This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2009

edited March 2009 in Conventions
I have determined that my interests would be better served going to Connecticon this year instead of Otakon. I'm a huge webcomic geek, and have been looking to C-con for the past few years as somewhere to go. This year I'm going to make it to Hartford.

I'll be buying my pre-reg this weekend, and looking into getting a hotel room as soon as I can. Whether I'll fly/drive/greyhound from Kansas is still undecided.

Comments

• While Connecticon is cool, and all, it's a relatively small con. Making such a big trip for it is really kind of silly.

Think of it like this. If someone flies across the country to go to Disney World, that makes sense because it is such a huge park, and there aren't many others like it. If someone flies across the country to go to a water park with three slides, that's really silly because you can go to a park of that size almost anywhere. Now, there's nothing wrong with the tree slide park. It's just that it's not worth that much effort.
  • I'm fine with traveling for smaller cons. I've driven four hours each way to go to a con I attended a single day. I got to meet some cool people, and I very much enjoyed myself. I've been thinking about going to Connecticon since I first heard about it in 2004. I went to Otakon that year instead. That was the last time I've been in New England.

The draw of Connecticon for me is the webcomic guests and programming. At the smaller convention, I'm likely to see more of the creators. If I had the free time to go to Webcomic Weekend or MoCCA instead, I totally would. They would be perfect for my interests. The fact that C-con is at the end of July means I will be free to travel. And it's cheaper than San Diego Comic Con would be.

Or do you just not want me to go? Ha- have I hurt your feelings in some way, Scott? I'm sorry. Whatever it was. Q_Q
  • edited March 2009
    That's not that good of an analogy, Scott. It's assuming that all small cons are the same and/or are shitty. Just because a con is small doesn't mean it's not unique.

Plus, who knows if there are any good cons in the area (and looking at animecons.com, there are none in Kansas)? What if he has friends going to Connecticon? What if he needs to cut funds (making a long trip wouldn't help that, but it's a perk of small cons nonetheless)? What if this con is at a better time of the year than other cons he has a chance to go to (which is a point he just addressed above this post...)? What if there are guests/bands at this con that aren't at other cons?

I really think you and Rym need to cut it out with the "small cons = shit" mindset.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • What the fuck people? I specifically said small cons aren't shit. Connecticon is pretty great. It's just not worth going halfway across the country for. Also, I'm positive there is at least one con in Kansas City.

Also, Otakon isn't in New England.
  • Plus, who knows if there are any good cons in the area (and looking at animecons.com, there are none in Kansas)?
    Actually there are a few. I've gone to Anime Fest Wichita once, and that was enough for me. I'm also helping run Naka-kon in Kansas City, though it's technically been in Missouri since 2007. Yeah, our very original motto that year was "We're not in Kansas anymore!"
    I think we're a good con. Growing steadily since 2005 and hoping to crack 3,000 this year. We even have the LeetStreet Boys coming to perform. [End Shameless self-promotion]
    Still. Thanks, Dkong. I happen to like my cons on the small to mid-range size. Seeing the same faces more than once leads to better connections.
  • Scott, you're overlooking the fact that webcomic cons are not all over the freaking country. Sure, perhaps 3 slide waterslide parks are all over the country, but what if the person wants to go to a 3 ride roller coaster park?
    I really think you and Rym need to cut it out with the "small cons = shit" mindset.
    It's not the mindset of "small cons = shit". It seems to me that it's more likely a mindset of "Too few eyes to look up at us!" ;)
  • To change the subject...

Didn't Rym say a while that GeekNights would be heading up panels this year (or something like it)? The website isn't updated about Events yet, but I'm wondering when the news will break.
  • I specifically said small cons aren't shit.
    Where? In this thread, all you said was:
    While Connecticon is cool, and all, it's a relatively small con.
    To me, that seems like you're putting it down because it's small.
    hoping to crack 3,000 this year.
    Lol, that's big for Ohio :D. Anime Punch is around 1000. Matsuricon is like...500. A&G; Ohio was definitely sub 1000. Colossalcon should be getting up to 3k this year. Ohayocon was up to like ~7k this year, which is actually not too bad.
    Seeing the same faces more than once leads to better connections.
    Sometimes it's creepy, though. But overall, yes. At all the conventions I go to, there are people I will meet up with and hang out with that I usually only see at cons. But at Matsuricon, me and my friend were like "Uh...maybe we should go to less cons this year? I don't think I've seen anyone new...." And so far this year we're probably cutting down a bit.
  • I think Scott's point is that, even if what the smaller con has to offer is high quality, there just won't be enough of it to justify the trip.
  • So, am I to assume that no one else here is planning a trip to Connecticon? I was hoping to wrangle up a roommate or two and the FRC forums seemed the best place to look for in quality.
  • It's about time we bumped this thread because all this Otakon talk is pissing me off, mostly because I'm not there.

