This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why Do You Go to Cons?

edited July 2009 in Conventions
After attending Otakon this year, I've realized that every person I've met seems to have a specific focus for what they want to do at a convention. Some people are really focused on the cosplay, others are really interested in panels/guest speakers. I'm curious to know what all of your interests are. I met a guy who came to the con for the specific purpose of being in the Masquerade.

Personally, I go for a little of everything. I never really plan to see any panels; everything I do is really on whim, yet there are some specific things I always have in mind. I always want to meet some new artists in the alley, yet I know some people who don't even bother checking the alley out. So forum friends, why do you go to conventions?

Comments

• I used to go mostly for the dealers room until I realized that everything is cheaper on the interwebs, then I started cosplaying. Cosplaying anywhere else (unless it's Halloween) tends to be very problematic, so cons are the only place I can do it at. Now I go for a combination of cosplaying, seeing and hanging out internet friends, and panels (I went to a few here and there in past years, but this year I went to them in force).
  • I've been going to Animazement for years and years, and I originally went just to hang out with people. I still go primarily to hang out, because it's something that most of my good friends are involved in so it gets together a lot of people I really love. Cosplay is another big reason, though. As Li said, it's kind of out of place anywhere but conventions and Halloween, so I take the opportunity to make several new costumes for each con I go to. The dealer's room is nice (Otakon's was kind of sensory overload for me so I didn't end up buying anything), but I also really enjoy the Artist Alley. It's always cool to see what other people are doing art-wise.
    All that said, I generally don't go to panels when I go to Animazement. I ended up going to several at Otakon and very much enjoyed all of them.
  • My reasons for going to cons changed a lot. At first it was because I didn't know many anime fans and it was new and awesome. I got to know about more anime and things in fandom. Then as I got older I wanted to do more than just go to panels and hang out with the same people. I started volunteering at cons and doing panels. Because I like bringing fun. Plus, it's fun to do! Also, due to the internet and doing things at cons I met so many new friends to hang with. Then those became the main reasons for con going.

• To do panels and hang out with my friends.
  • edited July 2009
    @ Li and Anrild
    I agree with the cosplay. I like doing it because it's a chance to be something crazy, after all, standing out is fitting in at Otakon. Tbh, I would love to wear cute lolita outfits every day, but that's not really practical... XD

@ Viga
    My reasons seem to change a lot too. :) I find that different years I'll want to do different things. Last year was more about meeting people for me, as opposed to this year, which was more cosplay oriented.
    Post edited by bunnikun on
  • Tbh, I would love to wear cute lolita outfits every day, but that's not really practical... XD
    Ha, yeah, I'd dress like Card Captor Sakura everyday, but that's DEFINITELY not practical.
  • Ha, yeah, I'd dress like Card Captor Sakura everyday, but that's DEFINITELY not practical.
    Neither is my takes-20-minutes-to-put-on Link costume.
  • Ha, yeah, I'd dress like Card Captor Sakura everyday, but that's DEFINITELY not practical.
    Neither is my takes-20-minutes-to-put-on Link costume.
    Neither is walking up stairs in a dress with 8 layers of tulle.

Actually, now that I think about it, cosplay in general isn't practical. Makes me wonder how any super-cat-girl could actually fight villains in high heels and an immobile dress.
  • I originally started going to cons to go to the dealer's room, and to go to panels and whatnot. Eventually I started going to sell art/promote whatever webcomic I was working on. Now I go to hang out with friends I made doing webcomics and going to cons, as well as help them out at their booths.
  • My first con I ever went to I was a staffer running a few of the games and contests. Then I went to Anime Expo, and most of my time was spent hanging out with friends, playing Ninja, and DJ-ing for crowd power. I realize that the biggest reason I have for going to cons is being a crowd pleaser and hanging with friends.
  • I've been to the last two Otakons as a way to spend time with my son doing something we both enjoy. Otakon is especially nice since we live so close to Balmer. Steen is a budding geek (8-almost-9), and the con is a chance to see the larger anime world. This year, he told me that he was into mecha. I think the Pokemon are losing their grip, which is fine.

