This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post-Geekchat Discussion

GeoGeo
edited August 2009 in Forum Stuff
Well, I'm gonna hold a Geekchat for all to enjoy. Anyone who wants to join, please post here and we'll see where it goes from here. I look forward to all you forumites' participation.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I'll be in Ohio, so I won't be able to participate. Not with a mic, anyway.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • 15th is mother's day so it's a no go for me.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    I have decided to make the time in which it begins at 5:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time. People who live somewhere other than the the Eastern Time Zone, please try and figure out when you can join and adjust where necessary.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited August 2009
    the 15th at 2pm. Sounds good to me; count me in.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'll be in New York City with the crew
  • I shan't be in NYC with the rest of the crew, but I will be having people over for a cookout and then going to see Ponyo.
  • If you wouldn't mind me sitting here and typing responses while listening to you guys talk, then I might download Skype and participate. Unless I wanna go out and buy some cheap mic, which I could, but I don't really want to...
  • I won't be able to attend.
  • Okay so the deal with the sudden change in date in the first place was that I thought (according to my parents) we were going on vacation this Saturday so I changed the date. Just a few minutes ago I found out that they mixed up the dates and I'm going next week, so sorry for any inconvenience or confusion.
  • I can probably manage to be awake at 7am on a Sunday, so this ought to work fine.
  • Turns out I might leave for something on Saturday...So, we'll see what happens. Maybe I won't be able to go.
  • GMT at that time is 10PM, or 9PM, damn summer

How do I take part in this, is there a skype account I need to call?
  • Just wanna make sure everyone remembers that tomorrow at 5:00 PM is the Geekchat. Just wanna throw that out there so that people don't forget.
    edited August 2009
     * gives Lordyupa a box with cookies.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Oh, damn. This isn't going to work. It's 4am and I am sorely in need of sleep.
  • I'll join whenever. Call me on luke.burrage or say who we should befriend somewhere in this thread.
  • I gotta work then going to a show. Sorry.
  • edited August 2009
    Dudes, coming online now,
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    Geekchat is live now.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I have a question about Geekchat and it is something that either luke burrage or Apsup mentioned during the last Geekchat. What would be the best times to hold a Geekchat so that a lot of people can take part in them? The reason why I'm asking this over the months I've noticed that Geekchats are usually very sporadic and only come around every so often, and I think it should be said that the last successful Geekchat that had a wide range of members present was the one in July that had Emily, Viga, and a bunch of other forumites. The last two Geekchats (counting the one that just ended) only had a couple members present, and as a result they eventually fell apart due to the low number of attendees. If anyone has any suggestions on how to hold a Geekchat so that a greater amount of people can be present, I think it'd be very beneficial to all future Geekchats in the future
  • edited August 2009
    Well, it looks like I didn't miss too much while I was sleeping.
    I think that in order to hold a successful GeekChat, you would want to pre-arrange it to ensure some level of attendance. It would help a lot if the time was flexible from the start, in order to accommodate as many people as possible.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Hey, Lordyupa, read up this forum thread a bit! It starts by you saying "Geekchat on Saturday!" and then, if I count correctly, ten replies from people saying "I can't make it!" How many people said they could make it? One or two.

This ratio of positive to negative is all you need to know that Saturday evening isn't the best time. I was only at home because I was a bit unwell, otherwise I'd have been out, and I only joined once I'd finished another project. And by that time it was 1.30 AM.

Next time try posting something like "I'd like to do a geekchat this week/weekend. When are most people free? If you want to take part, tell me which night is best for you and which night is worst for you." Then select the night where the most people/most interesting people can take part.

Also, when other people are having interesting discussions, don't type in the chatroom "I'm bored." It's rather impolite.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    Hey, Lordyupa, read up this forum thread a bit! It starts by you saying "Geekchat on Saturday!" and then, if I count correctly, ten replies from people saying "I can't make it!" How many people said they could make it? One or two.

This ratio of positive to negative is all you need to know that Saturday evening isn't the best time. I was only at home because I was a bit unwell, otherwise I'd have been out, and I only joined once I'd finished another project. And by that time it was 1.30 AM.

Next time try posting something like "I'd like to do a geekchat this week/weekend. When are most people free? If you want to take part, tell me which night is best for you and which night is worst for you." Then select the night where the most people/most interesting people can take part.
    You are right and I will incorporate your suggestions into future geekchats as I feel they are more well rounded and the only reason I set it on Saturday because I had a feeling people were free on Saturday.

Also, when other people are having interesting discussions, don't type in the chatroom "I'm bored." It's rather impolite.
    The deal with that there was that I was really, really tired from staying up stupidly early and right around that time I was about to fall asleep and I wasn't exactly thinking correctly so I'm sorry if I came off as impolite and I hope there are no hard feelings.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • You know, summer in general is bad for me to Geekchat. I'm out being social on most weekend evenings, and on the weekdays, I'm busy with work.

I missed this past one because of a chunk of the FRC's Brooklyn moving. Their place is the new hotness!
  • You know, summer in general is bad for me to Geekchat. I'm out being social on most weekend evenings, and on the weekdays, I'm busy with work.

I missed this past one because of a chunk of the FRC's Brooklyn moving. Their place is the new hotness!
    Moving? Not that it's any of my business, but did Scrym move?
  • FRC, not Scrym directly.

The Johnny Wander crew. <3
  • FRC, not Scrym directly.

The Johnny Wander crew. <3</p>
    Ahh...Yuko and Ananth are awesome people judging from when I met them at Connecticon ^_^