distress
    4) Villain miraculously regains enough strength to shoot someone
  • SPOILERS:That's actually something that was bothering my boyfriend and I. Only ten thousand Vulcans survive the destruction of their homeworld? I mean, we're talking about a civilization that has had FTL travel long enough for a portion of their population to have left the planetand diverged into a different sub-species; you'd think that by now they would have at leastoneextrasolar colony with a significant population of it's own.
    Forgive me for bringing up Enterprise, but didn't that show Vulcans as very insular and arrogant? Maybe they just didn't want to colonise other worlds, and I can believe that their logic and rationality would help them avoid any issues of overpopulation.

Humans would spread across the the galaxy like a plague, but would the Vulcans?
  • Enterprise went very, very far away from "cannon" in their portrayal of Vulcans and Klingons.
  • JayJay
    edited May 2009
    I just saw the movie for a second time and a curious question arose between a few of the trek fans in my group. Are there no midgets in the future? I don’t remember ever seeing a person of short stature in any Star Trek series.

Also, what kind of crappy defense system does the Earth have that one person’s passwords can disable the entire network?
    Post edited by Jay on
  • I just saw the movie for a second time and a curious question arose between a few of the trek fans in my group. Are there no midgets in the future? I donÂ’t remember ever seeing a person of short stature in any Star Trek series.
    You don't know Jack.
  • edited May 2009
    I liked it.

It was also my first IMAX movie. I'm not a big fan of the "IMAX Experience." It's good but the price increase to increase in quality ratio just didn't make it for me. It may have just been the IMAX at Crossgates. I think I would rather see my movies on a good normal theater then a bad IMAX.

EDIT: The Orion girl (the green one or Rachel Nichols ) was smoking hot AND she plays Scarlett in the new G.I. Joe.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • I liked it.

It was also my first IMAX movie. I'm not a big fan of the "IMAX Experience." It's good but the price increase to increase in quality ratio just didn't make it for me. It may have just been the IMAX at Crossgates. I think I would rather see my movies on a good normal theater then a bad IMAX.

EDIT: The Orion girl (the green one orRachel Nichols) was smoking hot AND she plays Scarlett in the new G.I. Joe.
    The Crossgates IMAX is not a true IMAX theater.
  • edited May 2009
    Fake IMAX:
    Real IMAX:
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited May 2009
    The "cineplex" IMAX screens are a joke. Not worth the extra money at all. IMAX refuses to label them as anything other than "IMAX", which just pisses off the public when they find out that it's substantially smaller than they expected.

A regular cineplex screen feels like an IMAX screen to me. The biggest screen in my town isn't much bigger than a large home theater screen. I'm not kidding. There is another theater about 20 miles away, but it's only slightly better. We watched Star Trek when we were visiting my in-laws. I wanted to make sure that I saw it in a real theater.

We still have a drive-in theater not too far from us. Not many of those left. Admittedly, the projection leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't want to see Batman at the drive-in.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • We still have a drive-in theater not too far from us. Not many of those left. Admittedly, the projection leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't want to see Batman at the drive-in.
    A friend of mine say Star Trek at a drive in and said it was ok. Granted I think this was the only way he was going to talk his girlfriend into seeing Star Trek and Wolverine back to back. She just wanted to go to the drive in and didn't really care what they saw. It's also alot cheaper to go see a drive in movie. 8$ for two movies isn't bad.
  • I wouldn't want to see Batman at the drive-in.
    Does Vermont exist one year in the past?
  • We still have a drive-in theater not too far from us. Not many of those left. Admittedly, the projection leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't want to see Batman at the drive-in.
    A friend of mine say Star Trek at a drive in and said it was ok. Granted I think this was the only way he was going to talk his girlfriend into seeing Star Trek and Wolverine back to back. She just wanted to go to the drive in and didn't really care what they saw. It's also a lot cheaper to go see a drive in movie. 8$ for two movies isn't bad.
    Wait, they were at a drive in and not making out/getting laid or maybe they were too busy doing that to pay attention to the film.
  • Does Vermont exist one year in the past?
    You give us too much credit. Batman will be out here in about 14 years. I think it stars someone named Michael Keaton. He sounds like he'll be good.
  • You give us too much credit. Batman will be out here in about 14 years. I think it stars someone named Michael Keaton. He sounds like he'll be good.
    What? Who is Michael Keaton? I think you mean Adam West...
  • The whole chase scene with young Kirk just seemed a little unnecessary and I think nothing would have been lost if it was removed.
    I'm pretty certain that the purpose of that scene is to 1) provide a counterpoint and segue to Spock's important childhood scenes (and to make the transition from Spock's graduation to Kirk in that bar make more sense; the pattern there goes Kirk, Spock, Spock, Kirk), and 3) hook any remaining audience members who weren't hooked into the movie by the opening space battle (i.e. not fans of sci-fi). I know at least a few people in our theatre probably thought that the opening scene was overly dramatic; they were laughing toward the end of that scene in an "oh Christ" kind of way. Those people, from what I could hear, seemed very pleased to see a scene after that with both humour and more conventional action. The scene essentially reassured those people right away that the whole movie wouldn't be an overly dramatic sci-fi fest.

