This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090729 - Otakon 2009

edited July 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we give you the full report about Otakon 2009. In the news, Marvel acquires Marvel Man and Twilight ruined Hall H. Also, we will be dominating Connecticon this weekend, and here is the clip that got Daryl's panel canned.

Scott's Thing - Pixlr
Rym's Thing - Destructutorial Metal City

Comments

• Oh, crap, this is a long one! Awesome!
  • edited July 2009
    Sounds fun. I wish I could go to Connecticon, but it's impossible.
    I will finish listening to the episode, then probably post again. Yeah.
    Edit: The Gradius knock-off you referred to was probably Parodius. Just wanted to point that out.
    Edit 2: All in all, a great episode. I enjoyed it heavily. Tons of great stuff about Otakon, and I agree with pretty much everything you said. There's nothing more to be said than that, really. Everything else I would want you to know is in the Otakon 2009 thread. So, yeah.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • What you said about people not knowing how to ask questions is so true. At ConnectiCon last year, Tim Buckley's CAD panel was so painful. At least 3 people asked him what webcomics he reads, and everyone else asked unbelievably stupid questions about console wars, the most recent storyline, etc. I don't really know how to fix this problem in smaller panels like that one. It was even more painful when I went to see Anderson Cooper speak at a local university. Some people went up to the microphone and attempted to have extended arguments about a minor point Anderson brought up. However, I went to see Vint Cerf, father of the Internet, speak at RIT, and every question asked was interesting and had an interesting answer. Guess what? The questions were screened.
    /endrant
  • edited July 2009
    Google has an interesting solution for dealing with the problem of stupid questions and panels and such.

Google Moderator

I want to try it out in the near future.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • At the VAMPS panel people they read question people submitted online and had very few at con questions. With online submitted questions you could screen them. I don't think you should do it fully and have a small time for at con questioning.
  • At the VAMPS panel people they read question people submitted online and had very few at con questions. With online submitted questions you could screen them. I don't think you should do it fully and have a small time for at con questioning.
    For something like VAMPS, there will be plenty of online submitted questions. However, for something like a panel at a convention, people won't know anything in advance. They formulate their questions while they are listening to your panel. Also, the commenting culture of the Internet, and things like this forum, have bred a generation of people who are used to giving real-time feedback.

I think that a technological solution like Google Moderator is probably the best. However, people who are not enabled with mobile technology will be unable to participate if such a system is used exclusively. I tend to think this is a good idea, because that face in and of itself will filter out a lot of crap. It's also a problem that will disappear as more people get better phones. I'm sure it would work great at a tech conference, but we have to give it a few years before it will work for gaming and/or anime.
  • edited July 2009
    For as long as the show was, you both did a very well good job of with the coverage. With Geeknights and AWO both doing extensive coverage of the con, I felt like I was almost there.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • If you guys do indeed get an entire panel room for next year, I would be willing to put up and (assuming they get accepted) run some panels if you need to fill some time.
  • If you guys do indeed get an entire panel room for next year, I would be willing to put up and (assuming they get accepted) run some panels if you need to fill some time.
    I'm willing to bet money that Rym & Scott will come on the air next week (if we're lucky) and tell us that they're fucking exhausted from ConnectiCon and they're never doing anything like that again.
    I'm willing to bet money that Rym & Scott will come on the air next week (if we're lucky) and tell us that they're fucking exhausted from ConnectiCon and they're never doing anything like that again.
    Probably. But, if they did get a room, then those of us attending Otakon could band together to do more panels in the room and give them more down time. I will hopefully be going to Otakon again next year, and I'd be willing to help.
  • edited July 2009
    It's nice that you are kids are willing to do panels, but you also need to be able. That is, you have to be good at it. Connecticon, and other small cons, are fine places to practice your paneling skills. Otakon, not so much. Unless we have 100% confidence in your awesomeness, don't get your hopes up. I suggest you start practicing now.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It's nice that you are kids are willing to do panels, but you also need to be able. That is, you have to be good at it. Connecticon, and other small cons, are fine places to practice your paneling skills. Otakon, not so much. Unless we have 100% confidence in your awesomeness, don't get your hopes up. I suggest you start practicing now.
    I competed in three separate events (original oratory, poetry and prose, and extemporaneous speaking) on my school's speech and debate team, I think I can manage speaking in front of a crowd and keep them entertained.
  • I wasn't guaranteeing that we could do it. But I have spoken in front of groups before, and people have said I'm a good speaker. And that was without practice. Also, I wasn't assuming I'd run a panel. I was just assuming I'd sit there and help out (queuing up videos and such) while another presenter went on.
  • I was totally one of those poor saps still sitting outside of the "Craziest Deaths" panel when they reopened the doors and kicked everyone out. All in all, I was glad I got to bear witness to at least that part.
  • I was totally one of those poor saps still sitting outside of the "Craziest Deaths" panel when they reopened the doors and kicked everyone out. All in all, I was glad I got to bear witness to at least that part.
    I got in, because I went to the line like, 20-30 minutes before the panel. Then I got kicked out. Fun times...
    I got in, because I went to the line like, 20-30 minutes before the panel. Then I got kicked out. Fun times...
    Dude, I was there that early and the line was practically out the door at that point. I only got as close as I did because some friends were holding a place for us.
  • For the record, the "Buttscratcher" thing comes from this:
  • For the record, the "Buttscratcher" thing comes from this:

