This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Iran's Election

RymRym
edited June 2009 in Politics
I'm surprised no one has yet brought up the civil disorder that followed the highly dubious election results in Iran.

There's still very little proper media coverage, but Twitter and the like have exploded, and there is a lot of evidence that the Iranian government is basically cutting off communications access to anyone providing coverage to the outside. If the reports from within are accurate, this is the biggest overflow of civil discontent in a long time, and there's a (small) chance that it could snowball into a counter-revolution.

Obviously, it's too soon to have an accurate picture of what's going on, but the few photos that have gotten out show a bloody scene of reactionary crackdowns and violence in the streets.

Comments

• If the protests continue, more than likely the Revolutionary Guard will be deployed to subdue the protesters. When that happens, we will see if the situation escalates.
  • I was just reading that Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is going to start a probe into the election to see if the allegations of ballot fraud are true. This might calm things a bit.
  • edited June 2009
    This is pretty intense. I've read rumors of plain-clothes policemen in the crowds. Obviously, it's just unconfirmed rumors, but it's scary nonetheless.

I think we won't have a clear picture of what's going on for a little while.

EDIT:http://twitter.com/StopAhmadi

Pretty good Twitter that I'm following. Posted a link to some pics a few minutes ago. Stuff like this. The times, they are a-changing.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I've been watching intently, but without concrete information I've been relutant to comment much on the subject at this time ^_^

Man, that sounded like an elected officials response :-p
  • According to BBC, they have gotten some reports from civilians of beatings, police using paint ball guns, etc.
    I hope that this does not turn into our generation's Tiananmen Square.
  • edited June 2009
    According to BBC, they have gotten some reports from civilians of beatings, police using paint ball guns, etc.
    I hope that this does not turn into our generation's Tiananmen Square.
    Hope is a bitch.

EDIT: Here's a picture of a shot protester. Warning: blood.

EDIT 2: Saw a picture of the dead protester. I won't link it because it's pretty graphic. Browse Fark and you'll find links to it.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • So where is the best source for information here, I.E. Twitter feeds, blogs. I'm watching the huffingtonpost and drudge. Where are you guys getting your news on the internets.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2009
    Fark. Fark is right now the best source of accurate information. You can follow #gr88 or #iranelection, but they're way too fast to get anything useful unless you're obsessive.

The latest news is that families are reporting that they are being sent home from work, and that martial law has been declared. One of the bloggers providing updates disappeared a few minutes ago.

More importantly, the military has supposedly mobilized in force, but has done nothing but surround and protect hospitals. There is a lot of speculation that the military will not back the regime, and scattered reports of military units protecting protesters from the militia.

Iran started blocking BBC broadcasts, and banned any press, foreign or domestic, from providing any street-level coverage whatsoever. Twitter and a few bloggers posting through proxies are the only sources of news at the moment.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • From what I've read, it sounds like the majority of the Pro-Regime milita are focusing their attacks on student dorms and universities. Additionally, it appears that several accounts have been started to flood #iranelection with false information.
  • I am asking this out of genuine ignorance and I plan to research it when I get home, but does anyone know the purview of the office of the President in Iran? Doesn't the Supreme Leader hold all the cards?
  • This has been the most amazing use of Twitter I can possibly imagine. Technology is awesome.

This really seems like the beginning of a full-on revolution.
  • edited June 2009
    This really seems like the beginning of a full-on revolution.
    So did Tiananmen Square. Only time will tell.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Scott is being really pessimistic about it. He says protesting cannot change anything.
  • Wow, the State Department has now officially asked Twitter to postpone it's scheduled maintenance.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2009
    Wow. Iran just took down its cell network to try and stop the protesters. The last reports coming out indicated that the University of Tehran was surrounded to prevent students from leaving (bad), but that the police have sided with the protesters and openly condemned the regime (good). There are several unconfirmed reports of open fighting in the streets, possibly police in conflict with the militia.

