This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I accidentally all over your Republicans.

edited June 2009 in Politics
Cynthia Davis, a republican representative in charge of Health and Senior Services, is packed full of fail. In response to a summer meal program (it helps kids who rely on school lunch during the school year, kids as young as 5) she said the following tidbits in response to articles presented,
ARTICLE: Current economic woes make Summer Food Service Program more important than ever . Program provides nutritious meals to young people throughout the state.
Davis:The implication suggests that during a recession, parents don’t give their children nutritious food. The reverse may be true. During hard times, many families find it even more important to pull together. Families may economize by choosing to not waste hard earned dollars on potato chips, ice cream, or Twinkies. Perhaps some families will buy more beans and chicken and less sweets.
Because, you know, all struggling families are blowing their money on junk food when they can't afford other foods.
ARTICLE: School’s out, but the need for children to get nutritious meals doesn’t take a summer break.
Davis: Is school the only place a child can get a nutritious meal? Parents have good reason to dispute the idea that their children will not receive a nutritious meal if they are not in a government institution. Who should be the one to pass judgment on what defines a nutritious meal? I represent many fine families in District 19 and I am proud of all of them for doing what is best for their children.
Because no one really knows what makes a nutritious meal, and parents should decide on their own without any help, at all, ever. I hear rats have a lot of protein...
ARTICLE: With the current economic downturn, Missouri’s Summer Food Service Program will be needed more than ever this year, state health officials say.
Davis: They are using a “crisis” to create an expansion of a government program. Parents naturally love their children and enjoy caring for their children just as much as ever during an economic downturn. Most parents put their children first, even ahead of themselves no matter what. If parents are laid off, that doesn’t mean they stop feeding their children, at least not any of the parents I know. Laid off parents could adapt by preparing more home cooked meals rather than going out to eat.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF:explode:

The stupidity continues at her website here. I particularly enjoy the part where she insinuates that if we have an obesity problem that there couldn't possibly be that many hungry people around, and that a bit of hunger might help that problem too! Yay!

Comments

• If I had head-explody, it would be all over.
  • edited June 2009
    ARTICLE: Current economic woes make Summer Food Service Program more important than ever . Program provides nutritious meals to young people throughout the state.
    Davis:The implication suggests that during a recession, parents donÂ’t give their children nutritious food. The reverse may be true. During hard times, many families find it even more important to pull together. Families may economize by choosing to not waste hard earned dollars on potato chips, ice cream, or Twinkies. Perhaps some families will buy more beans and chicken and less sweets.
    Because, you know, all struggling families are blowing their money on junk food when they can't afford other foods.
    Uhh, actually, a lot of them are. It's a very well-established fact that poorer people are more likely to eat less healthy food because it is cheaper.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • ARTICLE: Current economic woes make Summer Food Service Program more important than ever . Program provides nutritious meals to young people throughout the state.
    Davis:The implication suggests that during a recession, parents donÂ’t give their children nutritious food. The reverse may be true. During hard times, many families find it even more important to pull together. Families may economize by choosing to not waste hard earned dollars on potato chips, ice cream, or Twinkies. Perhaps some families will buy more beans and chicken and less sweets.
    Uhh, actually, a lot of them are.It's a very well-established fact that poorer people are more likely to eat less healthy food because it is cheaper.
    Yeah, I've always known that eating healthy, in most cases, does cost more than eating junk food shit you can buy at a gas station.
  • ARTICLE: Current economic woes make Summer Food Service Program more important than ever . Program provides nutritious meals to young people throughout the state.
    Uhh, actually, a lot of them are.It's a very well-established fact that poorer people are more likely to eat less healthy food because it is cheaper.
    Yeah, I've always known that eating healthy, in most cases, does cost more than eating junk food shit you can buy at a gas station.
    Which is why they're so fat. Hmmm. So if they continue to not get good food (in an attempt to starve the fat people, like she suggests), they will get fatter instead. So... is this some grand plot to cultivate more fat people in America? Or is she just evil and wants poor people to starve? Hmm.
    So obviously when they have less money because of the poor economy, they should eat healthier, which costs more.
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, many foods that are "healthier" cost the same or less than "junk" food. Milk, eggs, canned vegetables and fruit, fresh fruit and vegetables (depending on location: strawberries and citrus fruit is cheap in FL, apples are cheap in NY, etc.), meat/fish that is local to your area is often quite cheap (like fish was when I lived in Tampa, FL) tap water with a filter (in place of soda), rolled oats, cheese, beans, etc. are all inexpensive and healthy. Overall, healthy homemade foods created from simple, inexpensive ingredients are cheaper. However, they take a time investment to prepare. Many people pick more expensive pre-prepared meals and snacks, eat far to much of them and end up spending far more than if they ate simple, fresh and homemade foods in reasonable quantities.