Yeah, I didn't learn this 'til the end of the con. I was horribly confused for all of the prior convention. I understood Marco Polo, though, but everyone did. I just wish someone had understood my joke when me and my brother tried to shout "Fish out of water!" It could've been hilarious. If I had more guts, I would've shouted Marco a few times, and then said it.
    I was totally one of those poor saps still sitting outside of the "Craziest Deaths" panel when they reopened the doors and kicked everyone out. All in all, I was glad I got to bear witness to at least that part.
    Dude, I was there that early and the line was practically out the door at that point. I only got as close as I did because some friends were holding a place for us.
    Maybe I was there earlier. I don't remember. I still only got in once it was close to being full anyways. It was ridiculously packed.
  • edited August 2009
    EDIT: Never mind.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • It was "THE GAME" that was the most annoying of all those hallway jokes, I think. That one's really been done to death.

One guy in particular wouldn't let me, Natalie, or my sister pass through the hall to artists alley. He kept running up in front of us going "YOU MUST READ IT" and shoving a paper that said "The game, you lost it" in our faces. He wouldn't go away until I was downright mean to him. That sorta thing is just too much.
  • It was "THE GAME" that was the most annoying of all those hallway jokes, I think. That one's really been done to death.

One guy in particular wouldn't let me, Natalie, or my sister pass through the hall to artists alley. He kept running up in front of us going "YOU MUST READ IT" and shoving a paper that said "The game, you lost it" in our faces. He wouldn't go away until I was downright mean to him. That sorta thing is just too much.
    I agree. The game is way out of control. At least buttscratcha! is kind of funny. The game has never been funny.

I propose we change the rules of the game. Anyone who mentions the game in any way agrees to let anyone in their presence kick them in the head. Whoever kicks the hardest wins the game.
  • edited August 2009
    I propose we change the rules of the game. Anyone who mentions the game in any way agrees to let anyone in their presence kick them in the head. Whoever kicks the hardest wins the game.
    Seconded.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I propose we change the rules of the game. Anyone who mentions the game in any way agrees to let anyone in their presence kick them in the head. Whoever kicks the hardest wins the game.
    I third this, mainly because I would win almost every time.
  • edited August 2009
    Or maybe just delibarately lose the game, say "You win, here's your prize" and conduct your choice of violent act.
    Personally, custard pie to the face [Wait, how could I choose that? I meant this:].
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I dunno, I still find the game fun among friends. But when you take it seriously, that screws it up. It's good for us to have a laugh whenever we lose. But those people are dumb when they do dumb things to try and force others to lose the game.
  • The line(s) between funny, unfunny, and just-plain-obnoxious seem to blur into obscurity for a lot of people at cons. There are a lot of people who think that now they can get away with being the biggest/creepiest/most annoying loser they've always wanted to be, and everyone around them will praise them for it.

Not that those people completely represent Otakon for me. This was one of the most fun ones I've been to.
  • Yeah, sounded like an awesome time. I wanted to go, but I was doing something else... important. Next year, though, I'm finally going! ^^ Anyways thanks for the coverage. I'll know what to look out for next year (ie. lines, if that's still an issue).
    go XKCD.
    I don't need to be free. I willingly play the game, I'll stop when I choose.
    But, yes, that xkcd comic is great.