This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rules - discussion

edited August 2009 in Forum Stuff
A private message / whisper is fine, as rules do not apply to private communications.
This is entirely true? I am not sure it's a good idea.

Comments

• Well, if someone is harassing you over whispers, that's different. But I think you can block that, so unless you can't, it doesn't really matter.
    Otherwise, who are they to regulate private communication?
    But, if you can't block someone from sending you harassing messages, then you should be able to contact a moderator and get them banned. We can probably just use screen caps to prove that we're getting harassing whispers, I'd presume.
  • It's a written rule in some other thread I forget. I just neglected to put it in the actual rules thread, which is my bad. I will correct that ASAP.
    AHAA! Mr. Smarty pants, yes, everything on the forums is pretty much written, it's a forum lacking audio and visual means of communication. You fully well know and understand that with 'unwritten rule' I meant rules not written in the rules thread. You have to write laws in a lawbook, less it be unwritten. Likewise you'd have to write forum rules in the forum rules thread. Thank you for finally following through.

Noteworthy: Apreche is an administrator, not a moderator, by his own words he is not allowed to enforce the rules. =3=
  • How "private" is a whisper anyway?
    In any case, an absence of rules on whispers would imply harassment over whispers is acceptable. Also, I don't think you can block whispers.
    Is there some way that a whisper is less private than a private message on most other boards?
  • edited August 2009
    How "private" is a whisper anyway?
    Is there some way that a whisper is less private than a private message on most other boards?
    No, but the same point applies to most other boards.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    Depends on whether Vanilla allows rulers to read the PMs like on other forum software.
  • edited August 2009
    No, but the same point applies to most other board
    What's the point, exactly? That it's not private because administrators can see it? Something else I don't get?

edit: I see.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Even though whispers are private, they are still stored unencrypted in our database. I have the ability to see everything, I just don't. It's a lot of work, and I really don't care.

However, if someone does do something that is obviously bad in some whispers, just tell me and I can investigate it.

Also, this is a discussion forum, a pull-medium. It's not like e-mail or IM, which are push mediums. If someone harrasses you via E-mail or IM, and you can't block/filter them out, then it can be very annoying because of the incoming flood causing a problem. If someone harasses you via a forum, the messages aren't being pushed in your face. They are only presented for you to read, if you choose to.

Ignoring and not reading posts/threads is one of the most powerful features available to you. If you don't like something, just don't look at it. If you don't have enough will-power to do that, that is not a problem that will be solved with technology.

• Noteworthy: Apreche is an administrator, not a moderator, by his own words he is not allowed to enforce the rules. =3=
    I don't have the time, or patience, to rewrite the forum rules in a way that will stand up against rules-lawyering. I understand rules lawyering very well, as a tabletop RPG and board game kind of person. This just isn't the place for that.