We tried a little bit of everything this year. We spent all day Saturday at BCC: started in the videogame room, moved on to watching some of the AMV overflow, then the dealers room to look for a bit, more video, then Rym & Scott's "Cover your bases" panel. Rym & Scott remembered Steen from a visit to their Artist's Alley table last year, and Rym greeted him and shook his hand after the panel. Steen (and his dad) thought that was a cool gesture. Steen's Dealer's Room booty was a Gundam model kit (Arche Gundam), which we spent some of yesterday assembling.

Anime, and geekery in general, is a wonderful source of father-son bonding for us. I look forward to that continuing.
  • Steen's Dealer's Room booty was a Gundam model kit (Arche Gundam), which we spent some of yesterday assembling.
    Gundam modeling is making a big comeback. I saw it at Anime Boston, and I saw it build up even more at Otakon.
  • edited July 2009
    Steen's Dealer's Room booty was a Gundam model kit (Arche Gundam), which we spent some of yesterday assembling.
    Gundam modeling is making a big comeback. I saw it at Anime Boston, and I saw it build up even more at Otakon.
    Well, every time I have hit Tokyo Toys in the last Year or so, they have had a huge stock them. But not so at conventions. What I really want to see are some more Code Geass models,
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Steen's Dealer's Room booty was a Gundam model kit (Arche Gundam), which we spent some of yesterday assembling.
    Yeah I picked up a Gundam model at Otakon. I'd been meaning to get back into it so I figured I'd try and pick up a cool one at Otakon since there are usually some good model vendors there. I ended up picking up the Sinanju.
    I got a Gundam Exia Repair II and just finished building it.
  • A Otakon I just bought the 1/100 MG Freedom Gundam extra finish edition for $50 at the bluefin booth. Pretty good compared to $80 from HLJ. I also bought this Mazinger Z with working Rocket Punch!

Since we're not doing any shows this week, so I might do a robot-building UStream. Are people interested?
  • Since we're not doing any shows this week, so I might do a robot-building UStream. Are people interested?
    Yes! I took pictures of every step of building my Exia and put them on my Facebook, but your way is far better.
  • Since we're not doing any shows this week, so I might do a robot-building UStream. Are people interested?
    That could be much fun, yes.
    Yes! I took pictures of every step of building my Exia and put them on my Facebook, but your way is far better.
    I think I might do that when I build mine, which means I'll have to wait until I have my camera to build it.
  • I'm up for it. Maybe I will finish my Gurren Lagann while watching.
  • My reasons for going to my first con ever were that I liked anime and video games and wanted to see what this convention thing was all about. It was very convenient that the convention (Colossalcon 06) was 20 minutes from my house, at most.
    Around that time I was most interested in the Dealers Rooms and looking at cosplays and shit like that.

Now it's at the point that I just go to hang out, play video games, go to the raves, and maybe go to some panels.
  • A Otakon I just bought the1/100 MG Freedom Gundam extra finish editionfor $50 at the bluefin booth. Pretty good compared to $80 from HLJ. I also bought thisMazinger Zwith working Rocket Punch!

Since we're not doing any shows this week, so I might do a robot-building UStream. Are people interested?
    Are you going to do another one?
  • edited July 2009
    Are you going to do another one?
    Another stream or another robot? I just did another stream just now. I'll probably do them all this week until the robot is done. You gotta watch the tweets.

