This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Cosplay Experiences

edited May 2009 in Anime
I went to Anime Boston (my first anime convention ever...) and couldn't help but notice the awesomeness of the costumes. I've always been crazy about making costumes for Halloween, but I've never done an anime-based one.

I want to go to DragonCon this year and dress up so I actually fit in this time. I really want to go crazy and make an awesomely perfect and detailed costume.

I was just wondering if anyone else on here had experience with this and could answer some of my questions about cosplaying.

-I know there are contests- just how good does your costume have to be to win one of those?
-Does anyone have awesome pictures of costumes you've made? (And maybe details on how you executed them)
-What is better (for females): slutty, cutesy, or badass?

Comments

• cosplay.com

This is a cosplayer community. Good for getting information.
  • This is a cosplayer community. Good for getting information.
    Yes, but also full of crazy peoples.
  • edited May 2009
    I have been cosplaying as Twilight Princess style Link at Otakon for the past two years, and while I don't consider myself to be good at making costumes (far from it actually), I do have some some advice...

First off, don't worry about competing until you have been cosplaying for a few years. The caliber of costumes at the competitions are astoundingly good and will blow any first, second, or third time cosplayers out of the water with an orbiting death beam. Wait until you have experience under your belt before trying.

Secondly, here are some links to the photos I took at last year's Otakon. I am the Link fighting the Pit and Peach at the beginning of the first set. It's always good to look at what other people are doing before trying something yourself.

Thirdly, there are enough slutty and cutesy cosplayers out there. Try to do something unexpected, something that is out of the public eye. Try to not cosplay as anything recent, unless you are doing some sort of variant. An example would be to dress up as Zora Armour Link instead of standard green tunic Link. Dressing as someone from an old series is always a good bet to get a costume that is fairly original for whatever con you are attending.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • First off, don't worry about competing until you have been cosplaying for a few years. The caliber of costumes at the competitions are astoundingly good and will blow any first, second, or third time cosplayers out of the water with an orbiting death beam. Wait until you have experience under your belt before trying.
    Don't they have separate categories so that novices don't compete directly with experts?
  • Thirdly, there are enough slutty and cutesy cosplayers out there. Try to do something unexpected, something that is out of the public eye.
    Totally! I don't really even notice the slutty cosplayers, but the ones I take pictures of are the ones with a really good idea. I feel the same about cosplay as I do about Halloween costumes: I've seen enough sexy nurses/cat girls. I'd rather see something out of the ordinary.
  • Thirdly, there are enough slutty and cutesy cosplayers out there. Try to do something unexpected, something that is out of the public eye.
    Totally! I don't really even notice the slutty cosplayers, but the ones I take pictures of are the ones with a really good idea. I feel the same about cosplay as I do about Halloween costumes: I've seen enough sexy nurses/cat girls. I'd rather see something out of the ordinary.
    When I see slutty cosplayers, I say "Nice Tits" or "Great Ass" in a sarcastic tone as I pass by them. If women want treat themselves like meat for attention, so be it. However, I will not be quiet in reminding them that the attention they seek comes at a social price.
  • At Tora-Con...'05? '06? I don't remember...I had a lame cosplay as Satoshi from D.N.Angel that was crap.
    At Otakon this year, I'm going as Ness, at least on one day. Good times shall be had.
  • I once cosplayed as Jessica from Dragon Quest 8. I suck at sewing but I found a lot of it at various thrift shops.

I want to go to DragonCon this year and dress up so I actually fit in this time. I really want to go crazy and make an awesomely perfect and detailed costume.
    A lot of newcomers say this and you DON'T need to cosplay to fit in at a con.
    -What is better (for females): slutty, cutesy, or badass?
    I personally like crossplay. :P
  • I think any costume that is well constructed, accurate, and has great details is great, even if it is slutty. My comments above apply to people that think boobs are costumes in and of themselves.
  • I have no experience with Cosplaying, but may I suggest this: You see the girl in the skintight blue costume in Li_Akahi's photos? Don't be that girl.
  • edited May 2009
    A couple years ago, I wasn't planning on cosplaying though I really wanted to. The day of Anime Boston (the first day, Friday), I got a haircut I didn't like, so I decided to shave my head entirely and go as Yasu from NANA.

