This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Summer Wars

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
The next anime from Mamoru Hosoda is coming this summer! I loved The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and as far as I am concerned, this director is one of the few people who might pick up the mantle of anime great from Miyazaki after he retires.

2Wi2lb1sVk8

From ANN:
Satoko Okudera (Angel, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Miyori no Mori) wrote the screenplay, while Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Evangelion, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, FLCL) designed the characters.

Edit: Do you want a translation? I'll post it later if you do.

Comments

• Been waiting since the begin Spring season. I also still have to finish watching Miyori no Mori, I started, more like sampled, when I had little time. I wholly agree that this guy is part of the next generation of great anime directors.
    Edit: Do you want a translation? I'll post it later if you do.
    Can we? It'd be nice, though, it doesn't really matter for me, I'll watch the film either way.
  • I have no idea what is going on in that trailer, but I'm intrigued by this film. Looks very interesting.
  • Just for the Director and Character Designer, I'll probably end up watching this.
  • Mamoru Hosoda cut his directing teeth on the Digimon films. For them being Digimon they are really good films. Watch the Japanese version though. The one Fox put out is actually three very edited films put together. If you saw Superflat Monogram and Digimon: Our War Game the look is very similar when they are in the internet. Yeah, I said IN the internet.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this. He's one of my favorite directors. The character designer is also my fave.
  • edited June 2009
    Boy: [V.O.] - This is the story of what happened to me during one outrageous summer vacation.

Girl: Hey, do you guys want a part-time job?
    Guys: Eh?
    Girl: Currently hiring one person.

text [for four days, the job that I was asked to do was...]

Girl: This is Koisa Kenji.
    Old Lady: Pleased to meet you.
    Girl: My boyfriend!
    Boy: Eh?
    Old Lady: Do you feel confident you can give her a happy life?
    Boy: Uh?

text [...I had to play the role of my crush, Natsuki's, fiancee]

Policeman: You have a fiancee? I won't forgive you for this, Natsuki!

(fish in a bucket)
    Man: Yellowtail!
    Kid: Squid!

Boy [V.O.] Who I met was...

(at the dinner table)
    Old man: By the way, groom-to-be, what about the shop?
    Boy: Eh?

Man: Our ancestors fought with the military force of at least 2000 in the first battle of muitaka!

Boy [V.O.] A big family overflowing with personality.
    text [lead by the 90 year old grandmother, a crazy encampment of extended family]

text and Boy [V.O.] and then...
    text and Boy [V.O.] There was the danger of the world being destroyed.

TV: Was the culprit a minor? Possibly a student?
    Old Lady: Is that picture definitely you?
    Boy: I'm innocent.
    Old Lady: It's crucial that you don't give up. You can do it.

text and Boy [V.O.] There was someone who believed in me.
    text and Boy [V.O.] There was someone who I wanted to protect.

Friend: Now what did you say you were starting?
    Boy: A battle.

Man: Hold on there, we're right here with you!
    Old Man: Only you can solve this.

text and Boy [V.O.] On my small back...

Girl: Come on, you can do it!
    Boy: Yes!

Crowd: Go!
    Crowd: Do it!

Boy: Wish me luck!

text and Boy [V.O.] rested the future of humanity.

*Summer Wars*
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I saw the trailer and I admit it looks really cool. Thanks for the translation, Emily. I want to see it.
  • Mamoru Hosoda cut his directing teeth on the Digimon films. For them being Digimon they are really good films.
    You stole that from Clarissa. I think.
  • Mamoru Hosoda cut his directing teeth on the Digimon films. For them being Digimon they are really good films.
    You stole that from Clarissa. I think.
    Huh? I'm a big fan of Digimon. Been one for years. And I saw the similarities between them, Superflat Monogram and Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Did some wiki and found out on my own.
  • Thanks for the translation, that definitely fills in a lot of the gaps about what I thought was going on and what actually was going on.
  • I have to say, I'm loving the animation. I haven't seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but I'm fairly excited to see this!
  • Is this a movie or a series?
  • Is this a movie or a series?
    It's a film.
    Huh? I'm a big fan of Digimon. Been one for years. And I saw the similarities between them, Superflat Monogram and Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Did some wiki and found out on my own.
    You sounded too much like Clarissa when she reviewed Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Also I agree, Digimon > Pokemon. But in both cases, first series > later series.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey! I resent that! Yes, the Digimon Anime > the Pokemon Anime, BUT the Pokemon Games > the Digimon Games. Hands Down.

Also, are there any details as to how soon this film will come to America (in theaters or in some sort of Fansub)?
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Also, are there any details as to how soon this film will come to America (in theaters or in some sort of Fansub)?
    When the DVD come out in Japan fansubs will probably follow soon.
    the Pokemon Games > the Digimon Games.
    Comparing something to nothing is impossible.
  • Comparing something to nothing is impossible.
    There is something...http://images.google.com/images?svnum=30&hl;=en&safe;=off&q;=digimon%20gba