This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geekchat - Fri. July 3rd, Welcome to the unsocial.

edited July 2009 in Forum Stuff
Back by theoretically popular demand, the next Geekchat will take place on Friday, July 3rd, at 2300 London/1800 New York. Come in, chat with geeks across the globe and, embrace your lack of anything to do on Friday night!

To join:
  1. Add "Omnutia" to your Skype contacts and include "Geekchat" somewhere in the introduction message.
  2. IM me sometime around when the Geekchat starts.
  3. If you come in late and I am offline, come back to this thread for further instructions.
If you have port forwarded before and are comfortable doing so, would you kindly port forward your Skype client. I would like to see if this improves call quality at all.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    June. JUNE! JUNE!

July you mean. :P
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Sorry, my folks are visiting for the holiday weekend. Count the MacRosses out.
  • edited July 2009
    @Viga: If you want to make the thread, feel free. Anyway, I've got the timecopter fixed, so it wouldn't be that hard to find a June the fourth.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've got the timecopter fixed, so it wouldn't be that hard to find a June the fourth.
    Sorry if I made you mad....what? Timecopter? Confused I am.
  • YAY!! I'll be there!!!
  • I won't be able to attend... bummer.
  • The way things are going right now, I'm most likely out of the running, but hold out hope still, I might manage it.
  • Working second shift Friday, but will pop in when I get home.
  • 2300GMT, crap that's late. Wait, you most likely failed to read the time again. I'll see if I'll wait till 1:00.
  • edited July 2009
    2300GMT, crap that's late. Wait, you most likely failed to read the time again. I'll see if I'll wait till 1:00.
    It's the same time as last time. Stop complaining. If you'd like, we can start earlier and have people join as they come.

@Churba: I hope you can get that wireless sorted out and join us.
  • I'll probably drop by a bit. I'll also try to be a bit more conversational :)
  • I'll be hanging out with the FRC on Friday, so I'll have to pass, not like I have a new mic or anything anyhow.
  • It's the same time as last time. Stop complaining.
    Oh god, you are more dense than granite, even after being told several times. Enjoy starting a hour earlier than written, again.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh god, you are more dense than granite
    Fucking awesome. Prepare to be squashed flat by my granite hands. I can also place hot saucepans upon my body then just wipe away any marks.

I think what Nineless is trying to get at here is that he'd like to start earlier, would anyone else like to start earlier?
  • I think what Nineless is trying to get at here is that he'd like to start earlier, would anyone else like to start earlier?
    I would.
  • Hour earlier or half-hour earlier?
  • I think what Nineless is trying to get at here is that he'd like to start earlier, would anyone else like to start earlier?
    No, I'm fine with starting at 2200 GMT. What I'm getting at is that you think BST == GMT, which is utterly ridiculous. The times you propose, as taken from the previous chat, should state 2300 BST and 1800 EDT. Unless of course you put up the correct times this time and truly want to start an hour later than previous chat, i.e. midnight your time. Taking time zones into account is not THAT hard or that far-fetched a thought when you're trying to set up conference call that spans multiple time zones.
  • So, if you talked like a normal person, what would your point be?
  • I swear to god, you pair, I'ma knock your goddamn heads together one of these days.
  • I swear to god, you pair, I'ma knock your goddamn heads together one of these days.
    I actually find their little arguments entertaining. More power to them.
  • I actually find their little argumentsbitchfights entertaining. More power to them.
  • I'm going to be late since I have to work.
  • edited July 2009
    So, if you talked like a normal person, what would your point be?
    I think his point is quite obvious. Last GeekChat started at 2200GMT, even though it was stated that it would begin at 2300GMT. Why? Because Omnutia screwed up the timezones. Nine is attempting to ensure that such confusion does not occur again.
    Clarification is needed as to whether we intend to begin at
    2200UTC = 2300BST = 1800EDT
    or
    2300UTC = midnight BST = 1900EDT
    Last time, Omnutia specified the latter of the two, yet we began at the former time.

I'll probably be able to find an hour or two to chat this time around, assuming I get my sleep worked out.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • So, if you talked like a normal person, what would your point be?
    I think his point is quite obvious. Last GeekChat started at 2200GMT, even though it was stated that it would begin at 2300GMT. Why? Because Omnutia screwed up the timezones. Nine is attempting to ensure that such confusion does not occur again.
    Clarification is needed as to whether we intend to begin at
    2200UTC = 2300BST = 1800EDT
    or
    2300UTC = midnight BST = 1900EDT
    Last time, Omnutia specified the latter of the two, yet we began at the former time.

I'll probably be able to find an hour or two to chat this time around, assuming I get my sleep worked out.
    To be fair, it's easy to forget that Omnutia and I are on BST, not GMT, and thus at the moment run at +1 hour because of daylight savings, and thus, 2300 Our time is 2200 GMT.
    True, he got it wrong, but it's a very easy mistake to make - Pretty much every english person I know Says that england is GMT, not BST, and despite that I should bloody well know better, I fall into the habit myself, at times.
  • Calm down dears, I've simplified things by stating the times in terms of London and New York.
  • edited July 2009
    True, he got it wrong, but it's a very easy mistake to make - Pretty much every english person I know Says that england is GMT, not BST, and despite that I should bloody well know better, I fall into the habit myself, at times.
    To be more precise, you are on GMT during winter and BST during summer. They are separate timezones, between which you switch back and forth. The same applies to EST and EDT in the U.S.

In any case, the point was to clarify and correct the mistake, not to disparage the one who made it. However, I will note that while it is indeed an easy mistake to make, making it twice in a row is a different matter.

As for giving London/New York Time, that's fine, though I think that it also should have been stated as 2200 UTC. Considering that most people remember their timezones as offsets from UTC (=GMT), it is much more convenient for many people to have it in this form rather than having to look up the specifics of London or New York's current timezone.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2009
    Because, if people turn up an hour late to a meeting which runs for several hours and rambles all over, it's a really big deal.
    In any case, the point was to clarify and correct the mistake, not to disparage the one who made it. However, I will note that while it is indeed an easy mistake to make, making it twice in a row is a different matter.
    So.. it has come to this.. *Draws sword*. For honor.
  • but it's a very easy mistake to make
    Butbut... It's freakishly warm and the daylight hours are endless. It's not that hard to look outside, realize your balls fell off because it's hot and thus summer time. Unless you live in Australia where ones' balls always are on the brink of bailing due to heat. Also, we're geeks, strange obsessions with clocks should be a requirement.
    So... it has come to this... *Draws sword*. For honour.
    You're a Brit! So if you speak of honour, slap him with a glove first.

GET YOUR POP CORN HERE! TWO BUCKS A POP!
  • So...it has come to this...*Draws sword*. For honour.
    You're a Brit! So if you speak of honour, slap him with a glove first.
    I take it, the < colour> tag wasn't working.
    edited July 2009
    I take it, the < colour> tag wasn't working.
    Any tag starting with a space won't work. Besides, I've been using the insert (and delete) tags for quite some while now over the colouring methods of yore. Now go you, be a proper gentleman and slap your foe in the face with your silken left hand glove, or right hand glove if you are an infidel lefty.
    Post edited by ... on