Also, again, this forum is an autocracy. Feel free to discuss forum rules all you want, but what you guy think has absolutely no influence on what will be.
  • Haha, I had to actively resist the urge to correct a typo in Scott's post, as it would've been amusing in this thread.
    edited August 2009
    I don't have the time, or patience, to rewrite the forum rules in a way that will stand up against rules-lawyering. I understand rules lawyering very well, as a tabletop RPG and board game kind of person. This just isn't the place for that.
    It was just a dumb point to balance your dumb point of "It's written somewhere else!" I'm not going to bother to rules-lawyer the rules. Though it's rather easy to just say that admins are a subgroup of moderators, they're super moderators or whatever ones ego pleases. In your case 'master administrator'.
    Also, again, this forum is an autocracy. Feel free to discuss forum rules all you want, but what you guys think has absolutely no influence on what will be.
    And we WILL abuse the privilege of fruitlessly bickering freely about the rules. Thank you kindly.
    Post edited by ... on
  • And we WILL abuse the privilege of fruitlessly bickering freely about the rules. Thank you kindly.
    I feel the sudden urge to fruitlessly bicker about the rules.
  • Scott- As a moderator or an admin, do you have access to see other people's whispers, to check for harassment, etc? Just out of curiosity.
    And we WILL abuse the privilege of fruitlessly bickering freely about the rules. Thank you kindly.
    I feel the sudden urge to fruitlessly bicker about the rules.
    I like bickering too but as with the Religion arguments, I get really bored of it after a while. I think you'll start to see much less bickering for me, hopefully.
  • I like bickering too but as with the Religion arguments,
    As I've said with other people, if you get tired of religion arguments then don't read them :-p
    As I've said with other people, if you get tired of religion arguments then don't read them :-p
    Or shoot me, because that would end most of them. :)
    That's not really what I was referring to specifically, I meant more me having a debate with an actual person, not so much watching them online. I meant I've gotten tired of debating it with people. Reading them is often quite entertaining. ;P
    I like bickering too but as with the Religion arguments,
    Nah nah, you're fine. :D
    Nah nah, you're fine. :D
    I was joking.
    But getting rid of me would end the religious arguments. At least, the ones we've been having. Shooting me for being religious would raise a whole lot more religious arguments, but lets not get into that.
  • Scott- As a moderator or an admin, do you have access to see other people's whispers, to check for harassment, etc? Just out of curiosity.
    He could, but I think he said that he doesn't.
  • I like bickering too but as with the Religion arguments, I get really bored of it after a while. I think you'll start to see much less bickering for me, hopefully.
    Not really, I was just making a bioshock Joke.
  • As I've said with other people, if you get tired of religion arguments then don't read them :-p
    I agree. However, this forum, and many others, are already filled to the brim with the same exact religious arguments over and over again. For those who want to read them, there is plenty of existing material. There's no reason to fill the database with redundant data. That is why if someone has something new to say on the subject, we very much welcome and encourage it to be posted.

If some other topic were as done-to-death as the religion topic, it would also fall under the same sort of rule. For example, it's been awhile, but a few more uber threads about World of Warcraft being a complete waste of time, and that would also become a redundant discussion topic.

There's also the aspect of presentation. Imagine you are a GeekNights listener who has never been to the forums. You see the front page of the forum, and the big thread that keeps popping up repeatedly is some religion debate. What are you going to think? Welcome to the Internets!

Let's say yo are the same listener, and the top threads are the gay thread, the art threads, a convention thread, the metal thread, etc. That is a much more inviting forum for a GeekNights listener. It actually looks like a GeekNights forum, and not yet another Internet shithole.
  • well why isn't there just one huge religion discussion thread :-p
  • well why isn't there just one huge religion discussion thread :-p
    Because it's the same argument. I would just be saying the same thing over and over again, because I can't answer their one question. Basically, since I can't prove my point, there's no point in having the argument.
  • Well answer the question Axel. So we can have debates again :-p
    I can't. There is no answer to that question. They have a valid point, and I accept why they don't believe in God. I however, still choose to.
    But seriously, really, let's not get into this any more. This will only lead to bad things.
  • If some other topic were as done-to-death as the religion topic
    There's also the aspect of presentation.
    I'm tempted to argue about god using painting.
  • All this meta hurts my head
    I'm still sad about missing that other thread, the one that started with Axel attacking Catholicism.
  • I think it's pretty obvious that no religious person is going to be able to refute the FSM. If you non-religious people want to argue religion so much, why don't you try to think up a refutation?
  • I enjoy talking about religion; not if the claims are true or not, more about the historical roots and the way they work. Unfortunately, some people take a faith-based approach, and try to make claims only supported by dogma. This then results in a theological debate (boooooring) of the type that gets shut down on this forum.
  • I enjoy talking about religion; not if the claims are true or not, more about the historical roots and the way they work. Unfortunately, some people take a faith-based approach, and try to make claims only supported by dogma. This then results in a theological debate (boooooring) of the type that gets shut down on this forum.
    Yeap. This is where I like to talk about religion as well.