This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buying Tezuka

edited October 2007 in Manga/Comics
I'm searching Chapters.ca (Barnes and Noble, Canada) and Appolo's Song caught my eye - Rym, as well as AWO's review have me interested enough to drop 15 on it... I've got limited cash flow temporarily so I want the CREAM OF THE CROP. I keep hearing about Phoenix, but isn't there an Anime coming out soon?

What's the scoop, folks?

Comments

• I started looking at some Tezuka stuff on Amazon as well after the anime day Q&A. I was mainly thinking of just getting Ode to Kirihito since its only one book (plus I remember hearing lots of good things about it.)
  • I recommend to get Phoenix, then Ode To Kirihito, then Apollo's song. And after that try to get Astro boy :P
  • Astro Boy doesn't interest me at all. Saw the cartoon as a kid a little, played the games... meh,
  • edited October 2007

Astro Boy doesn't interest me at all. Saw the cartoon as a kid a little, played the games... meh,

You don't watch/read Astro Boy because you like it. You watch/read it to learn something about comics and animation. It's the same reason you watch Citizen Kane even though it is hardly entertaining.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've got limited cash flow temporarily so I want the CREAM OF THE CROP.

Another time, perhaps. I don't want to waste my time with shit I won't enjoy - that's why I don't just watch anime - I go on yours, Fast Karate, and AWO's reviews. If it's not getting a good rap from you guys, I don't really bother.
  • Astro Boy doesn't interest me at all. Saw the cartoon as a kid a little, played the games... meh,

You don't watch/read Astro Boy because you like it. You watch/read it to learn something about comics and animation. It's the same reason you watch Citizen Kane even though it is hardly entertaining.
    I thought Citizen Kane was entertaining :|
  • I've got limited cash flow temporarily so I want the CREAM OF THE CROP.
    Another time, perhaps. I don't want to waste my time with shit I won't enjoy - that's why I don't just watch anime - I go on yours, Fast Karate, and AWO's reviews. If it's not getting a good rap from you guys, I don't really bother.

That is why I am telling you to get Pheonix first then you will understand Tezuka and then you will get Astro :P
  • Look up Tezuka in your local library, they'll probably have some. If they have any volumes of Phoenix grab them as they can be read in any order so whatever. You could also read Buddha in any order but it's probably better in sequence. Ode to Kirihito is quality and only one volume hooray! I would say don't read Apollo's Song until you've read some of the other stuff just so that you can get a feel for Tezuka at his best before you delve into Tezuka at his most depressed.

Don't bother with Astroboy or the sci-fi series (Lost World, Metropolis, etc) unless you really feel like it as they aren't all that impressive. Definitely something you read to learn about comics and see how the "god of manga" developed over time.

Off-topic: has anyone read Vampire? I don't believe it has an English translation but I'm very interested in it. It has Rock as the main villain and he's probably my favourite character in the whole Tezuka Star System thing. And apparently Tezuka himself is in it as a character making the difficult moral decisions that he didn't want to push onto his characters. Intriguing!
  • Well, Astroboy is impresive specially the 2003 series ( I finally got my volumes 1-3 from the region 3 ver.) Also do not forget to get Astroboy: Omega Factor because is freaking sweet and it is most impresive.
  • edited October 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I love the 1980s Astroboy anime series and I found the 2003 one to be reasonably enjoyable (it stopped airing here halfway through and I never picked it up again. I didn't like the portrayal of Dr. Tenma as batshit crazy bad guy very much) but I thought we were talking about manga. The Astroboy manga is on the whole kind of boring with the occasional favourite story/chapter. But everyone's favourite is different so there's no volume that's definitely better than the others.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • Just thought I'd say that MW is out and Black Jack has been licensed.
  • Just thought I'd say that MW is out and Black Jack has been licensed.

Mw should be arriving on my doorstep next week. Black Jack will be ordered when it is ready.
  • edited October 2007

Just thought I'd say that MW is out and Black Jack has been licensed.

Vertical is awesome!
    also,
    Grande Tezuka !
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • MW ordered. 20 bucks for a hardcover mabga sounds totally cool by me.

