This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090526 - Tsuro and Oshi

edited May 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review two boardgames, Tsuro and Oshi. In the news, two Japanese video games, Starfy and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, are actually coming to the US.

Scott's Thing - Don't Eat The Marshmallow Yet
Rym's Thing - Story from North America

Comments

• Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
    Now if only we can get some Metal Wolf Chaos and Jump Ultimate Stars over here. Life would be sweet.
  • Classic Battletech is still being published. Game Catalyst Labs bought it from Fanpro back in 2007 (along with the Shadwrun RPG).
  • edited May 2009
    Classic Battletech is still being published. Game Catalyst Labs bought it from Fanpro back in 2007 (along with the Shadwrun RPG).
    Catalyst is a division of WizKids, which is out of business.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • In any case, they're still producing/selling games according to their website.
  • In any case, they're still producing/selling games according to their website.
    Which was last updated when?
  • May 26th, 2009
  • May 26th, 2009
    Well, then they should fix the copyright notices down at the bottom of the page.
  • The notice is now fixed. It now clearly states that Catalyst, never owned by WizKids, is part of InMediaRes, and that the various ShadowRun and Classic BattleTech trademarks are owned by the late WizKids. The lines are currently in active production, and I have been very happy with the ShadowRun and Classic BattleTech products (I started playing both games back in the days of "FASA shoddy"). As I understand it there will be questions about the future come May 16, 2010, when the current license will run out and there will be no WizKids to re-negotiate with. My own advice is that if you enjoy these games buy them now while you still can... You can read the announcement about the most recent (last?) license renewal here.

I posted a comment there asking about the future beyond the current license, now I wait to see what, if anything, the moderator does with it.
  • Well, in the time it took me to post here, after leaving the comment on the Catalyst board, they responded:

Chris Hunter Says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 10:45 pm
    Any news on what will happen to the license when it expires, now that WizKids no longer exists as such to renew it?

Adam Jury Says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 10:51 pm
    We’ll just be dealing directly with Topps on that, Chris. No worries!
  • edited May 2009
    Very good. Battletech lives on! They really should update classicbattletech.com. The footer on that site is all WizKids.

It's really interesting how all the FASA tabletop properties have managed to stay alive after Microsoft bought FASA all those years ago.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • In related news:

Someone has a bunch of BattleTech VR pods, and is bringing them around to some conventions.

See here. PAX needs to get on the phone.
  • I didn't even notice this podcast. Good review. I saw Oshii at the local comic book shop on sale. If it's still there, the buying.

As for Tsuro, I'll make sure my friend, Chris, will bring it to PAX just in case if it's not available there. I'll bring Metro.
  • edited June 2009
    Forgot to post this when the episode came out. Wow, for once a review of a non-mainstream board game that I've actually played. :D A friend brought Tsuro over to our New Year's party last December, and I thought it was simple, but very fun. We all had a great time knocking each other's stones off the board, and the patterns that the tiles built were lovely to look at and easy to follow. I hope I can find a copy of it for myself someday. If not, at least I know that said friend will always have it available for us.
    Post edited by Eryn on