This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How did you find GeekNights?

Comments

• They said Geeknights had only 40 listeners!
    Are you sure they weren't talking about some other podcast? I can assure you that we have more listeners than that. ^_~
  • I have been listening since July. I heard about Geeknights from a board game podcast by Mark Johnson called "Boardgames To Go." He mentioned a show he described as a couple of guys who put on an amazing show 4 nights a week, and they tended to swear a lot too. I knew I had to check things out. I started out just a Tuesday guy, but now I look forward to every new episode. Keep it up Rym and Scott!
  • edited December 2006
    I heard about it on some anime podcast. Not sure which cuz a lot of them seem to play promos for GN.
    Post edited by Axersia on
  • Igot hooked byNinjaconsultant. They saidGeeknights had only 40listeners!Check out http://www.ninjaconsultant.livejournal.com/ for a great podcast.
    This may be old, but I believe you were referring to Fast Karate for the Gentleman.
  • I believe I heard about you on Escape Pod. The first Geeknights episode I listened to was the one about the Zombie Apocalypse. I was very happy with that episode because I think about that kind of stuff ALL THE TIME.
  • I believe I heard about you on Escape Pod. The first Geeknights episode I listened to was the one about the Zombie Apocalypse. I was very happy with that episode because I think about that kind of stuff ALL THE TIME.
    Escape Pod talked about us?
  • edited December 2006
    I think so. I started listening to you soon after I listened to a marathon of Escape Pod, so that makes me think I heard about you on Escape Pod. I believe I heard one of your promos.

Don't ask me to prove it. Now that I think about it, it might have been from Twitch Asylum.

No. I really think it was Escape Pod.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Yeah, 40 people....and add my other friends (which bumps the GeekNights listening count to 5+ billion!!)
  • edited December 2006
    I believe I heard about you on Escape Pod. The first Geeknights episode I listened to was the one about the Zombie Apocalypse. I was very happy with that episode because I think about that kind of stuff ALL THE TIME.
    Ah, the Zombie Apocalypse episode. I thoroughly enjoyed that episode.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • edited December 2006
    I found Geeknights by listening to WARP and AWO.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I was searching for other stuff like TWiT (this week in tech) podcast on yahoo podcast and GeekNights came up. Saw that GeekNights also did anime and videogames and I listened to all the podcast and I liked it.
  • Found via iTunes in Jan or Feb 2006 (about the time I got the iPod)

Found by looking for gaming (video and otherwise) podcasts. I had been through a couple of anime podcasts and decided that they were all going to suck (Thank Jim for AWO... and GN, to a lesser extent), so I had given up on them. Then I started listening to all days. Mondays often bore me, since I know a vast majority of it, but it keeps my ears occupied.
  • From Weekly Anime Review Podcast. But Since Arron (I believe this is how you spell it) was MIA, I started to listen to GN. But it was mostly to hear about the Clown Pistols.
  • On the Otakon forums a little over a year ago
  • I'm an aspiring voice actor (I'm not one yet, but I own a microphone and I've been practicing with recording programs and the like). To start out my journey, I discovered a forum called the Voice Acting Club where people can test their skills and get discovered by producers (amateur and professional) who need work on their projects.

Long story short, someone posted a link to your podcast in the links board.
  • Now and then I reread Scott Pilgrim and decided to search for podcasts that talked about the book... Gave this a listen and I totally shared the passion you 2 and Emily had for Pilgrim... Listened to some older episodes and was hooked.
  • Short version: Anime World Order, but from mention in conversation, not promos.

