This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sleeping Disorders/Problems

GeoGeo
edited August 2009 in Suggestions
It might be due to the heat or whatnot, but I am not able to sleep lately. This might be due to my lifestyle of staying up insanely early or possibly other factors, but overall I'm worried that my sleep deprivation will have adverse effects on my health in the long-run. Rather than take any pills or anything, I thought it would be a good idea to come and ask for help here and see if anyone had any suggestions. I beg of you, please help me...

Comments

• Go see a real doctor.
  • Rather than take any pills or anything, I thought it would be a good idea to come and ask for help here and see if anyone had any suggestions.
    Just wanted to use that picture again ;-).
  • @Timo I'm wary of those things because I don't want to become addicted to them because I nearly became addicted to asprin when I was healing after breaking both my arm and ankle after a terrible injury I'd rather not get into. It's nice to know I can count on my friends for help as I wanted to learn how to do it the natural way.
  • edited August 2009
    @Timo I'm wary of those things because I don't want to become addicted to them because I nearly became addicted to asprin when I was healing after breaking both my arm and ankle after a terrible injury I'd rather not get into. It's nice to know I can count on my friends for help as I wanted to learn how to do it the natural way.
    Sorry, here you go.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited August 2009
    I also find that I can't sleep that well at night, as if my body clock is set on a cycle of 28 hours. I do get enough exercise, but it is simply impossible because I'm just not tired. It's not like I lie awake on my bed full of stress or anything, desperate to go to bed. it's just not time for me to go to sleep. It's almost 4 am and now I'm tired enough to go to sleep. Coupled with the fact that I'm a night owl, it really does not help in school.
    But I feel the thoughts of love and peace, and I know it is my time to sleep once again. Good night, it is time to die and reawaken once again.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • I also find that I can't sleep that well at night, as if my body clock is set on a cycle of 28 hours. I do get enough exercise, but it is simply impossible because I'm just not tired. It's not like I lie awake on my bed full of stress or anything, desperate to go to bed. it's just not time for me to go to sleep. It's almost 4 am and now I'm tired enough to go to sleep. Coupled with the fact that I'm a night owl, it really does not help in school.
    But I feel the thoughts of love and peace, and I know it is my time to sleep once again. Good night, it is time to die and reawaken once again.
    I myself am a night owl, and I feel your pain brother.
  • Masturbation, perhaps?
  • I'm pretty sure you can't get addicted to aspirin. Also, see a doctor.
    Gin?
    Gin?
    The liquor. Drink it. It'll cure you ailments.
  • I have this same problem sometimes, and I find that running (at least 2 hours before you want to sleep, any closer and it will probably just keep you awake) helps me fall asleep, especially if I do intervals. Alcohol and/or marijuana have also been known to knock people out (although drunk sleep is generally not that good).
  • The liquor. Drink it. It'll cure you ailments.
    There is a reason there is a brand nicknamed "Dr Bombay"
  • Alcohol and/or marijuana have also been known to knock people out (although drunk sleep is generally not that good).
    Weed tends to actually keep me awake a bit, with my mind racing with all kinds of stuff. When I do get to sleep, though, I sleep like a baby. I hardly ever smoke anymore, but once in a while, if I'm going through a spell of bad sleep (and my issues tend to be with staying asleep, rather than falling asleep), it's pretty much guaranteed to help.
  • I had sleeping issues too until I finally put myself back on a sleeping schedule. It took 3 days to get used to it. I sleep like a baby now. I go to sleep at 1am wake up at 9am.
  • I have trouble falling asleep owing to ocassional night anxiety and an odd internal clock. I find that going to bed at the same time most nights, playing little word games to keep myself from my anxiety spiral, making the room completely dark when I fall asleep and turning on lights as soon as I get up, and taking medication when necassary all allow me to manage it quite well. I echo Scott's advice that you see a doctor.
  • playing little word games to keep myself from my anxiety spiral
    Not quite the same thing, but if I'm not really tired, I'll go on thinking about stuff forever if I don't make an effort to stop. Not anxiety, just thinking. To stop it, I'll often focus on an imaginary object, and concentrate on my breathing. Sometimes I count.
  • Everytime I see this thread, this immediately pops into my head:

I can't sleep at night
    I toss and turn
    Listen for the telephone
    When I get your call
    I'm all chocked up
    Can't believe you called my home
    And as a matter of fact, it blows my mind
    You would even talk to mee
    Cause a boy like you is a dream come true
    A real life fantasy

No matter what your friends try and tell ya
    We were made to fall in love
    And we will be together, any kind of weather
    Just like that, just like that

Every little step I take, you will be there
    Every little step I make, we'll be together
  • And that reminds me of my Canadian drama teacher, who told us to use this for inspiration for a drama piece, "Now, imagine that you are in bed and it is a hot summers night, and you lay there tossing" (in England tossing is slang for masturbating ) *whole class errupts in to laughter*
  • When I can't sleep in my bed, I go lie down on the carpeted floor of my room. The floor never fails me.
  • @Sonic: I so wish my room was tidy enough to have a futon.
  • @Sonic: I so wish my room was tidy enough to have a futon.
    Tidy it up?
  • I'm actually making good progress in that direction.
  • I'm about to move in to a dorm -- I wish my room was big enough for any extra piece of floor-standing furniture. Even a nightstand would be nice.
  • I'm actually making good progress in that direction.
    Cleaning up a room takes one day, what are you doing?
  • edited August 2009
    Cleaning up a room takes one day
    Nineless's universal constant No. 51.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Cleaning up a room takes one day
    I cannot think of a single situation where cleaning a room would take more than a day other than it approaching warehouse sizes. My mom cleaned an entire freaking house in a single weekend including inventorying everything in the house. Either you can't clean, or you just don't clean and say you do.
  • Cleaning up a room takes one day
    I cannot think of a single situation where cleaning a room would take more than a day other than it approaching warehouse sizes. My mom cleaned an entire freaking house in a single weekend including inventorying everything in the house. Either you can't clean, or you just don't clean and say you do.
    Nineless's universal rule of cleaning: Cleaning must be done in a single sitting or not at all.
    edited August 2009
    Nineless's universal rule of cleaning: Cleaning must be done in a single sitting or not at all.
    Yes on a room by room basis. 1) You finally started cleaning that room, so you've crossed the hurdle of 'crap, I gotta clean', 2) cleaning in small quantities is stupid, you'll never make any progress since you'll create a mess between times you clean up (otherwise, why was the room messy in the first place), 3) it takes no time to fully clean your average room, 4) it's very satisfactory to finish cleaning a room and you'll be done with it for quite some time. Not fully cleaning up a room and thus having to clean up more often and the room forever being messy is a really sad sight.

In the same way, if you're going to do the dishes, do it all, not half. If you're going to hang up a painting/mirror, hang it up and don't just drive in the nail, etc.

With this we can adapt the rule to say "Nine's universal rule of finishing your work", or "Finish what you start". Don't start a dozen times you fool.
    I forgot I was dealing with a retard.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited August 2009
    So, because you have a method for doing something, that is the only method anyone should use?
    Edit: Oh, I see you spotted the obvious flaw in your argument, Nineless. I suppose there's hope yet.
    Post edited by Omnutia on