This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Starcraft 2

Comments

• Complain about the DRM, but don't complain about the lack of a meaningless and archaic "feature."
    Maybe I misunderstood the press announcement. Will the only interaction with the internet be the authorization? If the actual game play is over the network and not to the battle.net servers and back, I don't have an issue with that. My only concern is having 4+ people on my poor internet connection.
  • edited July 2009
    My best estimation would be that you matchmake over the Internet then play by connecting to the host player's computer. It should be capable of working out when players are on the same network.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The big problem people really need to figure out is how to deal with NAT routers. Everyone needs, and should use, NAT routers in their house for security purposes, to save IP addresses, and just to get more than one computer in your house online. However, NAT routers make it difficult, if not impossible, to host video game servers on the equipment in your home.

The result is that we often rely on dedicated servers to play our games online. Either we pay the game publisher to host server, like with World of Warcraft, or we host our own, like with Counter-Strike. The thing is, there is absolutely no reason that we should have to do this. There are some very well known methods of "busting" NAT. Skype does it. Hamachi does it. Multiplayer games should just have this technology built in. Creating and joining games, going around routers, and finding other player's IP addresses should be completely transparent to the game player.
  • edited July 2009
    Can someone tell me whether Skype actually benefits from port forwarding? Someone said on one of the Geekchats that port forwarding will improve upon Skype's built in NAT busting abilities but Google isn't finding much on the subject.

This podcast seems interesting. They are covering Skype 2.5 though, not Skype 4 or 2.0 *Damn you Skype!* for Linux.

Well anyway, I've port forwarded my Skype client but is it worth asking others to do the same?
  • edited July 2009
    Complain about the DRM, but don't complain about the lack of a meaningless and archaic "feature."
    Maybe I misunderstood the press announcement. Will the only interaction with the internet be the authorization? If the actual game play is over the network and not to the battle.net servers and back, I don't have an issue with that. My only concern is having 4+ people on my poor internet connection.
    Cosmic, it's just that you don't understand the networking. RTS games are p2p or hosted by one of the players. It would be to no-one's advantage to route the traffic through the battle.net servers - latency would increase severely, and Blizzard would be paying for bandwidth they don't need to pay for. Traffic to a local destination would obviously be routed locally.
    The result is that we often rely on dedicated servers to play our games online. Either we pay the game publisher to host server, like with World of Warcraft, or we host our own, like with Counter-Strike. The thing is, there is absolutely no reason that we should have to do this.
    Bandwidth, especially upload bandwidth, is a significant issue for most people. Dedicated servers have their place.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited June 2010
    Bumping an old thread.... I *may*, may, may, may be able to get cheap'ish copies but I have no official word yet. I'd be willing to help people out for no price. If I'm limited to a quantity, I'll post as soon as I know. Anyone who hasn't pre-ordered yet who would be interested in that?

*EDIT* Do not forget that SC2 will be regionalized. If you would like a key outside of the US, I *might* not be able to accommodate you but I'll do my best!
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I would TOTALLY be interested.
  • Update : I can get up to 5 regular edition copies for $10 each. I plan on buying them all on general principle. While I cannot profit from these sales, I'm more than happy to try and hook up some forumites.
  • I would be happy to buy a key from you, if you can hook me up.
  • I have a friend who's interested, if you whisper me your email, I'll pass it on to him.
  • Update : I can get up to 5 regular edition copies for $10 each. I plan on buying them all on general principle. While I cannot profit from these sales, I'm more than happy to try and hook up some forumites.
    I am totally in on this.
  • At $10, I'd be willing to overlook the issues with Battle.NET 2.0.
  • I'd be willing to pay $10 for the game, if your queue isn't full.
  • To the FRCers: Isn't Starcraft the game that Darryl played to the exclusion of all else, even his girlfriends (of which I was shortly one)?
  • To the FRCers: Isn't Starcraft the game that Darryl played to the exclusion of all else, even his girlfriends (of which I was shortly one)?
    You mean RIT Darryl and not Daryl Surat. I think that game was Jumpgate.
  • You mean RIT Darryl and not Daryl Surat. I think that game was Jumpgate.
    RIT Darrel. not Daryl.
    You mean RIT Darryl and not Daryl Surat. I think that game was Jumpgate.
    Ah, you are correct, Sir. It was Jumpgate. It has been over 8 years now, so I forgot.
  • Ah, you are correct, Sir. It was Jumpgate. It has been over 8 years now, so I forgot.
    Poor Darrel. He had 24 hours worth of awesome each year, and he'd usually blow it in a single day.
  • http://kotaku.com/5580080/korean-gamers-are-faster-than-a-speeding-bullet

Video says it all.
    That's just insane. I can't imagine being able to move my fingers that fast.
  • *Update*

I should have anticipated this but a few of my friends came out of the woodwork wanting copies. I'll service them first and then contact people who expressed interest here once I get all of them squared away.
  • Damn, that looks so unhealthy.
  • That's what she said?
  • edited July 2010
    No.. this is what she said:
    I'll service them first and then contact people who expressed interest here
  • Sicko. =D
  • http://kotaku.com/5580080/korean-gamers-are-faster-than-a-speeding-bullet

Video says it all.
    If you look closely, 80% of the APM doesn't accomplish anything; they are mostly selecting and deselecting units for no reason or just moving their camera to different parts of the map for no reason.
  • *Update the second*

I was able to secure 3 more copies from another employee who wasn't ordering all of hers. It looks like everyone here should be able to get a code. =D
  • If you look closely, 80% of the APM doesn't accomplish anything; they are mostly selecting and deselecting units for no reason or just moving their camera to different parts of the map for no reason.
    I can't really tell. It looks to me like they are precisely controlling the individual military units.