This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Inglourious Basterds

edited August 2009 in Movies
So I had an opportunity to see this movie this weekend, and I must say, I found it immensely enjoyable. It's definitely among Tarantino's best films. I'm not entirely certain if I like it more than Kill Bill or not, but it's at least on par.

The film did an excellent job of slowly building tension and then suddenly relieving it in a quick burst of violence. The dialogue was filled with little nuances and intricacies, and the film was very visually fetching. All in all, it was an excellent film and I highly recommend that everyone go see it.

Comments

• I plan on watching this movie and your opinion makes me want to watch it even more. I enjoy Tarantino, and I adore Brad Pitt's acting, so I think when combined you get awesome.

I'll try to catch it this weekend.
  • One of his best.
  • Brad Pitt does an excellent job; it also helps that the character he plays is a lot of fun. I'd have to say that Christopher Waltz's character was my favorite; he plays a Nazi investigator who roots out conspirators, and he serves as the primary tension-building force in the movie. He does an excellent job of it.
  • I was on the fence about seeing this film since some reviewers keep saying that it has the promise of a great Tarantino movie, but is self-indulgent and unwieldy.
    With your endorsement, Pete, I may spring for seeing it in the theatre rather than waiting for Netflix.
  • My expectation, based on the trailer alone, is that this movie will consist of a good deal of Tarantino making fun of his own movies while simultaneously delivering on the comedy and violence I so desire. ^_^
  • My expectation, based on the trailer alone, is that this movie will consist of a good deal of Tarantino making fun of his own movies while simultaneously delivering on the comedy and violence I so desire. ^_^
    I'm not sure if he's making fun of his own movies per se, or just really indulging in the things that make him Quentin Tarantino. I suppose you can't really do his thing without a bit of self-deprecation, but I would say that the movie takes itself as seriously as any other Tarantino film.
  • I just saw District 9, and now everyone says this movie is so good... goddamn.

But I'm not one to pass up a Samuel L. Jackson movie (even if he's just the narrator), so I guess I'll see this one sometime this/next week.
  • This movie is good but it wasn't stellar for me, don't get me wrong, there is some excellent acting in it - Christopher Waltz easily out classes Brad Pitt. It makes for some excruciatingly long tense scenes which no other director has successfully pulled off.

It is definitely self indulgent.

It has the comedy and violence thing going for it too. However in my mind it's not as good as Tarantino thinks it is (when he breaks the fourth wall at the end) talking to the audience.

I still hold Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill (yes both volumes) and Resovoir Dogs above this.
    There are a lot of German directors being referenced which I was ambivalent about but that's because I'm not educated in this area.

Good but not great, still worth going to see.
  • I am glad I did not laugh at the gory parts, the movie would have mock me at the end if I would have done that. Sadly I didn't realise what the movie was trying to tell me until my sister told me about it. I wonder if the rest of the people on the theater got it?
    It was a good but long movie, I liked District 9 a lot better than this one though.
    Also, I did not care for the Basterds. I was a lot more inmerse on the story of the theater owner to care about them.
  • Also, I did not care for the Basterds.
    How could you not like the Bear Jew?
  • I was a lot more inmerse on the story of the theater owner to care about them.
    The Basterds were more of a force of nature than they were characters per se. Aldo Raine may be the most static character I've ever seen in a movie, but that didn't stop him from being damn fun.
  • I saw the movie at the midnight showing an Alaska. I enjoyed it overall, but I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if I watched it again. It's a long movie with very drawn-out dialogue scenes and I really just didn't have the patience at 1:30 in the morning to enjoy them when I was already exhausted from a week of not sleeping. Brad Pitt was surprisingly hilarious and the characterization in the film was superb. I'd pay to see it in theaters again.
  • I think it's probably my favorite Tarantino movie. I really want to watch it again and really pay sort of study the long dialogue scenes. Since they are so good at building tension, but also it becomes this conflict/fighting through dialogue. It's just brilliant.
  • I think it's probably my favorite Tarantino movie. I really want to watch it again and really pay sort of study the long dialogue scenes. Since they are so good at building tension, but also it becomes this conflict/fighting through dialogue. It's just brilliant.
    I've never seen anyone drink a glass of milk in such a confrontational fashion in any other movie.
  • didn't have the patience at 1:30 in the morning to enjoy them when I was already exhausted from a week of not sleeping
    Yeah this is how I felt at the Harry Potter release. I was half asleep the entire time...