The con book is now posted online here (warning: 50.8 MB PDF). There are a few things worth noting...
    Crab People
    Presenter: GeekNights
    Crab people. Look like crabs, but talk like people. Curious? So are we!
    Metal with Pete
    Pete like metal. You like metal. No you say? Wrong you be! ALL LIKE
    METAL! 80s, hair, nu, black, death, noise: many kinds of metal be! Come
    raise the horns with Pete the Viking, in an erudite and academic discussion
    of the greater societal ramifications of rocking out.
    Action Castle!
    What is Action Castle? That depends on you. Action Castle is a unique,
    interactive experience that really has to be seen to be understood. You,
    the audience, will determine whether or not you solve the mystery of
    Action Castle!
    Also of note: there is only one "How to talk to girls" panel this year. Last year there were five. XKCD, Ctrl+Alt+Del, and Explosm (Cyanide & Happiness) all have panels.

So who here going to ConnectiCon, other than our beloved hosts?
  • OK, really guys, you should've run that panel description by me first. Caveman talk? Seriously? I'd be insulted if I weren't busy being all dark and gloomy.
  • OK, really guys, you should've run that panel description by me first. Caveman talk? Seriously? I'd be insulted if I weren't busy being all dark and gloomy.
    Not to mention the failure to mention power and thrash metal. I didn't really mind the description. I laughed. I'll probably go; my only worry is that it might be a little late, as my parents are unlikely to be happy about my being in Hartford past 10PM.
    We told you that we had to have it together by Tuesday. You didn't give us anything. In fact, nobody has given us anything for their panels.
    We told you that we had to have it together by Tuesday. You didn't give us anything. In fact, nobody has given us anything for their panels.
    I've shared my slides on Google docs with you and Rym. You should've gotten the email saying as much.

You also told me that you had put a panel description together, but never showed me what it said. I asked to look at it, but never saw it until now.

It's all good, though.
  • If you guys need anymore panels to fill the room, Uncle Yo and I would be happy to run another panel (on top of his stand up routine and our mecha panel.)

Also, is anyone up for a game of Dread at Connecticon, I'm going to try and score the rule book before I leave.
  • Caveman talk? Seriously?
    Aww, come on. I warned you it was all Puerto Rico boardgame caveman talk. They were super tired when they wrote that.
  • Caveman talk? Seriously?
    Aww, come on. I warned you it was all Puerto Rico boardgame caveman talk. They were super tired when they wrote that.
    Well, I think you told me that after the descriptions were submitted, or around when they were being submitted. What had thrown me off was your post in the metal thread where you gave me a sample of the description, the part about "throwing up the horns for a cultured and erudite discussion about rocking out." I though that was the entirety of the description, or that the rest of it would be in a similar vein. My bad for not reading thoroughly. I can live with caveman talk.
  • I'm apparently going to be on a panel at Connecticon. My friend is doing a panel for his site Halolz and asked me to help him out with it.
  • ConnectiCon is less than a week away! Are we planning on having a meetup? What panels and events are people looking forward to? Something tells me I'll be spending a lot of time in Panel Room 5...
  • I'll come to any interesting panels or activities that are going on after the Dealer's Room is closed. A lot of the crew panels are interesting, but sadly I won't make it to most of them because of the whole Dealer's Booth thing. The trade-off is that I will hopefully be able to pay my rent this month.
  • ConnectiCon is less than a week away! Are we planning on having a meetup? What panels and events are people looking forward to? Something tells me I'll be spending a lot of time in Panel Room 5...
    At some point we should play a lot of board games/rpgs as well. I'd like to learn a lot of them since I've never really played them other than a brief game of Power Grid.
    At some point we should play a lot of board games/rpgs as well. I'd like to learn a lot of them since I've never really played them other than a brief game of Power Grid.
    The game room staff are very awesome. They have all the good games available. They will gladly teach you how to play any game you want, all you have to do is ask.
  • I plan to run some Burning Wheel demos, as well. Of course, if Luke himself is there, I will understandably be overshadowed. ^_^
  • I just looked at the schedule and the panel I'm going to be on is during Beyond D&D. I think I am never going to get to see this panel.
  • I just looked at the schedule and the panel I'm going to be on is during Beyond D&D.; I think I am never going to get to see this panel.
    You won't need do. Luke, Alex, and other people will be running BW and other RPGs all convention long. If you play in one of the demos, you will learn all our panel can teach.

Also, we'll try to video the panels and such for reals this time.
  • Also, we'll try to video the panels and such for reals this time.
    If not here, then definitely at PAX. We'll try to do both.
  • Also, we'll try to video the panels and such for reals this time.
    If not here, then definitely at PAX. We'll try to do both.
    You guys have a laptop with you during panels, right? Why not just live stream it?
  • Why not just live stream it?
    Internet access in convention centers is mostly either fail or expensive, and there's no way my EVDO card could handle that, especially through the walls. Also, most convention centers have rules in the contract about live streaming of anything. I've had to sign agreements in the past that we wouldn't do just that sort of thing.

There's a tiny chance we could do it, but the odds are in favor of no. We'll have to check on things Friday morning at the con.
  • You won't need do. Luke, Alex, and other people will be running BW and other RPGs all convention long. If you play in one of the demos, you will learn all our panel can teach.
    That will teach you the other systems, but I thought the why you want to use other systems was the best part of that panel.