This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Street Fighter 4 - Pure Love

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
So. Now that SF4 has been released on consoles, who here owns the game? I say we all gather together, start our own Fight Club, and kick each other's asses on the streets.

I have the game for the PS3, by the way.

Comments

• I'll get it on the PC when it comes out.
  • I would get if if I had an XBox or PS3. However, it's not worth getting one of those just to play this game.
  • Oh good someone else with it on PS3, everyone I know has it on Xbox 360. The only reason I didn't is 'cause I have a PS3 joystick, and not a 360 one.

But yeah the game is pretty awesome fun. I look forward to getting my ass handed to me by RIT's fighter game community next quarter.
  • Well, once I get this game, I suppose it'd be about time for me to get Xbox Live. >__>
  • I have it on 360. It's really really good; I am, however, not yet really good at it.
  • edited February 2009
    I heard the AI was a bit dodgy but that's probably not so much of a problem in this age of online play.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I would own sf4 if it weren't for the facts that I don't have the money to spend on a decent arcade stick, and nobody I know actually has the game so multiplayer would be pretty limited.
  • I heard the AI was a bit dodgy but that's probably not so much of a problem in this age of online play.
    It's as dodgy as it always is. Fighting a real person is very different from fighting the AI (mostly 'cause it cheats still... at least Seth does.)
  • Seth is a bitch, yeah, but I always felt as if I deserved every loss I had with him. Also, Kiey. We need to share our PSN ID's, dude!

Mine is VentureJ.
  • Seth is a bitch, yeah, but I always felt as if I deserved every loss I had with him. Also, Kiey. We need to share our PSN ID's, dude!
    Mine is VentureJ.
    Yeah, its just every once in a while it feels like his moves are cheating. Mainly the Ultra.

And my ID is Kiey.
  • So, anyone else playing on PC? I'm Funfetus on GFWLive.

I'm no expert on fighting games, but I've always loved me some Street Fighter, and I think this is a great game. Dammit, now I'm thinking about building a fight stick.
  • I have it on the PS3 and I am chronocross_xp
    I suck by the way, I need more training.
  • Play me on the 360 if you wish to be broken.
  • Play me on the 360 if you wish to be broken.
    I'm down for being broken. Unfortunately, they somehow managed to not have cross-platform play between 360 and PC. I don't really understand the technical issues, but it seems like it wouldn't be that hard. Other games do it. Come on, Capcom.
  • Im starting up on the PC. J Rage 9000.
  • On the 360, I am TheRocketHammer. I really want to play some more people I know!
  • On the 360, I am TheRocketHammer. I really want to play some more people I know!
    Once I get new coaxial cables and SFIV, I will try and pwn you as I'm either Dan or Ryu all the time. I am good with Dan and that is not a joke nor a sarcastic statement at all.
  • Once I get new coaxial cables and SFIV, I will try and pwn you as I'm either Dan or Ryu all the time. I am good with Dan and that is not a joke nor a sarcastic statement at all.
    Quiet possible, this is probably the first game where Dan is not horribly underpowered. (I pray that in the next iteration they give Dan a little more priority and damage to his moves to make him viable in tournament play. Seeing a pro Dan winning large events would bring a tear to my eye.) Generally speaking the spread between the best and worst characters in this game is relatively small. For a fighting game it's very impressive how balanced it is.
  • Dan is actually mid-to-high tier, especially since his Ultra/Super is incredibly combo-able.
  • Ken only, no items, Final Destination.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    Ken only, no items, Final Destination.
    lol
    Once I get new coaxial cables and SFIV, I will try and pwn you as I'm either Dan or Ryu all the time. I am good with Dan and that is not a joke nor a sarcastic statement at all.
    Quiet possible, this is probably the first game where Dan is not horribly underpowered. (I pray that in the next iteration they give Dan a little more priority and damage to his moves to make him viable in tournament play. Seeing a pro Dan winning large events would bring a tear to my eye.) Generally speaking the spread between the best and worst characters in this game is relatively small. For a fighting game it's very impressive how balanced it is.
    It's good someone agrees with me as I'm always ostracized and no one will take a chance on me just cause I mention I play with Dan. By the way, is his name pronounced "Dah-n" or how someone normally says Dan?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • JayJay
    edited July 2009
    For anyone that wants to pick up an affordable arcade stick for their PC (or 360) Amazon is selling the Hori Fighting Stick EX2 for 60. Or the Hori PS3 Fighting Stick for 45. This is probably the best stick you can get new for that price range. If it is still too much then look for this stick used on Craigslist or the like. Hori's are fairly durable and should still be usable after a year or two of wear and tear. DO NOT get any madcatz stick's used (or even new) they wear down incredibly fast.

One last detail, the stick has a square gate instead of an octagon. (So instead of a quarter circle for a fireball you sorta do a quarter square) This takes a little getting used to but you can play fighting games on it just fine. Also, very helpful with charge characters ;).

Double last detail, if you trade in Mario Kart for the wii with wheel at Gamestop/EB it's exchange value is ridiculously high. (I got 40 Canadian for it. Bought it 2 years ago new for 55 including tax) EB/Gamestop may carry the EX 2 fighting stick or a Soul Caliber/Tekken equivalent. They're all Hori and all basically the same stick.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • edited July 2009
    More like "Ranked, any fighter, training stage"

Seriously, online can lag like hell, so the performance is only as good as the weakest PC. And a funny note, Capcom's last cross platform LIVE game was Lost Planet: Colonies Edition.