What's it about?
  • MW ordered. 20 bucks for a hardcover mabga sounds totally cool by me.

...What's it about?
    I don't think it's hardcover. At least, none of the other Vertical releases are, except Buddha, which is now available in softcover.
  • Now looks like a good time to pick up some Tezuka stuff, as Rightstuf.com has Vertical's releases on sale. 
    I already have Ode to Kirihito, and I've been grabbing Pheonix slowly.  I was happy when I was finally able to get a copy of #1.
  • My order form totally says hardcover... That'd be awesome.
  • It's hardcover. There was some confusion before, but it has been confirmed in the Tezuka in English forums.
  • It's hardcover. There was some confusion before, but it has been confirmed in the Tezuka in English forums.

Well, it's on my doorstep, so I'll see it when I get home.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    As many of you fans of manga might or might not be aware, there is a multitude of work in Tezuka's body of work that hasn't seen an American release. Knowing that Vertical Inc. seems to be rapidly publishing a great majority of Tezuka's work here in the States and Europe, I decided to send them a message asking if they would ever do more Tezuka books.

My message read like this...
    Dear Vertical Inc.

I am a big fan of your books, especially your translation of all of
    Osamu Tezuka's works. I would like to ask (if at all possible), to
    please license and translate more of Tezuka's work. What I mean is
    that I think your readers would greatly appreciate it if you
    translated things like Ambassador Magma, Age of Adventure, Rainbow
    Peacock, Big X, and more. I would like to know if this is at all
    possible because I like how you run your business and I want to keep
    on buying your books as you are currently my favorite publisher of
    literature.

Thanks alot
    Matthew

Yeah I'll admit I laid it on a little thick there, but I can't help it because Vertical is (and probably will be for a long time) my favorite publisher as of late.

Well 2 weeks later, I got this in my inbox from a woman named Jessica who turns out to be Director of Marketing and Publicity at Vertical. Her short message made me very happy, and also answered a question I had about Black Jack.

Thank you for your kind words and enthusiasm.

Currently we are publishing all 17 volumes of Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack and that keeps us pretty busy. We do not have any new titles from Tezuka at the moment but will always be publishing him.
    Thanks!
    Jessica

All I can say is props to Vertical, props.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • When did you get that letter? Jessica hasn't worked there for awhile. Ed Chavez has that job now.
  • When did you get that letter? Jessica hasn't worked there for awhile. Ed Chavez has that job now.
    The reply was sent to me on February 11, I just never thought to put it here till now for some odd reason.
  • BTW, if word didn't get around, Vertical & Tezuka won an Eisner award for the American release of Dororo.
  • In case you were wondering, Tezuka's Swallowing the Earth just recently came out. It's from his middle period (with Metropolis and such being early and Phoenix, MW, and Ode to Kirihito being late), and while I haven't finished it, I'm in the middle and enjoying it thoroughly.
  • In case you were wondering, Tezuka'sSwallowing the Earthjust recently came out. It's from his middle period (with Metropolis and such being early and Phoenix, MW, and Ode to Kirihito being late), and while I haven't finished it, I'm in the middle and enjoying it thoroughly.
    I am very well aware of this and I want to get it. But I'm also interested in seeing a stateside Unico manga release, Ambassador Magma, and more. I know I am restating myself in the letter above, but I desperate want to see more of Tezuka's work to see how proficient and how much variety he had in his career.
  • edited July 2009
    Ambassador Magma is no masterpiece, I hear. Vertical will get to it when they get to it, but in the meantime, why don't you bother some scanslators for it or something? (Except don't bother me. While I am a scanslator, I am busy-busy.) Find some classic manga group which isn't concerned with money and sales figures.

edit: Or if you are so curious, go out and learn Japanese yourself. Then you can buy these book at the BookOff for 3 dollars a pop.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited July 2016
    So I bought Astro Boy 2008 1&2 Dark Horse Comics paperback (ISBN 978-1-59582-153-9) from my uni bookstore for $5 because I'd heard you guys talk about it. I looked it up on amazon.ca and it's listed for $100 new. What's the deal?
    Post edited by Pegu on