This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When is a Coup a Coup?

edited June 2009 in Politics
I've been reading reports all morning about the events in Honduras and I'm not sure if it was a coup or not.

Early reports made it sound like the military rose up and deposed the president but now I'm hearing that the military was acting under the orders of the Supreme Court. I have also been learning that this particular problem has been brewing for a while now and that the president had been told not to do it repeatedly and was even trying to get the military to do his bidding going so far as to fire one military leader who said no to him.

I also found this:
TRANSLATION - Article 239.- The citizen that has been the head of the Executive Branch cannot be President or Vice-President again.
Whoever violates this law or proposes its reform, as well as those that support such violation directly or indirectly, will immediately cease in their functions and will be unable to hold any public office for a period of 10 years.
So, WTF? Was this a coup or was it legal?

Yes I have simplified everything and glossed over things on purpose. Do some research into the news surrounding this event before posting a response to the question.

Comments