This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DS Laser Etching

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
I have found a willing company to etch my DS after a long day of sending e-mails back and forth. So, right now I suppose that I need to find a design to place on it. I was thinking of having these two pictures:

nsmb_04.jpg
nsmb_08.jpg

With each character placed on either side of the two boxes on the DS lite cover. Of course, they will not be in color and scaled down, but I believe you can get some pretty good resolution with those lasers. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Sounds awesome to me. Be sure to post a pic after it's done!

What company are you using?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2006
    Laser Impressions
    Wow...laser engraved bricks!

How much do you think this is gonna set you back?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Grr, they have no Australian brach.

I can't help but feel you should get a design made up that is completely original but I guess that's just me. It's not that big a deal though, considering how unlikely it is that anyone else will get those exact same pictures of Mario and Luigi engraved on their DS. You'll probably have to simplify the images a fair bit though. Engraving works best without gradients, after all.
  • So I have worked with a couple of images and designs and I came up with this one.

ds1.jpg

It is simple, but I think it's pretty cool. I would like to have it centered by I don't know if the two transparent boxes would mess with the laser. What do you guys think?
  • edited November 2006
    So I have worked with a couple of images and designs and I came up with this one.

It is simple, but I think it's pretty cool. I would like to have it centered by I don't know if the two transparent boxes would mess with the laser. What do you guys think?
    Personally, I'd get a Mario facing right opposite a Luigi facing left, but the Link looks cool too. ^_^
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Well, I am 99% sure this is going to be the design. I got a confirmation e-mail today verifying that they can do the procedure. GOT DAMN am I excited!

ds2.png
  • Heh, that looks t3h pwn!
  • Nice that is your best concept yet!
  • *revive*

Soooo, did anything ever come of this?
  • edited May 2007
    The only company I could find said they would do it for 150 dollars, which I think is too expensive.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • :| That's way too much for a little laser etching. Bah!
  • Grr, they have no Australian brach.

I feel your pain.
  • I'm thinking of getting the steel panels on the sides of my new computer case laser etched.  So far, the best idea we've had is the HA HA guy.
  • I'm thinking of getting the steel panels on the sides of my new computer case laser etched. So far, the best idea we've had is the HA HA guy.

Oh my god. That would be hilarious.