This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

El Hazard: The Magnificent World

edited September 2007 in Anime
Yes, I love El Hazard. I agree with that the rest of the series other than the OAVs/OVAs aren't that great. It's too bad not many of the newer anime fans overlook this anime. However, I did see a cosplay of a Makoto at Sakura Con 07. It was pretty awesome.

In regards to finding it, I believe RightStuf.com has it. I'm pretty sure these are the ones you guys are looking for that's fairly cheap.

DVD 1
DVD 2

EDIT: Yeah. After listening to this podcast brings back such nostalgia and excitement. I am going to buy this soon and rewatch this.

Comments

• I found a DVD quality rip on the BitTorrents. I have not seen it but will once my one seed gets it to me.
  • It's odd that Scott mentioned his headphones being repaired in this episode of the podcast - I was typing an e-mail for almost the exact same problem.... For the exact same headphones.
  • It's odd that Scott mentioned his headphones being repaired in this episode of the podcast - I was typing an e-mail for almost the exact same problem.... For the exact same headphones.

How long have you had them? Mine weren't broken so much as they had gotten the shit beat out of them after two years. Tell me another pair of earbuds that lasts two years.
  • edited September 2007
    I watched the DVD subs and dub and have the dub videotapes. A Localization is apart. I know in the sub version the do not say "Want to teach these sailor bug the difference between life and adventure. And the bump thing happens when they first Arrive on El Hazard. Both are fun. And in the infamous Tenchi in Tokyo they make a reference to El Hazard. Because Tenchi Teacher look like Mr. Fujisawa.

P.s. After look at the new Geneon Versions I like the Second cover of the Box set. It all about Ifurita
    Post edited by sailorvista on
    How long have you had them? Mine weren't broken so much as they had gotten the shit beat out of them after two years. Tell me another pair of earbuds that lasts two years.Had mine less than... 3 months?

The insert jack wire is loose, and my right earbud doesn't work at all... Another bonus, I can't find the box it came in... I'm pretty sure my mother chucked it in the trash. They're amazing headphones, but my input wire is loose - not noticably but audibly.
    How long have you had them? Mine weren't broken so much as they had gotten the shit beat out of them after two years. Tell me another pair of earbuds that lasts two years.Had mine less than... 3 months?

The insert jack wire is loose, and my right earbud doesn't work at all... Another bonus, I can't find the box it came in... I'm pretty sure my mother chucked it in the trash. They're amazing headphones, but my input wire is loose - not noticably but audibly.

Wow, you must have beat the crap out of them. Did you keep them in the little pouch they gave you?
  • edited September 2007
    Rym, those tapes were Ken's. He owned a real copy of the dubbed series on VHS.
    Post edited by Pilitus on

• In regards to finding it, I believe RightStuf.com has it. I'm pretty sure these are the ones you guys are looking for that's fairly cheap.

DVD 1
    DVD 2
    According to a review posted on ANN just today, this is a new re-release by Geneon. FTFR, there are no new features, but it's all 7 episodes on two discs for $14.98 apiece.
  • I am glad to see that those are simply a re-release.  When you guys mentioned a second "Magnificent World" I got paranoid because those are the DVDs that I purchased from Right Stuf a month or so ago.
    My first interaction with this series that I can recall clearly was at Otakon 04 when I took part in the anime LARP.  I ended up hanging around most of the time with the person playing Jinai.  After that I ended up getting the Manga from a dealer at another con, and have just now gotten the discs. 
    I did make sure to avoid the TV version as my friend Jinai reccomended, and have so far enjoyed the first four episodes on the first disc.
  • edited September 2007
    El Hazard also appears to be available in Region 4 (Australia) for an okay price from Madman. See here. It's the 2005 release. I'll probably pick it up some time if it is indeed as good as everyone says... Been on the look out for something short to watch through with friends (that ends before we inevitably start to fall asleep).

*EDIT* It's only for a few more days, but if you preorder from EzyDVD here you'll get a small discount and free shipping within Australia. :D I'm picking it up sooner than I thought - already put an order in!
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • Nah, man, I wear them every day. If they're not in my ear they're in my charging iPod. I put my iPod in my pocket and walk around with them A LOT. There's no noticable flaw in the wire, just audibly there is an issue.
  • Rym's thing of the day (Haba Haba Zoot Zoot) brought nostalgic memories - not because of El Hazard which I've never seen, but because the song was a big hit here in Norway way back in 1981 when I was 10 and played around Star Wars figures and such. The band Caramba is a Swedish project of a not so serious nature.
  • In regards to finding it, I believe RightStuf.com has it. I'm pretty sure these are the ones you guys are looking for that's fairly cheap.
    It's even cheaper on Amazon: $7.99 for the first disk, $8.49 for the second disk.
  • The reason we were unaware that the DVDs were for sale is because just now Geneon re-released the series. I assure you it is complete coincidence that we reviewed the show just as new DVDs were coming out. We had no idea, but we are glad.
  • I love El-Hazard...xD
  • El Hazard also appears to be available in Region 4 (Australia) for an okay price from Madman. Seehere. It's the 2005 release. I'll probably pick it up some time if it is indeed as good as everyone says... Been on the look out for something short to watch through with friends (that ends before we inevitably start to fall asleep).
    Hmm. I'm in Australia too, so I took a look at that. (I already have El Hazard, but on laser disc, not the most convenient format in 2007...)

It says 13 episodes, which makes no sense. It looks like it's the first two OVAs, but that's only 11 episodes. I'll stop by my local store tomorrow and see if they have it in stock.

Rym and Scott were spot on with their review. The original OVA is a classic; everything else is a waste of time - except for the second OVA series, which should die in a fire. There was one good Tenchi sequel, though. I'll let you guess which...
  • I was checking my subscriptions on youtube...and I found what rym said was one of his favourite AMVs has been re-made...Hubba hubba zoot zoot.

• Wasn't that a thing of the day once?
  • Just letting everyone know that I believe the box set of the original El Hazard OAVs is on sale on RightStuf for $40 right now down from the normal price of $120. If I'm mistaken and this is one of the things we're not suppose to buy please let me know.
  • Just letting everyone know that I believe the box set of the originalEl Hazard OAVsis on sale on RightStuf for $40 right now down from the normal price of $120. If I'm mistaken and this is one of the things we're not suppose to buy please let me know.
    That box has the original El Hazard, which is good. But it also has some other El Hazard, which is not so good.
  • Just letting everyone know that I believe the box set of the originalEl Hazard OAVsis on sale on RightStuf for $40 right now down from the normal price of $120. If I'm mistaken and this is one of the things we're not suppose to buy please let me know.
    That box has the original El Hazard, which is good. But it also has some other El Hazard, which is not so good.
    Both the original OVA and OVA 2 are good. It's The Wanderers that isn't supposed to be good. I don't know about El Hazard: The Alternative World, because I haven't watched that, but it looks good to me.