Besides, do you really need to justify an awesome action scene if it fits in well enough? ;)
  • edited May 2009
    Secondly, the supernova only threatened Romulus. If you watched the TNG episode "Unification", you would know why Spock was on Romulus and why he did what he did. Sending a one man last ditch attempt if all else failed is not a hard concept to comprehend. Maybe its annoying, but it is definitely not a serious problem with the movie. I am glad they did not go in depth into every single detail that pertains to someone's interests, the movie has to appeal to a larger audience and it must have a nice flow, so droning off like I am now would not be a smart move to entertain people.
    During Spock's Long Exposition Scene/Mind Meld it is specifically said this supernova threatens the "galaxy." I'm 99% sure because my friends and I were quibbling about the whole thing after we got out of the theater.

The entire Future Event/Primary Inciting Incident is stupid as presented in the film. Spock is sent to stop the supernova with buttloads of Red Matter (overkill, much?)... But, I guess he took too long a piss break and allowed the supernova to happen and this SUPER Galaxy Destroying Supernova manages to destroy Romulus before he can stop it with a blackhole, which I guess saves the galaxy, but just not Romulus (and maybe some other planets). Et cetera and so forth.

I liked the movie, but constantly had to stop myself from thinking about the plot. "This doesn't make sense, why is that happening when they could just do this..." Nero was a terrible villian too, both in his execution as a character and his motivations.

I'm recommending people see it if they ask me, but to turn their brains off most of the way and just enjoy the ride.
    Post edited by RyienKu on
  • In the 25 years he was floating around, Nero could have gone to Romulus and used the red matter he'd confiscated from Spock to prevent the death of his planet....
  • He could have contacted the Romulans and given them all of his technology. Ensuring their dominance over the universe. Also, he could have told them to get the fuck away from the exploding star. This is a reality where a super nova can destroy a galaxy and Picard only acts a little disgruntled after Q introduces his race to the Borg. Physics and people rarely act logically here. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • Physics and people rarely act logically here.
    Maybe it was a fucking gigantic supernova. Fucking Gigantic Explosions (FGEs in most scholarly journals) are not governed by normal physics. They are usually governed by Michael Bay Physics, which states as its primary law: "An explosion can be of any size and power no matter how small its source, provided said size is in proportion to the WHOA! Factor of a given group of adolescent male observers of average IQ."

