This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Warehouse 13

edited July 2009 in Everything Else
I watched the first few episodes of the show while recovering from jet lag. The initial appeal to me was Saul Rubinek playing an exasperated and somewhat jaded keeper of mysteries. So far, despite the two leads being a tad lackluster, I've found it rather entertaining. Anyone else seen the show? Any thoughts?

Comments

• I saw ads for it constantly when I watched the 4th of July Twilight Zone Marathon and I wanted to watch the show, but I ended up not actually following through with watching it.
  • It's more entertaining than I had expected it would be, given the premise. The show seems set up to be a monster-of-the-week, but they might be going somewhere interesting with it. There are very few characters, and they don't seem to have much depth. The mysteriousness is a bit heavy-handed. You know...

Old Guy: "Mumble mumble mumble about something while I look worried..."
    New Girl: "What was that?"
    Old Guy: "Oh, nothing." Ominous look, DUN DUN DUN!

Also, it's on Hulu. Which is the main reason I continue to watch it.
  • I'm still protesting Syfy for being full of shit. If they're lucky I'll download their shows from Bittorrent.
  • The initial appeal to me was Saul Rubinek playing an exasperated and somewhat jaded keeper of mysteries.
    Saul Rubinek played a character named Faja in Star Trek: The Next Generation. He was a collector of rare and priceless artifacts. I find it kinda funny how he's playing a collector once again.

Anyway, I like Warehouse 13. It's a fun show.
  • The initial appeal to me was Saul Rubinek playing an exasperated and somewhat jaded keeper of mysteries.
    Saul Rubinek played a character named Faja in Star Trek: The Next Generation. He was a collector of rare and priceless artifacts. I find it kinda funny how he's playing a collector once again.
    Exactly, thus the appeal. ^_~
  • Saul Rubinek played a character named Faja in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    The name was Fajo, not Faja. And I have the trading card to prove it.

The show is not growing on me the way I wanted it to, despite being co-created by Jane Espenson, one of my favourite TV writers. The two agents (from the Secret Service? Really?) are too goofy, Rubinek's character is too subdued and dull (Why waste a talent like him?), and the psuedoscience falls flat most of the time (the psychic energy was trapped in the chair's springs? Really?) I guess it fits in with the whole Syfy-lis inanity. And it will run for ten years, damn it. Firefly, grumble grumble.
  • Okay, seriously people, Firefly was a great show, but get over it! The bitching and moaning really gets old!
  • Okay, seriously people, Firefly was a great show, but get over it! The bitching and moaning really gets old!
    Lies! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
  • edited October 2009
    Okay, seriously people, Firefly was a great show, but get over it! The bitching and moaning really gets old!
    I got over it after I saw Serenity. I had closure. But it is a prime example of a great show cancelled early, while mediocre reality/formulaic/procedural shows thrive.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
    I got over it after I saw Serenity. I had closure. But is is a prime example of a great show cancelled early, while mediocre reality/formulaic/procedural shows thrive.
    The majority of the population is mediocre. The great shows are often too complicated to appeal to them, but the mediocre shows are not. Therefore, the mediocre shows thrive.

Also, re: Firefly, I just finished making a bunch of shirts with little dinosaurs on them going "Grr! Argh!" for ConnectiCon. ^_^
  • Also, re: Firefly, I just finished making a bunch of shirts with little dinosaurs on them going "Grr! Argh!" for ConnectiCon. ^_^
  • Well yeah, but my dinosaurs are cuter. Plus, it's a slightly more subtle Whedon joke.
  • edited July 2009
    It's more entertaining than I had expected it would be, given the premise.
    I watched the first episode and had exactly the opposite opinion. I thought it was less entertaining than I expected it would be, given the premise. In my opinion, the premise is pretty neat, and could support some great stories, but the stories they want to tell are just bland and predictable.

It's almost as if there's an elevator music genre of SF that they're mining for shows like these. You can turn them on, keep them going in the background while you do something else, pay attention to them for about a minute out of every fifteen, and still "get" all of the crappy story; but if you watch the whole thing through and continuously pay attention, it's like trying to make a meal out of a Twinkie. Shows like this are to real science fiction what The Jonas Brothers are to Led Zeppelin.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on