Sadly, with the cell networks down, the datafeed is drying up rapidly.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Scott is being really pessimistic about it. He says protesting cannot change anything.
    Protesting on its own cannot. Long running protests that lead to strikes and induce other action (not necessarily violent action) can make political change.
    The Velvet Revolution didn't happen?
  • Grand Ayatullah Husayn Ali Montazeri issued a statement. He is important enough to the regime that, if this is accurate, it may be a major turning point. This statement has been tentatively confirmed by a few sources, but is still subject to further scrutiny.

In the name of God

People of Iran

These last days, we have witnessed the lively efforts of you brothers and sisters, old and young alike, from any social category, for the 10th presidential elections.

Our youth, hoping to see their rightful will fulfilled, came on the scene and waited patiently. This was the greatest occasion for the governmentÂ’s officials to bond with their people.

But unfortunately, they used it in the worst way possible. Declaring results that no one in their right mind can believe, and despite all the evidence of crafted results, and to counter people protestations, in front of the eyes of the same nation who carried the weight of a revolution and 8 years of war, in front of the eyes of local and foreign reporters, attacked the children of the people with astonishing violence. And now they are attempting a purge, arresting intellectuals, political opponents and Scientifics.

Now, based on my religious duties, I will remind you :

1- A legitimate state must respect all points of view. It may not oppress all critical views. I fear that this lead to the lost of peopleÂ’s faith in Islam.

2- Given the current circumstances, I expect the government to take all measures to restore peopleÂ’s confidence. Otherwise, as I have already said, a government not respecting peopleÂ’s vote has no religious or political legitimacy.

3- I invite everyone, specially the youth, to continue reclaiming their dues in calm, and not let those who want to associate this movement with chaos succeed.

4- I ask the police and army personals not to “sell their religion”, and beware that receiving orders will not excuse them before god. Recognize the protesting youth as your children. Today censor and cutting telecommunication lines can not hide the truth.

I pray for the greatness of the Iranian people.
  • Sounds like Khamenei just "reconfirmed" the "results" of the election in favor of Ahmadinejad.
  • Sounds like Khamenei just "reconfirmed" the "results" of the election in favor of Ahmadinejad.
    Interesting. Montazeri was supposed to be Supreme Leader until his falling out with the late Khomeini. He is backing Musavi while the current Supreme Leader Khamenei supports Ahmadinejad. Is there any possibility that Montazeri might be angling for Supreme Leader should a revolution/coup take place? (This is wild speculation, I am just attempting to get a handle on the larger picture.)
  • There needs to be more positional titles with "Supreme" in them...
    Yeah, because it is working out so well in Iran.
    I'm still pissed that the KKK took all the good titles involving the word dragon. Fuckers.
    I'm still pissed that the KKK took all the good titles involving the word dragon. Fuckers.
    Take 'em back. I bet if Jewish leaders started going by those titles, the KKK would drop them fairly quickly.
  • There was a Supreme Allied Commander in WWII, I'd say that worked out quite well.

Back on topic, I've not really been following the Iranian elections until recently. Is the opponent significantly more moderate than Ahmadinejad?
  • edited June 2009
    Is the opponent significantly more moderate than Ahmadinejad?
    Yes, from what little I know of Musavi, I do know he is much more moderate on women's issues.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Is the opponent significantly more moderate than Ahmadinejad?
    Yes, from what little I know of Musavi, I do know he is much more moderate on women's issues.
    Uncovered women in public? Blasphemy!
  • CNN's coverage, or more specifically their lack of coverage, is very upsetting. Right now when I flip around the 3 major 24/7 news networks, I see Fox News' Hannity yelling about Letterman and Palin, CNN's Larry King also yelling about Letterman and Palin, and MSNBC's Rachel Maddow talking about Iran. I usually prefer CNN, as I feel they're the most neutral, with Fox on the right and MSNBC on the left. However, I'll take left-ish news about stuff I care about over neutral filler any day.

I would give anything to have BBC become a 24/7 American news network. Hell, a televised news-only NPR would suffice.
    Take 'em back. I bet if Jewish leaders started going by those titles, the KKK would drop them fairly quickly.
    If I found a synagogue led by a Grand Rabbinical Dragon, I would convert immediately. I would even keep kosher.