Anyways, it's a Tarantino movie, so I'm definitely seeing it. Me and my friends should be going tonight to see it. I highly doubt this will end up being my favorite film by Tarantino, because I simply cannot fathom something better than Pulp Fiction.
  • About three quarters through the movie, I finally checked the time. "Holy crap!" I thought, "This movie is taking forever... eh well, I'd stay seated if it was five hours long!"

And then I paused...

No long movie, be it Lord of the Rings or even the Dark Knight has ever made me think that.
  • I wouldn't have gone to see the movie in the theater if I hadn't been going with someone else. I would have missed a great movie. I think this may be my favorite QT movie. But then, I am not a fan of the Kill Bill movies.

The movie is long and involves a LOT of dialogue, but the dialogue is very skillfully executed. I don't think some of the others in our theater understood what was going on. They were complaining (during the movie...kill kill kill) that the movie was too slow. It was actually one of the most tense scenes in the whole movie!

I was definitely highly satisfied by the ending. Heeheeheehee.
  • I like Tarantino's movies, but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan. This is probably my favorite out of all his work because I think he's finally at the point where the dialog and direction, while still very distinct in style, no longer feel forced. Maybe I've finally just adapted to his kind of movie. Pitt is hilarious, and Waltz deserves huge praise for his performance. I became a die hard Nazi fan after that first scene with him.
  • I became a die hard Nazi fan
    Wouldn't go spreading that around, friend.
    They've got some pretty slick uniforms, I'll give them that.
    Too bad they can take them off.
    There's a way to circumvent that problem.
    Nail guns?
    Nail guns?
    Watch the movie.
  • edited August 2009
    I still contend that that scene was unrealistic for the following reasons:

1) Blood was too translucent. it looked like water with drops of red food coloring recently added and not well-mixed.

2) Your forehead has some pretty hard bone behind it. I don't think it would squish that way.

Is it a sign that I'm desensitized and/or vindictive (or psychotic) when everyone in the theater is gasping and I am analyzing the mechanics of the scene?

Don't quote this post, dudes. It will make the semi-spoilers above readable.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Alright, so I just got back from seeing it a few hours ago. The "king kong" scene goes down in history as some of Tarantino's best dialog and quotes.

I liked the ending a lot. Actually pretty much every fight scene was sweet. I'm just glad that Tarantino movies are the type of movies that balance the action with the dialog and showing backstories of characters.
  • I tensed up every time Waltz drank milk, it was brilliant, plus the actor is amazingly good linguistically easily moving from German, to French and English.
    The tension and the outcome of the Rendevous at the French Tavern.

The Hugo Stiglitz back story was great.

I was hoping for a bit more acting wise from Eli Roth (The Bear Jew), I can't imagine that Tarantino was actually looking to get Adam Sandler to play this role.

Anyone notice the CG cows?
    I still contend that that scene was unrealistic for the following reasons
    Yes but:

There is subcutaneous fat behind the layer of the skin. Underneath that is a surprising layer of connective tissue and muscle.
    Now if you were not using a super sharp, thin blade like a scalpel, cutting something that can make sudden slight movements and making a right angled incision - I guess the prongs of the Swastika, you may cause the skin to become flappy as shown in the film.
    Or if you were to undermine the skin slightly.

However this is Hollywood, it was rubber, I gave it a pass, the bleed would also be quite substantial and the sweat wouldn't be enough to dilute it.
  • I've never seen anyone drink a glass of milk in such a confrontational fashion in any other movie.
    When he ordered Shoshanna the glass of milk in the restaurant, I almost wet myself.
  • edited August 2009
    I still contend that that scene was unrealistic for the following reasons:
    Well, of course it was unrealistic to an extent, but:

Given that the skin of the forehead is stretched relatively tightly over the frontal bone of the skull, and is anchored to some fairly strong muscle and connective tissue, the forehead flesh is somewhat like thick shrink wrap. Think of what happens when you cut the plastic from a tightly sealed package of meat; the plastic wrap curls up and pulls away from the cut. Also, they didn't do a perfect swastika; each terminus of the swastika extends a little past its connecting arm, somewhat like this: ------|- When you make that sort of incision on the skin, all the edges around the cut shrink back. On skin as tightly stretched as the forehead, it would appear very pronounced.

And as sk0pe pointed out, the forehead flesh is thicker than it looks or feels.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • easily moving from German, to French and English.
    And Italian! That scene made me laugh because my friend pointed out that he was speaking Italian, even though I've taken 4 years of Italian and should've picked up on it easier. But I just liked how he caught them off guard.