This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

There was a lost Star Trek film, and I can prove it mathematically...er, logically

FACT: Even-numbered Star Trek films are good, and odd-numbered Star Trek films are bad (a.k.a. "The Even-Odd Rule of Star Trek Films").

FACT: The tenth Star Trek film, Star Trek: Nemesis, is bad.

FACT: The eleventh Star Trek film, Star Trek, is good.

CONCLUSION: Star Trek: Nemesis is actually an odd-numbered Star Trek film, and Star Trek is actually an even-numbered Star Trek film.

FINAL CONCLUSION: There is another Star Trek film between Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis. This is the true tenth Star Trek film, with Star Trek: Nemesis the eleventh and Star Trek the twelfth. Furthermore, this hypothetical Star Trek film is even-numbered, and thus a good one.

Comments

• Technically, while the new Star Trek movie is the 11th in terms of chronological release date, it's a prequel to every other Star Trek film. Thus, it becomes the FIRST Star Trek film, and the Even-Odd Rule must be changed to the Odd-Even rule.

In other words, the new film went back in time and changed everything we know about Star Trek films. Literally.

Goddamn time travel, always mucking things up.
  • edited May 2009
    What, pray tell, was wrong with The Search for Spock? It had Christopher Lloyd. AS A KLINGON. It was awesome.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • So then the forth film should be the first film, right?
  • edited May 2009
    So then the forth film should be the first film, right?
    Well, it wasn't first in the chronology of the characters. The most recent one was the first in the meta-timeline of Star Trek, whereas the great whale caper took place after the characters were well established.

Really, I think we need to refine the initial theorem. Maybe we need to consider movies containing TOS characters separately from movies containing TNG characters.

EDIT: The Search for Spock had too much search and not enough Spock.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Technically, while the newStar Trekmovie is the 11th in terms of chronological release date, it's a prequel to every otherStar Trekfilm. Thus, it becomes the FIRSTStar Trekfilm, and the Even-Odd Rule must be changed to the Odd-Even rule.
    In other words, the new film went back in time and changed everything we know about Star Trek films. Literally.
    Negative on the "prequel" part and the "changed everything we know part". It's pretty plainly stated in the movie that the Romulans that jaunted back through time ended up creating an alternate timeline. As such the old Trek timeline still exists, this one is a different splinter (which can, in turn, be further milked by the powers that be for future movies and TV franchises. And hopefully the studios will tell Berman and Braga to go suck it!) That way we can tell all the grognards who want to bitch and moan about them "wrecking continuity" to STFU and go post on someone else's boards. ;)
  • Technically, while the newStar Trekmovie is the 11th in terms of chronological release date, it's a prequel to every otherStar Trekfilm. Thus, it becomes the FIRSTStar Trekfilm, and the Even-Odd Rule must be changed to the Odd-Even rule.
    In other words, the new film went back in time and changed everything we know aboutStar Trekfilms. Literally.
    Negative on the "prequel" part and the "changed everything we know part". It's pretty plainly stated in the movie that the Romulans that jaunted back through time ended up creating an alternate timeline. As such the old Trek timeline still exists, this one is a different splinter (which can, in turn, be further milked by the powers that be for future movies and TV franchises. And hopefully the studios will tell Berman and Braga to go suck it!) That way we can tell all the grognards who want to bitch and moan about them "wrecking continuity" to STFU and go post on someone else's boards. ;)
    OK, technically, you're right. In which case, the new Star Trek is actually the first movie in an entirely new series, which now exhibits an inverse of the conventional "Even-Odd" rule.

The only explanations for Nemesis are that it must actually be a good movie, and everyone who disagrees is wrong, or it's an outlier. I vote for outlier.
  • Goddamn time travel, always mucking things up.
    "We have to anticipate, and not make... and not make the same mistake once." - Picard
  • Here's the problem with your theory: Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home sucked ass. Really, who wants to see Shatner and Nemoy save the whales?
  • Here's the problem with your theory: Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home sucked ass. Really, who wants to see Shatner and Nemoy save the whales?
    But...but...what about the nuclear wessels?
  • edited May 2009
    That part was okay. But the bulk of the movie was the saving the whales bit. Also, there were hardly any stars, treks, or voyages.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • That part was okay. But the bulk of the movie was the saving the whales bit. Also, there were hardly any stars, treks, or voyages.
    Well double dumbass on you!
  • edited May 2009
    That part was okay. But the bulk of the movie was the saving the whales bit. Also, there were hardly any stars, treks, or voyages.
    They trekked and/or voyaged around the sun and back through time. That ought to be enough for anyone.

In summary, your opinion is incorrect.

EDIT: Also, whales are fucking awesome.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2009
    What, pray tell, was wrong withThe Search for Spock? It had Christopher Lloyd.AS A KLINGON. It was awesome.
    I loved Search for Spock, it is probably my third favorite Star Trek movie (next to Kahn and the newest one). This may sound like something that would induce a total facepalm, but I would crack up if he said "Great Scott!!" in Klingonese.
    EDIT: Also, whales are fucking awesome.
    But the real question is do they belong in a Star Trek movie?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • But the real question is do they belong in a Star Trek movie?
    Yes. Did you watch any of the actual series? I mean, The Squire of Gothos, for fuck's sake. Whales are no less out-there than a lot of the original series' plot devices.
  • But the real question is do they belong in a Star Trek movie?
    Yes. Did you watch any of the actual series? I mean, The Squire of Gothos, for fuck's sake. Whales are no less out-there than a lot of the original series' plot devices.
    I'm not too savvy with TNG, I mostly watched TOS. I will get into TNG once I get enough money to get a Netflix account and it will be one of the many things that will be added to my future queue.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not too savvy with TNG, I mostly watched TOS. I will get into TNG once I get enough money to get a Netflix account and it will be one of the many things that will be added to my future queue.
    The Squire of Gothos is Star Trek episode 17, and first aired in 1967. It is not TNG.

/comic book guy
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Is it possible to claim that this recent Star Trek film is BOTH the last one of the original run, AND the first one of this run, considering the time travel exploits take place at the end of the Star Trek timeline for the old set of movies? Just a thought.~ Dred Lily ^w^V
  • edited June 2009
    Yes. Did you watch any of the actual series? I mean, The Squire of Gothos, for fuck's sake.
    I'll bet a newer, rebooted Trelane is somewhere out there waiting to be found in the new Star Trek universe.

Which od the TOS episodes would you like to see the "new" crew remake? I've always liked "Balance of Terror". I'll bet the "new" crew would be awesome in a remake of that. Of course, there would be differences because, in this universe, they've already met Romulans . . . in fact, that wouldn't be good at all. How about "City on the Edge of Forever"?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Space Seed.

KHAAAAAAAAN!
  • Space Seed.

KHAAAAAAAAN!
    Not an original idea, but Javier Bardem should be Khan.