This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sarah Palin saves Alaska, Maybe the World

edited July 2009 in Politics
I'm sure everyone's seen by now that Sarah Palin has said she will not seek re-election as Alaska's governor and as a result(?) will resign the office this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tnUvtjaaY

It'll be interesting to find the real reason - political scandal about to be revealed, prepping for a 2012 presidential run, job at FOX, mental breakdown, God's way of apologizing, etc...

Comments

• It's absolutely bizarre that she didn't provide a solid, believable reason she's stepping down. If she plans to run for president in 2012, she's being silly. I feel like she owes her state - especially her fans and supporters - some answers.
  • Maybe she just now realized that she's the brunt of the joke.
  • An interesting bit of speculation I heard was that she might be preggers again.
  • edited July 2009
    An interesting bit of speculation I heard was that she might be preggers again.
    Which raises a very interesting and flame war-worthy question: Should women of child-bearing age be allowed to be president?

The politically correct answer is yes. But can a woman who becomes pregnant also deal with the stress attendant to the highest office in the land? And if she is able, then should she be allowed to, considering that it could have dire consequences for the fetus? What happens when a president has morning sickness all over the ambassador from Iran? Does the Constitution provide for a hand-over of power to the VP if the president goes into labor? What about the hormonal imbalances that occur during pregnancy -- would the resulting mood swings have negative diplomatic repercussions? Should a president be allowed to take maternity leave?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Is there any precedent for a president having a child in office? Either male or female, having kids and running a country are not best combined.
  • Does the Constitution provide for a hand-over of power to the VP if the president goes into labor?
    Yes, it would be handled like any other time a President has to have surgery, they sign something that temporarially makes the VP President while they are under medication. If there is no VP then the power is temporarially given to Speaker of the House, etc.
  • Which raises a very interesting and flame war-worthy question: Should women of child-bearing age be allowed to be president?

The politically correct answer is yes. But can a woman who becomes pregnant also deal with the stress attendant to the highest office in the land? And if she is able, then should she be allowed to, considering that it could have dire consequences for the fetus? What happens when a president has morning sickness all over the ambassador from Iran? Does the Constitution provide for a hand-over of power to the VP if the president goes into labor? What about the hormonal imbalances that occur during pregnancy -- would the resulting mood swings have negative diplomatic repercussions? Should a president be allowed to take maternity leave?
    Hormonal imbalances and medical conditions are not unique to pregnant women. In fact, a big deal was made regarding McCain's age and health in the last election, and Cheney had his heart issue(the lack of... yuck yuck). I think the underlying solution is to never have an office position, even the presidency, which isn't flexible enough to just replace the current schmuck. Actually, I think the reality is that this is how it's set up for the most part, but the public perception still places too much importance on the man or woman.

I'm for allowing anyone to be elected president: pregnant women, old geezers, felons, children and foreign born citizens. Let the people decide. Granted, the people are not necessarily going to make good decisions, but at least we'll get the government we truly deserve. Palin/Limbaugh 2012.
  • The guy CNN just interviewed speculated that Palin is quitting simply because she doesn't want to do her job anymore. She's getting large amounts of criticism from Alaskan media and she has very little support in Alaskan legislature, so she can't get much done. Apparently she got frustrated and gave up. Interesting bit of speculation.

But here's the rumor I'd rather spread (and just made up). Palin got preggers then got an abortion and cut a deal with the (liberal) abortion doctor that he wouldn't tell anyone about the abortion if she would step down as governor.

Better story, no?
  • More dramatic if nothing else. However, I find your use of the word "preggers" a bit of poor taste.
  • The doctor wouldn't be able to tell anyone anyway, due to doctor-patient privilege.
  • Ah, but Palin didn't realise this.
  • edited July 2009
    Here are the rumors and speculation I have heard, please note that these may be complete bull:

1) Someone found evidence to support the rumor that Trig is actually Bristol's first child, making Sarah Palin his grandmother, not his mother. This is kinda funny in a "you are a giant hypocrite" way, but I honestly think it is weird that anyone would care.

2) There is a federal embezzlement charge that is about to come down.

3) She got an offer for a ton of money in the private sector, specifically with the Christian Coalition.

4) That she decided she wanted to help other republicans by campaigning for them, whether they want her to or not.

5) That Todd Palin was tired of being Mr. Sarah Palin and wants her to have another kid (I think this is unlikely. Since she became Governor he received many high paying jobs that he has no qualifications for and just so happen to provide for plentiful vacations during snowmobile season.)
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It's probably 2,3 or 4 of these. Though I wouldn't be surprised it it's 3 and 4 combined.