This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Excellent Drawing Resources

edited July 2009 in Art!
I figured I'd start up a thread for the best drawing tutorials and whatnot from around the web. These are the ones that jump right out at me -- I know there are other excellent resources out there, and I'll be adding more as I remember/find them. I really hope that everyone else who has something will post it -- this isn't entirely altruistic. :)

Andrew Loomis's books
Andrew Loomis was a classic American illustrator who wrote a bunch of friggin' BIBLES on how to draw and paint. These books are pure gold, and since they've been out of print for decades, I think they're fair game for downloading. They all deal specifically with drawing except for Creative Illustration and Eye of the Painter, which are more general. EDIT: Link's dead, but they're not hard to find if you google.

Thumb War
This is a concept artist's tutorial on thumbnailing during the design process, but there's excellent stuff in there to apply to any kind of drawing -- especially the stuff about "your brain as a 3D modeler", and the stuff about "detail sniping". Be careful if you poke around the rest of the site, though, because there's some stuff that's INTENSELY NSFW.

John K's $100,000 Animation Course
John K (creator of Ren and Stimpy) has an excellent blog where he's been incredibly gracious in sharing his knowledge. This series of articles, despite the title, is less about animation and more about solid drawing fundamentals. It's based on Preston Blair's classic animation book. John K's articles on composition are also excellent, as are his "Backgrounds, Layout and Style" posts. Really, the whole thing is amazing, though some of it is probably only really interesting to animation students, or fans of classic American animation.

PSG7
I know Mankoon has posted this link before, but since we're consolidating here, this is an excellent one. It's mostly focused on digital painting, which I'm avoiding here, but there is some excellent basic drawing advice, mostly toward the end.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Thumb War looks interesting but very difficult to sit down and read through. The format is confusing/distracting. *edit* Actually, the problem is the black text on a grey background with humongous mostly-white pictures. Hard to focus on the text. Recommend people fiddle with their browser CSS or something.

James Gurney (the Dinotopia guy) keeps a fascinating blog. It updates with ridiculous frequency and covers everything from oldschool art tools to fundamental drawing/painting/all-art-ever tips and random stuff he thinks is interesting. The guy is some sort of genius.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • Broken Record
    Hah, that's awesome. Is that from somewhere, or did you draw it? The zooming in on the faces is hilarious.
    Thumb War looks interesting but very difficult to sit down and read through. The format is confusing/distracting.
    I see what you mean. It's really worth it, though, even if you can't figure out some way to make it easier to read. There's some great stuff in there. Also, thanks for the James Gurney blog link -- the last post right now is a great one about cast shadows. Subscribed, and I'm gonna have to go through the whole archives!

I just remembered a couple more good resources:

Posemaniacs
    I know this has been posted on the forum before. 3D figures sans skin (I like to call them "Hellraisers") will pose for you in 30-second increments. Good for practicing getting your quick gestures down when you don't have access to a model. However, I don't recommend trying to study anatomy from it. The distortions at the joint will screw you all up. For that, there's...

Visible Body
    This is an INCREDIBLY detailed 3D model of the human body with skeleton, muscular system, nervous system, and everything. As artists, we're mostly only interested in bones and muscles. But it's got all of them, and you can focus on any individual bone or muscle, and hide any of them, to get a better look at what you want to see. It's an amazing way to get deep in there and see how everything fits together. Unfortunately, it's now a pay service. You can check out the head for free, though, and they've got a free trial. Maybe you can set aside a week or something (I don't know how long the trial is) and do some SERIOUS anatomy study.
  • Hah, that's awesome. Is that from somewhere, or did you draw it? The zooming in on the faces is hilarious.
    I can't even draw a convincing stick figure. :< Source is 4chan. It's the two board-tans for the art boards, Oekaki and Artwork/Critique, or /i/ and d/ic/k.
  • I can't even draw a convincing stick figure. :< Source is 4chan. It's the two board-tans for the art boards, Oekaki and Artwork/Critique, or /i/ and d/ic/k.
    Aaaaah. Interesting. Did you put the "Loomis" in there, or was it already like that?
    edited July 2009
    Aaaaah. Interesting. Did you put the "Loomis" in there, or was it already like that?
    And do work, defacing an hilarious comic? Nah, it's original.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Hah, that's awesome. Is that from somewhere, or did you draw it? The zooming in on the faces is hilarious.
    I can't even draw a convincing stick figure. :< Source is 4chan. It's the two board-tans for the art boards, Oekaki and Artwork/Critique, or /i/ and d/ic/k.
    Did you arranged it to spell dick on purpose?
  • Characterdesigns.com: tons of photosets (mostly nude females, some costumed, but all tasteful) for you to draw from and study. The tutorials section has some great stuff, too.
  • Rad How To: Rad Sechrist, storyboard artist at Dreamworks, drops tons of amazing, fundamental drawing knowledge.
  • Thanks again! You always post such helpful stuff! I just randomly found Thumbwar again on my own a few weeks ago and I spent a long time looking through his advice.
  • Earlier, I mentioned Visible Body, which is an amazing 3D anatomy website -- unfortunately, it's not free. I just found BoneLab, though, which is free, and basically the same thing, only just for the skeleton. Learning the skeleton is incredibly important -- maybe more important than the muscles -- so it's still a great resource.