This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Changes at Instructables

edited July 2009 in Technology
I was checking out Instructables for a recipe on ramen and when I went to get the instructions to print out, it told me I'd have to become a pro member, the minimum cost for witch was $8.85 for a quarter.

Now, apart from the price seeming to alienate people who just grab the odd instructable to print out. What are your thoughts on making money on content your users gave to you if they initially thought it was to be shared freely? This leads to the question; Did users share how-tos with free distribution in mind?

Edit: What do people think about making a relatively core feature pay only, even to contributors?

Can any comparison be drawn to crunchyroll? Does anyone have a pro account? If so: What do you think? Do you use it much?

Comments

• Dude chill, all you need is an account, not a pro one.
  • I have the free account already.
  • edited July 2009
    Then log in, because I just downloaded the PDF and I have a free account.

Hmmm... this is weird, I have a free account and I'm able to see the whole instructable and download the custom PDF's, but those are features of the pro accounts as you pointed out.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited July 2009
    Is anyone else able to get PDFs? I'm logged in and I get a popup telling me to upgrade.
    Also, @MrRobot could you email it to me?

Here's the announcement relating to this.

Might be the difference in locations.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited July 2009
    I can also download it. Where are you Omnutia?

This is a pretty great recipe, by the way. I used it to make ramen a couple months ago and it was delicious.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited July 2009
    I'm in the UK of GB and NI.

I probably sounded a bit "OMGs! Twas free but now I gots to pay monies!!1 Archibald!" but what I find most worrying is that a site like this can lock down other people's content without letting them decide and do so after the content has already been submitted.

Edit: @Gunter: What did you add to it?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited July 2009
    Edit: @Gunter: What did you add to it?
    Broccoli, corn and chopped baby carrots.
    Post edited by Walker on