This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090623 - Gauntlet

edited June 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the classic Gauntlet video game series. In the news, Blood Bowl is coming out soon, and so is Natural Selection 2.

Scott's Thing - Symphony of the Blood
Rym's Thing - Real Life Goro

Comments

• Ah, Gauntlet. Me and my siblings always had a blast playing Gauntlet: Legends on the N64. I guess I'll hear about the good ol' days of Arcade Gauntlet on this podcast, huh? Can't wait.
  • Yes, me always had a blast playing Gauntlet too.
  • Yes, me always had a blast playing Gauntlet too.
    This is my quote of the day. Well played, sir.
  • Bad news regarding Symphony of the Blood; This isn't a real game. This looks like an artist's concept of what a fighting game featuring all these characters might look like. You can also suggest new characters/moves, and s/he/it will try to add it to the roster.

一応断っておきますがすべてジョークなので本気にしないでくださいね。
    Just so it's clear, it's all a joke, so please don't take it seriously.
  • This isn't a real game.
    As I suspected, Scott. ;^)
  • I figured that when I couldn't find a download link.
  • This guy's site.. suffice it to say:
    Rockman 2: THE HEAVY METAL! (Gallery.)
    Black Jackoon (Also gallery.)
  • I enjoyed Gauntlet on my Atari Lynx way back when... think I played multiplayer once
  • Gauntlet Legends for the N64 was a blast. I tried the GameCube version, and I don't know why the fun just didn't translate well.
  • Gauntlet Legends for the N64 was a blast. I tried the GameCube version, and I don't know why the fun just didn't translate well.
    Hmm, this is interesting. I had thought maybe the fun was lost on the GameCube because I was playing it with different people who were not so enthusiastic. But maybe there was something about that N64 version that made it better. It's so long ago I can't remember.
    Hmm, this is interesting. I had thought maybe the fun was lost on the GameCube because I was playing it with different people who were not so enthusiastic. But maybe there was something about that N64 version that made it better. It's so long ago I can't remember.
    Yeah, I agree about the Gamecube version. It was called Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Something about the way it was just didn't feel as fun.
    Maybe it was just because there was nothing new. Like, it was the exact same levels in better graphics, some new levels, and some new characters. But other than that...I dunno. Gauntlet: Legends was great when me, my brother, and stepsister played it. I guess we made the N64 version more enjoyable by Pseudo-roleplaying. We made up crap stories (that were good for our age) to go along with our characters, and would sit and improvise dialogue in between fights. It was actually fun. By the time it came out on other systems...I was too old to do that, and so the fun was lost.
  • I don't think age has much to do with it for me. I remember playing a bit of Guantlet Legends recently and I still had a blast.
  • My brother and I got super into Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for the PS2. If you had a four player adapter, you could get into some really fun games no matter who was playing. We both managed to max out almost every class and unlock all of the hidden classes. Its a very repetitive game, but the reward factor and the addicting experience points make it really enjoyable.

If you watch the extras on Midways Arcade Treasures, one of the videos has the maker of Gauntlet talking about play-time to quarter ratio. He created the game with the intention of getting 60 seconds out of each quarter. I think thats total BS because the later levels its more like 10 seconds. If you encounter Death without a potion, thats a quarter right there. He also talks a little bit about creating the levels, and how ingenious they were about doing competitions for fans to make levels for the game.
  • Was this one of those random episodes you guys did where you randomly thought of a topic, or is it because supposedly, the DS version of this game is coming out monday?
  • Was this one of those random episodes you guys did where you randomly thought of a topic, or is it because supposedly, the DS version of this game is coming out monday?
    I did not know about the DS game coming out Monday.