This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I don't like cricket...

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
Oh no, I love it!

Well it's summer down under (that sounds dirty) and that means one thing: cricket. Days of sitting out in the sun drinking overpriced beer and eating overpriced food, falling asleep in front of the tv and listening Kerry O'Keeffe make himself, and just himself, laugh. This year the Ashes come back again and England's collective arse is going to get whipped.

Are there any other cricket fans in the forum? Or anyone I can turn into a cricket fan by answering your questions?

Comments

• Yea, I am sure I would enjoy it, but what is the point?
  • Cricket is one of the few things to bring out my patriotism.
  • Cricket is one of the few things to bring out my patriotism.
    Cricket brings out patriotism? Like baseball or football in America? How so?
  • Didn't you know? Crickets are the English national mascot!
  • Didn't you know? Crickets are the English national mascot!
    I know this sounds bad, but is that supposed to be a joke, or was it just an unfortunate pun?
  • Cricket is extremely patriotic. The Ashes is a contest that has been fought between England and Australia since 1882, the England team that won last year for the first time in 20 years (cause the SUCK) all got OBEs. Now this was very stupid but the English don't win much sport so they tend to get excited when they do.

Because cricket is fought mostly between former British Colonies there is a lot of national pride at stake. Like soccer countries diplomatic relations can be deeply effected by the happenings in a cricket match. When India and Pakistan play there is alway a chance it will erupt in violence, most countries take international sport a lot more seriously than they do in the US, and it is the main way we express out patriotism.
  • Dreadlock Holiday is stuck in my head now... thanks.

Anyway, I never saw, nor played cricket in my life (other than clips of it in films) until a few minutes ago. I just found some filmed games online, and I have to say it looks pretty fun! I think the FRC should put on a game next spring. I just hope we can find teh equipment without paying a fortune.
  • Dreadlock Holiday is stuck in my head now... thanks.

Anyway, I never saw, nor played cricket in my life (other than clips of it in films) until a few minutes ago. I just found some filmed games online, and I have to say it looks pretty fun! I think the FRC should put on a game next spring. I just hope we can find teh equipment without paying a fortune.
    You really don't want to play cricket. Not only do we not know the rules, but games can last a long time. Let's just wait for Wii cricket.
  • For the novices, may I suggest Backyard Cricket or Freedom Cricket.
  • You really don't want to play cricket. Not only do we not know the rules, but games can last a long time. Let's just wait for Wii cricket.
    I am SO waiting for Wii cricket! I'd love it if it was out now, I can't play at the moment cause I've buggered my knee and I wish I could still practice.

As for the time thing, cricket taking a long time is a semi-myth. Test cricket is the one that goes on for 5 days and most people find very boring until they understand the game. The One Day version takes, well a day, and is the more strictly 'exciting' of the two. Players are more willing to take risks, endings are usually close and its a simple 'one team makes a score the other team tries to beat it' set up. Twenty20 cricket is a relatively new invention and takes 3 hours to play, I haven't seen much of it but it is really taking off.

Thats professional and semi-professional cricket, if you and a bunch of mates want to hit the ball around it can take as long as you want, and you don't need much equipment. Beach or backyard cricket if typically played with a tennis ball, a plastic or old bat, and practically anything for stumps (rubbish bins a fav).
  • I can read the rules of Cricket online at Wikipedia or other sites, but it still makes no sense. If one of you foreign folks teaches me cricket, I'll teach you american football.
  • No, Scott, I DO want to play cricket. I don't care if it takes all day to play, and we goof it up because we don't know the rules. It is all good. Just becasuse you are a lazy bastard who wants instant and exacting gratification, doesn't mean everyone is.
  • No, Scott, I DO want to play cricket. I don't care if it takes all day to play, and we goof it up because we don't know the rules. It is all good. Just becasuse you are a lazy bastard who wants instant and exacting gratification, doesn't mean everyone is.
    I'm with you, but it was hard enough to get these fools to play wiffle/kick ball, I don't think you'll have luck with cricket.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2006
    It's almost strange that I have to agree with Scott on something like this. Both of us tried to get everyone to play at sports for much of uni. The resistance we met was insurmountable. ^_~

When we lived in Colony, we wanted to play softball/kickball/etc all the time. No one else ever wanted to. I could never get anyone to play tennis or ping pong, and no one cared that we had a badminton net in the closet (except Luke, who played with us once). ScoJo was the only one who ever wanted to go running.

Actually, I've played more sports with Luke than I have with the rest of you fools. ^_~ We played tennis a bunch of times one summer.

I remember specifically the day we tried to play kickball when we were freshmen. Hardly anyone wanted to do it, and almost no one came. The people who did show up got tired walking to the field, and it was a total bust.

We did play wall ball once, but were never able to convince anyone to ever play it again.

You're on -our- side for sports. Help us convince the rest of the crew to play softball or tackle football someday.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • If I'm ever in the area I promise to teach you, meanwhile check this out.
  • edited November 2006
    Well, this summer I am up for anything (except baseball and softball). Count me and Adam in on Soccer, tennis, badminton, touch football, etc.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Well, this summer I am up for anything (except baseball and softball). Count me and Adam in on Soccer, tennis, badminton, touch football, etc.
    Touch football? It is so much better to play full tackle football. :)
  • Touch football? It is so much better to play full tackle football.
    I love tackle football, but I have images of Pete casually walking toward the end zone, ball in hand, with five of us hanging on to his legs...
  • Touch football is the bomb. Frisbee football/Ultimate frisbee/etc. is the nuke. I'll come play tennis with you - I can't ever convince my wife to. All she wants to do is walk briskly along a pre-determined route. I need an exercise with points.
  • Touch football? It is so much better to play full tackle football.
    I love tackle football, but I have images of Pete casually walking toward the end zone, ball in hand, with five of us hanging on to his legs...
    I love tackle football, played it for years, but now the Army makes us only play touch and flag football. Even in Korea, there is an Army/Navy flag football game.
  • I love tackle football, played it for years, but now the Army makes us only play touch and flag football. Even in Korea, there is an Army/Navy flag football game.
    I wonder if it's to minimize chance of injury that would prevent a soldier from taking part in combat operations.
  • I love tackle football, played it for years, but now the Army makes us only play touch and flag football. Even in Korea, there is an Army/Navy flag football game.
    I wonder if it's to minimize chance of injury that would prevent a soldier from taking part in combat operations.
    I would say it has more to do with there is such a great age range of the soldiers, we are not teenagers, nor are we pro athletes.
  • I wonder if it's to minimize chance of injury that would prevent a soldier from taking part in combat operations.
    Maybe the tackling reminds them of other controversial man to man grabbing past times.

p.s. Australia now 2-0 in the battle to regain the Ashes from the poms. Well done to England for snatching defeat from the jaws of a draw.