@ Mr. MacRoss: I am disappointed that you used the word "hate" and that you used one woman's opinions to define an entire group. Please rename the thread. As much as I dislike some of the Republican agenda and have no respect for this particular person, she does not speak for the entire party and to hate is to harm yourself.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • to hate is to harm yourself.
    Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate....leads to Suffering!
  • edited June 2009
    to hate is to harm yourself.
    Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate....leads to Suffering!
    and I said: "Hey babe, take a walk on the dark side."
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • @ Mr. MacRoss: I am disappointed that you used the word "hate" and that you used one woman's opinions to define an entire group. Please rename the thread. As much as I dislike some of the Republican agenda and have no respect for this particular person, she does not speak for the entire party and to hate is to harm yourself.
    Rym said the same thing.
  • edited June 2009
    @ Mr. MacRoss: I am disappointed that you used the word "hate" and that you used one woman's opinions to define an entire group. Please rename the thread. As much as I dislike some of the Republican agenda and have no respect for this particular person, she does not speak for the entire party and to hate is to harm yourself.
    Rym said the same thing.
    I can understand why he is so bothered by this woman that he overreacted. Bitch be stupid and crazy.
  • True dat.
  • To unerscore my previous post regarding the cost of food: Many foods labled as "junk" food still have some decent nutritional value (ice cream, potato chips/crisps, pizza, hamburgers, fries, etc.). These foods in moderate amounts and supplemented with other foods are not "unhealthy". The obesity problem stems from eating too much food (whether "junk" food or not) and sedentary lifestyles.
  • This is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

I have a friend who works in social services. They work with low income families on a daily basis. Separate from the cost of food, is the issue of education as it pertains to food. Many of the low income families that my friend works with think nothing of their two year old drinking Mountain Dew all day. They just don't appreciate the consequences of having 2,000 extra calories a day from a soft drink. Their parents didn't teach them, which is why a lot of agencies try to break this cycle. But this takes time.

Healthy can be cheap, but it takes more time to prepare the food. Beans are cheap, but they aren't quick to make. That's why people are so attracted to convenience foods. I think we're all guilty to some extent.
  • edited June 2009
    Not to mention a pre-prepared meal offers a guarantee. If you have a Hungry Man TV Dinner, you know what to expect: a limp but agreeable piece of meat, some salt-packed gravy and corn, and a Little Debbie style brownie. It may not be the best, but it's far from intolerable. You get fresh ingredients for homecooked stir-fry, you may get a five-star meal that's Better Than Mama! (Like I proudly made myself yesterday), or you could get an important phone call at the last moment and be forced to eat a horrific failure. An adult may be able to tolerate that, but it's not something you can serve to your four year old son.

Oh, and I was thinking of writing something similar to Mrs. Macross yesterday about the thread name. Good thing she beat me to it. Democrats have their fair share of nutjobs as well.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • This is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

I have a friend who works in social services. They work with low income families on a daily basis. Separate from the cost of food, is the issue of education as it pertains to food. Many of the low income families that my friend works with think nothing of their two year old drinking Mountain Dew all day. They just don't appreciate the consequences of having 2,000 extra calories a day from a soft drink. Their parents didn't teach them, which is why a lot of agencies try to break this cycle. But this takes time.