Long version:
    I have an hour-long commute, and I feel conventional radio is asinine, so I needed something to listen to while driving. I like anime, and I had heard mention of these podcast things, so I googled "anime podcast." The first link was a sucky podcast that isn't even being updated currently, and the next was Anime Pulse. I started listening them, and they sufficed until they mentioned Anime World Order. Once I listened to AWO, I pretty much dropped Anime Pulse. AWO mentioned GeekNights several times, I checked it out, and now it's my new obsession. Ta-da!
  • I learned about Geeknights in about the same manner as clay. The only difference is that I don't have the hour-long commute as an excuse.
  • I learned about Geeknights in about the same manner as clay. The only difference is that I don't have the hour-long commute as an excuse.
    I thought you meant clay as in the substance. I was very confused until I looked up.
  • Wow, okay. Long story.

I read Aido's comic Fallen, and there was one week where she was having trouble with her server or something, so the actual page was up on her livejournal. In a post a few days before, she had said something about doing a webcomics roundtable with the GeekNights folks along with Brian Carroll, Mookie, etc. Being a reader of webcomics, and having read bits of Instant Classic, I figured I'd download it and listen to it when I went to an arts festival with my mom.

I was hooked. I wandered from booth to booth unseeingly, listening to Rym rant about protein bars and underwear perverts. I didn't really get into it until a few weeks later, when football season started and I needed things to distract me from the actual game until half-time when I'd watch the band. I downloaded the episodes on the origins of the Front Row Crew, and the Vision and the Bamboo story before giving up and subscribing to Thursdays. I then went back to download pretty much any other episode I was interested in.

It took me a great deal of time to listen to them all, but seeing as there were quite a few football games I was obligated to attend by my friends in marching band, I had ample time to listen to them all.

The rest is history. My friends sometimes look at me strangely when I use a RymandScottism, but that's all right.
  • My story...isn't as long.

I was on another forum, then someone mentioned THIS forum. They also mentioned your podcast. So, since I was pretty good friends with the person who had posted that, I decided to look you up on iTunes. I am now glad that I did, because I am now subscribed to 3 of those 4 topics of GeekNights :D
  • I first heard about Geeknights from Anime World Order during a con report, I think.

Then, after the whole Clarissa-To Terra thing, I began to consider giving GN a shot.

I finally subscribed after I listened to the Worst Podcasts episode. I found out about it from some Anime Pulse fans who were indignant and whatnot over how badly their precious show got owned. I figured anyone decent enough to see through that show was worth listening to.
  • edited May 2007
    I heard about Geeknights from my cousin. I put it off and put it off and finally needed a new podcast for my commute. Now I'm listening to as much Geeknights as I can get. The voices of Rym and Scott fill my ears pretty much from 8:30am to 5 or 6pm M-F. So much hilarious awesomeness in one podcast...it's just...thanks for the good times.

I've also already managed to pass on the good times to someone else who wasn't particularly interested in any of the topics but I convinced to listen based solely on the awesomeness factor and now he's starting to get into Anime and such a little bit so good job guys!
    Post edited by raquor on
  • edited May 2007
    One word Curiosity in Geek-culture, the name for this show had most appealing and the first episode I heard I was hooked.

PS. I think that was episode two hundred when Rym had jury duty.
    Post edited by dopievoli on
  • I heard about it from a promo on Anime Pulse. Ironically, the first episeode of GN i listened to was the worst podcast contest, in which Anime Pulse was one of the winners. GG
  • It's a while back, so I might not remember correctly.

[flashback cue NOW]

Back in class, a while ago.. on December 5th, 2006 I think.
    I said to my friend, "Man! I'm bored...". And he said "Dude! check this out. I won't rest until you do!" (that last part may or may not be entirely true). so I listened to the "061205 - The Return to D&D" episode. it was awesome, even though I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about, but I didn't care... been into this podcast ever since
  • I think I discovered it through the podcast link on Digg. Either that or I just did a random search for "geek" podcasts.
  • I heard about it from a promo on Anime Pulse.
    Wow.  Not only did I not think anyone actually played our promos, but I'd forgotten that they're even still up on the site. =P
  • edited June 2007
    I first heard about you on AWO, but started listening after your show was linked to by Dane from Anime Pacific.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I heard about it from a promo on Anime Pulse.
    Same.