The results:

imageimage
    [cosplay.com link]
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • I have no experience with Cosplaying, but may I suggest this: You see the girl in the skintight blue costume in Li_Akahi's photos? Don't be that girl.
    The way I see it, if anyone can actually pull of a Zero Suit Samus cosplay, they should do it (meaning you have the correct body type for the character). The vast majority of people going to anime conventions can do it, so the costume will really stick out.
  • The way I see it, if anyone CAN'T pull of a Zero Suit Samus, they shouldn't do it (meaning they have the incorrect body type for the character). Sticking out is good, if you look good and it will build your confidence. Sticking out because you're literally sticking out in places you shouldn't will only knock your confidence for future attempts.

Your goal:

Pretty good:

Also good:

Very good (but more padding in breast department please):

Seriously, what are you thinking?:

"...because I'm a body fascist" - Luke
  • edited May 2009
    Haha, thanks everyone for the advice on not wearing skin tight suits while being fat. I don't think I will have that problem.

I do know I want to go as the Major from Ghost in the Shell. I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go for (that's why I asked slutty or badass). Both are going to be difficult to make for different reasons. They both involve heavy padding in the boobage area...

It's either this:

Or this:
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • Very good (but more padding in breast department please):
    But the little boobs are way hot!

To quote Konata: A flat chest is a status symbol.
  • Little boobs are fine, but if you're going for accuracy in your costume...
    That's exactly why I would do it, haha. Although I suppose if I try to be exactly accurate with them I won't be able to see where I'm walking.
  • This thread intrigues me for various reasons...
    It has more to do with knowing your body type. Someone who's bigger can pull off very good cosplays no problem; you just can't pull off a cosplay that's not meant for your body type.
    It has more to do with knowing your body type. Someone who's bigger can pull off very good cosplays no problem; you just can't pull off a cosplay that's not meant for your body type.
    Um... did you see my photo essay?
  • edited May 2009
    Many - if not most - anime characters (particularly female characters) have unrealistic body proportions. If you are going to quibble about boob padding or too much fat; why not quibble about not having legs 1/3 longer than the average human legs, eyes that are three times as large as human eyes, or having internal organs in the torso?
    Very few - if any - women will match up with the more extreme body types portrayed in anime.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Many - if not most - anime characters (particularly female characters) have unrealistic body proportions. If you are going to quibble about boob padding or too much fat; why not quibble about not having legs 1/3 longer than the average human legs, eyes that are three times as large as human eyes, or having internal organs in the torso?
    Very few - if any - women will match up with the more extreme body types portrayed in anime.
    Well, that's also why I generally don't like most cosplay. At the end of the day, you're trying to replicate something in the wrong medium. That's why I'm more into clever cosplay, like Jewish Wolfwood.
  • Isn't anime, by definition, a cartoon? Of course the body shapes are unrealistic!

The boob padding comment was a quibble, I'll give you that. The last picture in my series, the entire point of my post, wasn't a quibble... it was something far, far more significant than a quibble.

It isn't just the body size or shape, it is the attitude. The first three examples have the something approaching the same attitude. The last picture? Not so much.

But don't mind me; I've never seen an anime, let alone been to a convention. I had to look up Zero Suit Samus after Li_Akahi mentioned her, just to know what the costume was meant to look like.
  • Seriously, all the girl in the last photo needed to make a more accurate Samus (or just to make Luke happy) is under wire. That suit is so tight it makes her look a bit more flat chested then she is.
  • eyes that are three times as large as human eyes
    I know it's old, but I can't help it: Anime contact lenses.
  • Very good (but more padding in breast department please):
    But the little boobs are way hot! To quote Konata: A flat chest is a status symbol.
    Status as what?
    I think boobs of any size can look great if they are in proportion with the body.
  • Status as what?
    Trying to make sense of something random Konata says is a sign of madness.
  • I don't know. It's a lucky star quote.
  • edited May 2009
    Status as what?
    Trying to make sense of something random Konata says is a sign of madness.
    Who is Konata?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • What depresses me is how quickly this cosplay thread turned into a conversations about breasts...
    You all disgust me.