This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Candy Candy

edited April 2008 in Anime
Well, many of you may think that I only care about super robots, and manly series. And it is true with this anime generation of nowadays. However, I used to have a heart a long time ago. A warm heart. A heart of a kid that new very little of the world. And this series makes that heart come back to live. That series is Candy Candy. I do not want to spoil it for anyone but enough to say that story influenced many of the popular shoujo mangas of today.

Candy Candy is popular all over the world except in the USA, it is even sadder because it will most likely never be release in the states because of a legal dispute between the creators.

I do not like the crunchy roll site but it is the only place you can find Candy Candy with proper english subs. If you care about good old shoujo I would recommend this series, if you care about good anime I will also recommend this series. I put it up there along with Rose of Versailles.

P.S. the video quality is horrible :(
JTSoBDqUPuc

Comments

• I love Candy Candy and want to own the series badly ever since I seen the movie. The movie is so compressed. I need this series, but I hate streaming my anime! Dammit!
  • edited April 2008
    I love Candy Candy and want to own the series badly ever since I seen the movie. The movie is so compressed. I need this series, but I hate streaming my anime! Dammit!
    Me too but this series is worth it :P

Also, the movie only covers the first 10 episodes, also the movie has a happier ending than those 10 first episodes.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I know! I've been watching it recently! New episode up too!
  • Wow, that was a good translation. Also, that raccoon that Candy has as a mascot is names "Clean" in Spanish :O
  • So how did you find out about this series?
    Same way as most people in Latin America did, Candy Candy was very popular, along side Heidi, House in the Prairie, Mischa, Nozzles (here known as Sandy and her koalas), Magical Princess Minky Momo (known as Gigi), Marco and a whole lot more. If you are a child of the 80's you grew up with all of those, all thanks to the Peruvians and the big Japanese colonies there that craved for anime, so they were translated to Spanish to satisfy that market and it simply caught on all over latin america.
    Nozzles (here known as Sandy and her koalas)
    Noozles! I loved that as a little kid. I wish I could watch it again.
  • edited June 2009
    So how did you find out about this series?
    Mr Roboto is right! We Peruvians love our anime and manga :D, I loved Minky Momo back in the 80s. However, Peru got Candy kind of late since I remember watching it back in 96/97.
    By the way re-watching this is as good or even better than when I watched in Spanish, this thing can be funny and sad at the same time.
    Post edited by Erwin on
    Mr Roboto is right! We Peruvians love our anime and manga :D, I loved Minky Momo back in the 80s. However, Peru got Candy kind of late since I remember watching it back in 96/97.
    By the way re-watching this is as good or even better than when I watched in Spanish, this thing can be funny and sad at the same time.
    I would want to see an English dub for it since it's setting is in America. Oh well.
  • edited June 2009
    An english dub would be very interesting indeed. I would like to listen to the accents that they would give to the different characters since the story occurs in between the late 1800s and early 1900s.
    I am watching cap 4 right now. Man, I can believe Annie's mom could be such a biatch by advising her daughter all communication with her best friend. Also, I think in the Spanish translation the "prince" was not 17/18 years old. I think he was about 14 or 15 while Candy was 10.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • When I was kid we had (and actually still have) VHS;es of two anime series (I didn't know that those were anime at the time). Other was Silver Fang and other was Candy Candy. I remember that I liked the first VHS and watched it multiple times, but didn't really watch other parts even tough we had many of them.

And the opening wakes nostalgia inside me.
  • And the opening wakes nostalgia inside me.
    Wait until you listen to the Animetal version
  • I actually liked that animetal. It might just be the Candy fandom.
  • I actually liked that animetal. It might just be the Candy fandom.
    I did too, I was not being sarcastic :P
  • Man, I just finish watching ep. 11. I don't remember Candy Candy being so dramatic, I guess some of the drama was lost during the spanish translation :S
  • Thanks for posting this! I need to watch the new ones! Squee!