The fightpad takes some getting use to, it's slightly bigger than I thought. I'm also too use to using the 360's analog stick for fighters.

(Stupid plug: Wanna get an easy victory on the PC Version? Look for KnightsofAvalon. Yeah, I'm horrible at the game.)
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • JayJay
    edited July 2009
    The fightpad takes some getting use to, it's slightly bigger than I thought. I'm also too use to using the 360's analog stick for fighters.
    Edit* I'm not a PS3 user I did not realize the fight pad was an arcade stick set up with a d-pad. Wow, that looks awkward to use.

Same here I used a gamepad for a while playing console fighters so now I've completely lost the muscle memory for an arcade stick. I've heard people say it takes about 2 weeks to switch over fully if you go into practice mode for a little bit each day. Stick it out though it's worth it. Sticks (and apparently the fight pad) allow you to exploit things like piano playing. They also give you access to all the buttons with your hand instead of your thumb and a trigger finger. In theory you can be just as good with a gamepad as you can with a arcade stick, but a stick makes it allot easier.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Interesting. I was interested in the arcade stick simply for the face button placement, not so much the stick itself (having always been more of a console gamer than an arcade one, I'm more used to D-Pads.) So I decided to go with the Fight Pad for the PS3, and it feels a little cheap, and the D-Pad always feels sorta loose. So that has led me to start considering an arcade stick again... does anyone recommend that Hori stick that Jay linked to?

Oh, I'm ColombianShadow on PSN if anyone's down for a game :-)
  • Fuck it. I just broke down and ordered a Hori Real Arcade Pro.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah Jay, it definitely felt like an arcade stick on a D-Pad, but it isn't all that bad, because the stick felt "short and low" if you know what I mean. It's relatively simple to piano play on it too, since the face has six buttons and it feels pretty smooth to pull off (of course, since I'm an amateur to these advance techniques, it took some getting use to). The controller also is good for the more retro games, especially the ones that only recognize the Left Stick for movement. Actually, this experience reminds me when I first used a Genesis controller, it's so huge and almost unwieldy, especially coming from the smaller NES and SNES controllers, but I eventually got use to it. Never ever used a Saturn pad, but I guess this is the closest I'll ever get.

Also, as a demented plan (funny thing, I heard it from a Capcom Unity blog entry), get the Street Fighter IV Mad Catz Bundle, and sell the controller for big bucks on eBay. Do the math, you might end up with a free game. (In case some didn't notice, yeah, I bought this bundle.)
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • JayJay
    edited July 2009
    Fuck it. I just broke down and ordered a Hori Real Arcade Pro.
    Hori Pro is a good stick for that price point. Just don't spend more then about 200 for a off the shelf stick. At that amount you start getting into prices where you could get a custom stick made by a local hobby store.
    So that has led me to start considering an arcade stick again... does anyone recommend that Hori stick that Jay linked to?
    I hate to comment on my own recommendations but it doesn't appear anyone else much cares about the finer details of arcade sticks. Hori is a well established maker of arcade sticks and generally any product they produce now is high quality for the pricepoint. Even their lowest end products (the two arcade sticks I linked too) are good sticks comparable to arcade sticks made by their major competitor, madcatz, for near twice the price. The best player in SF IV I know uses what is essentially a Hori EX2 in a custom cabinet. If this is going to be your first exposure to an arcade stick the Hori is the safest bet. If you hate it you can wait till they sell out on amazon and turn around and sell it for a equal to higher price then you bought it for.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Hori Pro is a good stick for that price point. Just don't spend more then about 200 for a off the shelf stick. At that amount you start getting into prices where you could get a custom stick made by a local hobby store.
    Good to know. At $130, the HRAP is a lot more than I ever expected to spend for a game controller, as a pretty casual player. But I figured if you're going to spend money, may as well get something good. The only criticism I've seen of it is of the buttons, and I know they're easily replaceable if I'm not happy with them.
    One last detail, the stick has a square gate instead of an octagon. (So instead of a quarter circle for a fireball you sorta do a quarter square)
    Not having used one yet, I don't really know, but what I've been reading says that you shouldn't really be banging it into the gate -- you just learn to do the fireball/dp/etc. motions in a smaller movement range, without touching the sides.
  • JayJay
    edited July 2009
    One last detail, the stick has a square gate instead of an octagon. (So instead of a quarter circle for a fireball you sorta do a quarter square)
    Not having used one yet, I don't really know, but what I've been reading says that you shouldn't really be banging it into the gate -- you just learn to do the fireball/dp/etc. motions in a smaller movement range, without touching the sides.
    Hmm, I just picked my stick up. I never realized I don't actually touch the corner when I do a quarter circle. I do go deeper into the corner then I could with an octagon gate though. I also tap the edges when I start and stop motions. Probably don't have too, just the way I trained myself so when I feel the resistance I know for sure where the stick is. The only time I touch corners is when exploiting the Shoryuken shortcut.

The main reason I mention the square gate though is that people may buy the stick expecting to be able to "roll" across the edge. Which with a Hori you can not.
    Post edited by Jay on