In all seriousness though, I agree, and I would quote a bit about the tech behind transporters to show that not everything in Star Trek is suppose to be hard sci-fi:

"Heisenberg compensators remove uncertainty from the subatomic measurements, making transporter travel feasible. Further technology involved in transportation include a computer pattern buffer to enable a degree of leeway in the process. When asked "How does the Heisenberg compensator work?" by Time magazine, Star Trek technical adviser Michael Okuda responded, "It works very well, thank you."" (via Wikipedia's article on Transporters)
  • In the 25 years he was floating around, Nero could have gone to Romulus and used the red matter he'd confiscated from Spock to prevent the death of his planet....
    I'm pretty sure Spock had only just came out of the black hole when Kirk was already an adult. Nero when Kirk was just born. But I get what you are saying, why couldn't Nero just saved his planet when he got sent back in time? Maybe he did try and nobody on Romulan believed him? I don't know. It's a good point though.
  • edited May 2009
    A sub-plot that was cut from the film was that Nero and his crew were actually captured by Klingons after their ship was heavily damaged by the Kelvin. It took 25 years before they escaped (which is what that whole communication from Rura Penthe business was about--it's a Klingon prison colony) and they somehow managed to get their ship back... Or something.

Pretty much everything revolving around Nero was stupid--how he got to the past, what he did when he got there, what he didn't do when he got there, etc.
    Post edited by RyienKu on
    L-O-L
  • What I find amusing is that people choose to dispute the OMGWTFHUGE Supernova rather than the "Red Matter"
  • What I find amusing is that people choose to dispute the OMGWTFHUGE Supernova rather than the "Red Matter"
    Who knew that a big ball of red lip gloss was so powerful?
    You see enough movies, you learn to ignore the macguffins. This movie was full of them -- the supernova, the red matter, Eric Bana... none of them actually mattered. They were just there to push the main cast together. That's why when people complain about the rest, I just roll my eyes. The movie wasn't about the red matter, or old Spock, or the villain. It was just about showing us who is Jim Kirk, who is the new Spock, who is Bones, who is Uhura. That's all. And on that level, it succeeded.
  • edited May 2009
    What I find amusing is that people choose to dispute the OMGWTFHUGE Supernova rather than the "Red Matter"
    It wasn't lip gloss! Stop trying to make it all girly with your girl stuff! It was more like mutant vampire Klingon zombie blood or something cool like that.
    What I find amusing is that people choose to dispute the OMGWTFHUGE Supernova rather than the "Red Matter"
    You see enough movies, you learn to ignore the macguffins. This movie was full of them -- the supernova, the red matter, Eric Bana... none of them actually mattered.
    I like to think about the dudes on the Romulan ship after about five years had passed - "Y'know man, we've been here for a few years now waitin' for Spock to arrive and I'm just not feelin' it anymore, y'know what I'm sayin'? I mean, I still feel sorry for our planet and all, but this shit is gettin' old. I'm kinda thinkin' about going to a planet somewhere, takin' a few classes, maybe finish my Master's, settle down somewhere with a nice girl-thing . . . but NOOOOOOO! We've gotta hang around here until Mr. Douche catches up with us! Goddammit, this sucks!"
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited May 2009
    You see enough movies, you learn to ignore the macguffins. This movie was full of them -- the supernova, the red matter, Eric Bana... none of them actually mattered. They were just there to push the main cast together. That's why when people complain about the rest, I just roll my eyes. The movie wasn't about the red matter, or old Spock, or the villain. It was just about showing us who is Jim Kirk, who is the new Spock, who is Bones, who is Uhura. That's all. And on that level, it succeeded.
    I wasn't complaining. All of the major plot, physics, and acting issues worked for this kind of film. It is a summer effects and bravado romp in space. When other people point out this issues with the film, it makes me laugh. It is like pointing out a crotch shot in a Will Farrel film. It is expected, infantile and amusing.

@HJ: Lip gloss isn't girly. You were around for Ziggy Stardust. Lip gloss and spacemen go hand in hand.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • In regard to all the plot contrivances/MacGuffins and complaining about them: I think it's different when they simply push the characters along. In this film they served as something more.

They existed to create a new version of the characters. This film was about rebooting Star Trek and for someone who comes at it from a position of being in that original universe for a decade or so (like me) you end up paying attention to the devices used to change it. They were ludicrous and as much fun as I had with this version of the characters I can't help but look at what in-universe justification they used.

As far as a great use of this overall idea, look at "Yesterday's Enterprise."

If they couldn't handle making the details of the Future Event make sense, they should have been less specific and simpler all together.