Healthy can be cheap, but it takes more time to prepare the food. Beans are cheap, but they aren't quick to make. That's why people are so attracted to convenience foods. I think we're all guilty to some extent.
    I completely agree that there is a lack of education as well as discipline regarding food in households (both above and below the poverty line). However, I completely disagree about the assertion that pre-prepared foods take any more time per meal than convenience food. Crockpots, microwaves, meals that can be made at large quantities and then re-heated as leftovers, low prep foods like salads and most simple pasta dishes, instant rice, "eat as is" foods like fresh vegetables, cheeses, etc. can all mitigate the time issue. The problem is planning, knowledge and the perception that making a meal needs to take a lot of time.
    When I was young, my Mom had to work three jobs, but she still made cheap, healthy meals with minimal prep like veggie, fruit and cheese platters, rice and beans, large meals like soups and stews that could be warmed up later, any days she had off she would bake several loaves of bread and freeze them for later thawing and use, fish ( which cooks in minutes and it was cheap in FL), oranges (we had an orange tree in the back yard), and so on.
  • Actually, many foods that are "healthier" cost the same or less than "junk" food. Milk, eggs, canned vegetables and fruit, fresh fruit and vegetables (depending on location: strawberries and citrus fruit is cheap in FL, apples are cheap in NY, etc.), meat/fish that is local to your area is often quite cheap (like fish was when I lived in Tampa, FL) tap water with a filter (in place of soda), rolled oats, cheese, beans, etc. are all inexpensive and healthy.
    Canned vegetables and fruit? Is that healthy? Fresh veggies and fruit is where it's at! Also, apples up here in Ohio are fucking expensive (usually like $1.99/lb), especially considering we grow them here.
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, many foods that are "healthier" cost the same or less than "junk" food. Milk, eggs, canned vegetables and fruit, fresh fruit and vegetables (depending on location: strawberries and citrus fruit is cheap in FL, apples are cheap in NY, etc.), meat/fish that is local to your area is often quite cheap (like fish was when I lived in Tampa, FL) tap water with a filter (in place of soda), rolled oats, cheese, beans, etc. are all inexpensive and healthy.
    Canned vegetables and fruit? Is that healthy? Fresh veggies and fruit is where it's at! Also, apples up here in Ohio are fucking expensive (usually like $1.99/lb), especially considering we grow them here.
    Fresh is better, but canned is cheaper (usually) and still healthy. The point was meeting nutritional needs cheaply.
  • edited June 2009
    However, I completely disagree about the assertion that pre-prepared foods take any more time per meal than convenience food.
    When I said that, I was thinking about an article I read where a couple tried to eat healthy foods on a very modest budget. Their conclusion was that it took a lot more planning and time to stay within the budget.

This study is very interesting. I wonder if there was any follow up research.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Rice and beans, man. Collards in the crock pot.
  • edited June 2009
    How about a summer "here's how to get, prepare, and eat healthy foods and meals within your budget" program instead? Teach a man to fish and all that...

It doesn't take that much time to prepare if you stick to simple stuff. Stove, meet pan. Pan, meet olive oil and chicken breast. Throw in some Italian seasoning to spice it up a little, add the lid, and let it cook. I can split a zucchini longwise into quarters, lay them on a plate, add some butter, salt, and pepper, and microwave it for 4 minutes on half power. Vegetable is done, and it took about 6 minutes total. Need a starch? How about rice? Bulk rice is incredibly cheap, and so are rice cookers nowadays.

I can make this entire meal in the time it takes the rice to cook in the rice cooker. Saying they don't have time to cook is bullshit. Not "knowing how to cook" is also bullshit. If you can READ, you can cook. I save time and money by cooking my own meals. When you can open up three $.99 cans, heat the contents, and have a reasonable meal, I don't wanna hear it. These people are just making excuses for bad life choices. Just because they don't know how to doesn't mean it's not possible. Plenty of us do it every day, and a program that teaches others how to do it would be much more beneficial than a meal program by itself.

I also have to wonder if these people have considered that a relatively cheap amount of raw ingredients can yield quite a few portions, as opposed to the single serving you get out of your fast-food or junk food. Cooking meals in bulk can save time and money, too. I loves me a good freezer.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited June 2009
    Dear Nuri, apathy is a hardy adversary and usually can't be trumped. People want to be handed fish. They don't want to learn how to get the worm on the hook. The people who most need your proposed class in common sense are of the personality types who won't bother to attend.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • How about a summer "here's how to get, prepare, and eat healthy foods and meals within your budget" program instead? Teach a man to fish and all that...
    Dear Nuri, apathy is a hardy adversary and usually can't be trumped. People want to be handed fish. They don't want to learn how to get the worm on the hook. The people who most need your proposed class in common sense are of the personality types who won't bother to attend.
    How about: "Dangle fish in front of stupid man, lure him to class, let him munch on fish while we teach him how to catch one for himself."