As for another robot, probably not.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Lately, I've been wandering the Artist Alleys more and more. I've also taken more pictures of cosplayers and I've tried to get better at choosing good angles, and leading the subject good poses. I don't have a great camera, but I try.
    I rarely step foot in the game room. I don't play too many video games at home, and I will generally not be able to hold my own too well. I'd rather sit with friends I haven't seen for a while and play some Apples to Apples or some other card/board game.
    I'm also looking more at how things are done; what works, what fails. Taking notes to pass along and 'steal' for the con I work on.
  • The people. It's all about the people man. You'll meet some of the greatest people in the world at some of these conventions, and everyone there loves the same stuff you do. It's beautiful. You meet people from the internet, the industry, and from fandom. The panels are great, the stuff you can buy is often one-of-a-kind-can't-be-found-anywhere-else-stuff and just...yeah. I think you get the idea. I love cons, if nothing more, than just interacting with people. And you might get to meet super cool podcast celebrities like Rym and Scott...:-)
  • For me it has always just been fun getaways with friends. If we went anywhere, it would be a blast. My friends just happened to go to cons, so I went with them.
  • Back in the day (mid-late 90's) we went to cons to see anime we'd never seen or heard of or sometimes to see a show we were desperately looking for. It was also to purchase videos since a majority of stores that carry the stuff now (Boarders, Suncoast, etc.) had nothing of note. The dealers rooms were also the only place you could affordably get things like artbooks, wall scrolls, toys, models, etc. if you didn't have a niche store near you. Basically, cons were the only way for average fans to get 'stuff'.

In the late 90's, early 00's I started going to show my work at artist's alley. Back then it was very, very small. Probably seven tables at most and on a 'whoever sat there first' sort of deal. Often artists only payed for spots on rare occasions, and only famous artists or guest artists were reserved space. I actually broke even at two Otacons because the alley was so small. Now they generally rival the dealer's rooms in size, and it can be difficult for new artists to get noticed.

Most recently, I was going to be with friends and to help run panels and events. For me, though, I've run out of things to do that interest me at the conventions. The concerts are often bands I don't care about (exception for TMR), the dealer's room only rarely sells things I want at prices I can't get elsewhere(All of Slayers TV for $80? Yes please!), any anime I really want to see I can download before it hits the states, I've never liked the masquerade, costumes have gotten very samey or unrelated to anime/Japanese games and were never a big draw for me, the artist alley's are often giant and impersonal and I feel like I get lost in the mass of other very talented artists, and I often ended up with nothing to do after helping fiends run their stuff and hanging out a bit. Cons really don't hold anything for me anymore, sadly.
  • edited July 2009
    In the late 90's, early 00's I started going to show my work at artist's alley. Back then it was very, very small. Probably seven tables at most and on a 'whoever sat there first' sort of deal. Often artists only payed for spots on rare occasions, and only famous artists or guest artists were reserved space. I actually broke even at two Otacons because the alley was so small. Now they generally rival the dealer's rooms in size, and it can be difficult for new artists to get noticed.
    But it's so much more awesome! The artist alley is the only thing I find really interesting at cons these days, because you can meet all sorts of cool concept artists and comic authors, both amateur and pro. My weeaboo days of wanting to buy all sorts of official merchandise are over, so the dealers room is kind of *shrug* but the alley always has some cool craft stuff I really like (like my new, handmade Boo DS case!) Sometimes cons make me depressed, because it is just too high a concentration of loud, shouting, crazy people, and it makes me want to go back to Japan where the geekery is there, but more spread out with normal stuff. Cons are sometimes just too high test for me. However, if I drink enough water and eat food, I enjoy myself. I just get dehydrated and cranky, and that's when the sensory overload is at its worst.

Basically, I go because my friends go, and because there are a ton of cool art people there.
    Also the concerts. I love concerts, and I am always happy to go see whatever musical act Otakon has on the schedule.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • (like my new, handmade Boo DS case!)
    Pics so I can know what I somehow missed and hate myself for it! Please?
  • (like my new, handmade Boo DS case!)
    Pics so I can know what I somehow missed and hate myself for it! Please?
    Yes, I concur. Pics or it didn't happen.
    Also, I probably could've afforded it if I had seen it, and so knowing that I missed it makes me angry...