This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sleeping Disorders/Problems

13»

Comments

• Again, ever sleep expert and doctor I have ever spoken to recommends that you not look at a bright screen (TV or computer screen) for an hour before bed if you genuinely have problems falling asleep. This is particularly true for anyone attempting to use light therapy to regulate their sleep.
    Even though I don't have sleeping problems, I stopped doing this anyway. It's really true. There are a lot of studies that say you shouldn't look at screens shortly before going to bed. One in particular that got me to change was one that said it has a large effect on how you wake up. You will probably wake up tired if you look at screens before bed. If you read comics, or some such, you will more likely wake up well rested. Works for me.
  • I am getting rather annoyed with people that cry "insomnia", but really just aren't regulating their sleep or it occasionally takes them half an hour to fall asleep rather than five minutes. It is like people crying "migraine" for every headache. Two ladies at work claim to be insomniacs, but they go out frequently throughout the week and don't even get home until after midnight. Insomnia my pa-toot. If they stop hussying it up to all hours on a work night, maybe they'll get some sleep.
  • Get a stuffed moose. It works great for me. :) I find I sleep better when I'm cuddled up with something.
  • I am getting rather annoyed with people that cry "insomnia", but really just aren't regulating their sleep or it occasionally takes them half an hour to fall asleep rather than five minutes
    The programmer at work is in this boat with the two ladies. He says he has trouble sleeping, but I see him with at least 5-6 energy drinks a day at most and he is a heavy smoker.
  • edited August 2009
    I have found that meditation in the dark and a cup of herbal tea works well for me. Also try to progressive muscle tensing, starting with your feet and working your way up the body to your face (after you tense a muscle, it relaxes.) I also like to bathe right before bed, so the warm water makes me quite relaxed. I cannot fall asleep when looking at a computer or game, but reading (preferably something relaxing like Moomintroll) is a very good way to get sleepy.

I don't exercise a lot before bed, but I do do my sit-ups. I'd say running in the evening is good, but make sure your body has time to calm down before you get in bed. Try lying down just when the endorphin high is wearing off. Apparently, sex (if you don't have a partner, masturbation?) is also really good to get you tired out and relaxed before you sleep.
    The programmer at work is in this boat with the two ladies.
    I just glimpsed this phrase and before I comprehended it I thought "Is this a dirty joke?"
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • You could give Pzizz a try. It costs money and seems to employ a bit of pseudoscience, (I'm no expert, but NLP and "bineural beats" are bunk, right?) but people swear by it. I gave it a shot a while back for a nap, and it worked incredibly well.
  • edited August 2009
    You could givePzizza try. It costs money and seems to employ a bit of pseudoscience, (I'm no expert, but NLP and "bineural beats" are bunk, right?) but people swear by it. I gave it a shot a while back for a nap, and it worked incredibly well.
    First of all, pirate that shit. Don't buy it if it might be pseudoscience. Second, NLP is bunk but binaural beats have some supporting evidence. But unless this Pzizz stuff is made by neuroscientists, I'd be highly skeptical.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If you truly aren't suffering for a psychological disorder resulting in or having a primary insomnia, it's really quite straight forward. Although this discussion may have lead you to believe otherwise.

There are 2 primary issues at work for natural rest:

1. Circadian Rhythms

Melatonin is produced in a mammal's brain by the pineal gland during periods of darkness and is suppressed by light.
    It causes drowsiness and lowering of body temperature (the latter causes a parasympathetic response from the nervous system to rest, conserve energy and keep warm).
    This is the primary reasoning behind Jetlag (differing periods of light in Australia vs. UK for example). My circadian rhythms are set to when the sun rises and sets in my home. However this doesn't coincide with the rising and setting of the sun as we have control of light at night and in the day if we stay indoors. I set myself around 8 hours of darkness but I can often be woken by the
    sun peeking through my blinds. At the same time, I can stay up all night in front of my monitor as it produced as much light as my bedroom light and thus can play Left 4 Dead or Fallout 3 till 5 am in the morning without realising till too late.

As a result I suggest for the last half hour or hour prior to sleeping, to do so in a room with just a bedside table lamp or reading light and some reading. If you do this at approximately the same time (go to bed) and get up from bed at regular times all should be fine.

2. Parasympathetic Nervous System
    This very general description of the part of the nervous system controls slowing down and conservation of energy. In this example it will be specifically in regards to digestion. Straight after eating a meal (often the bigger it is, the more profound the effect) your body will respond by making you feel sleepy. Essentially it is moving in to a mode of rest and digest. Where the greater amount of your energy is moved away from brain and especially physical activity to expending energy in breaking down your food and storing it or shunting the variable nutrients and proteins to where they are required. If you get into a regular habit of eating at certain times of the day, your body will demand it, due to running low on body stores and will help you rest at appropriate times of the day.

I seem to sleep quite easily, hardly ever remember any dreams so I feel like I don't but this is predominantly because I am both mentally and physically worn out by my job on a daily basis, it's basically 8.5 hours or more of standing up, thinking through problem, solving them, concentration on dexterity, debate and social interaction all standing up with the occasional heavy lifting.

I also used to go to the gym but have not found a good one close to my new residence but I exercised 5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour doing no cardio but just weights. The reason that weights have a much more profound effect is because you're causing insult to the muscles being exercised and they are constantly trying to drain you of any amino acids to build as muscle to cope with the extra strain that they have been placed under in addition to requiring energy to lay the cells in. Your body will recover from cardio very quickly however I've often felt tired or the effects of weight training 12 hours later.

If your job is not mentally taxing I would suggest supplementation with physical activity but try the first 2 points initially.

You really shouldn't be looking for melatonin in a drug form immediately as it can seriously mess you up (I doubt doctors in the US have access to it anyhow).
  • Lots of people in the US take melatonin because they have trouble sleeping. My mom tried to push it on me (because she's a pusher) and I refused, because there are non-prescription ways of regulating my sleep that *gasp* work!

It is trivially easy to get a doctor to prescribe you melatonin here. Same with antidepressants and ADD medication. However, that doesn't mean you should immediately jump to drugs without trying other methods first.