Maybe free food and teaching could be combined. I remember in elementary school sometimes they taught us how to cook simple things (like hamburger bun pizza) and then we got to eat them afterwards. Fun times. These food programs could provide them with free basic ingredients and instruct them how to make meals on their own. If the poor people don't want to obtain these free ingredients just because they don't feel like cooking it (similarly, if poor people don't want to BUY cheap basic ingredients), then its their own gosh dern fault for being lazy. However, I have to say that I feel bad for the kids with families like these. It sounds mean for someone to say they don't want to serve kids free food because their parents are too lazy and cheap to make good food.
  • edited June 2009
    Nuri, while I agree with your point and a movement for educating low income families on budgeting and healthy, convenient food prep is a great idea; this particular program for providing meals to children doesn't completely correlate with your situation. Many families cannot meet their basic bills or have to decide whether to put gas in the car to get to and from work or buy $10.00 worth of groceries. These families have multiple mouths to feed and their incomes which were likely minuscule to begin with are now nonexistent. It is easy to live cheaply when someone has an income and no children. Remove the income and add in even one extra mouth to feed and the situation becomes dire. A person can know how to cook cheap meals, but if they can't pay their electric bill, water bill, rent, mortgage, put gas in the car, pay for car insurance, pay for medical expenses, etc. let alone purchase any groceries (healthy or not) all that knowledge is useless.
  • It is easy to live cheaply when someone has an income and no children. Remove the income and add in even one extra mouth to feed and the situation becomes dire.
    A question. If someone already has little or no income (but has enough to provide for themselves adequately), and they choose to have a child despite the clear inability to provide for said child, what action should we as a society take?
  • edited June 2009
    It is easy to live cheaply when someone has an income and no children. Remove the income and add in even one extra mouth to feed and the situation becomes dire.
    A question. If someone already has little or no income (but has enough to provide for themselves adequately), and they choose to have a child despite the clear inability to provide for said child, what action should we as a society take?
    You are assuming that someone didn't have an adequate income when they had the child. A family could have been making a reasonable income with both parents working at GM, for instance. Now both parents are out of a job and their unemployment benefits will likely run out before new industries can replace their jobs. Divorce, job loss, illness, etc. can all cause a family that was once fine to flounder.
    More importantly, should children starve as a result of their parents' folly? This program only aids minors.
  • You are assuming that someone didn't have an adequate income when they had the child. A family could have been making a reasonable income with both parents working at GM, for instance. Now both parents are out of a job and their unemployment benefits will likely run out before new industries can replace their jobs. Divorce, job loss, illness, etc. can all cause a family that was once fine to flounder.
    That's not the question. He said what if someone already had little or no income.
  • edited June 2009
    More importantly, should children starve as a result of their parents' folly? This program only aids minors.
    I think I stated my response to that question rather clearly.
  • You are assuming that someone didn't have an adequate income when they had the child. A family could have been making a reasonable income with both parents working at GM, for instance. Now both parents are out of a job and their unemployment benefits will likely run out before new industries can replace their jobs. Divorce, job loss, illness, etc. can all cause a family that was once fine to flounder.
    That's not the question. He said what if someone already had little or no income.
    Then it means the parents are dumb and irresponsible. These are the people that will make the "Idiocracy" situation happen. Sigh.

Still, I don't think it's wrong to want to feed the kids of poor families. Don't we already try do that in 3rd world countries? Yeah their circumstances are much worse, but still...
  • edited June 2009
    You are assuming that someone didn't have an adequate income when they had the child. A family could have been making a reasonable income with both parents working at GM, for instance. Now both parents are out of a job and their unemployment benefits will likely run out before new industries can replace their jobs. Divorce, job loss, illness, etc. can all cause a family that was once fine to flounder.
    Then it means the parents are dumb and irresponsible. These are the people that will make the "Idiocracy" situation happen. Sigh.
    Yeah, because no great thinkers, leaders, inventors, etc. ever came from poor families.
  • You are assuming that someone didn't have an adequate income when they had the child.
    Yes, I am. In this specific case, what should we as a society do? Does a person have the right to knowingly and willfully create a burden for society for which they have no ability to provide?

I'm not talking about people who are brought low by circumstance or tragedy. I am specifically targeting people who choose to have a child for which they cannot provide.