This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090824 - What If * Were Open Source?

edited August 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss what would happen if various closed systems became open source. In the news, Wikipedia is going to start being more editorial, and parking meters suck.

Rym's Thing - Tech Support Cheat Sheet
Scott's Thing - Dirty Coding Tricks

Comments

• Oh mans,
    static char buffer[1024*1024*2];
  • What's wrong with putting money in parking meters? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • What's wrong with putting money in parking meters? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    So, I need an individual parking meter per parking space, along with all of the maintenance, let alone administrative costs, of all these devices? I need to hire people to physically drive around, collecting heavy coins from them? I need to have parking attendants checking each one to see if the meter was actually paid?

Plus, who ever carries change anymore? Every time I've encountered an old-school parking meter in the last several years, I've had to wander around trying to break a bill to get the necessary change to operate it.

The real problem is that parking meters are being used to solve far deeper and more difficult issues, creating only further problems.
  • Scott -- maybe try yoga? It can range from very mild to quite strenuous, and it's very focused on your breathing. Might be a good way to teach yourself to focus more on your breathing, which could transfer over to other pursuits. Also, yoga just makes you feel awesome.
  • edited August 2009
    Scott -- maybe try yoga? It can range from very mild to quite strenuous, and it's very focused on your breathing. Might be a good way to teach yourself to focus more on your breathing, which could transfer over to other pursuits. Also, yoga just makes you feel awesome.
    Also, you can do it indoors, so you never need leave the comforting glow of your monitors. ^_~
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Scott -- maybe try yoga? It can range from very mild to quite strenuous, and it's very focused on your breathing. Might be a good way to teach yourself to focus more on your breathing, which could transfer over to other pursuits. Also, yoga just makes you feel awesome.
    This might be true. And while Yoga itself is just fine as an exercise, there is a lot of Randi BS that tries to associate itself with Yoga that makes it distasteful.

/hot like a pancake
    This might be true. And while Yoga itself is just fine as an exercise, there is a lot of Randi BS that tries to associate itself with Yoga that makes it distasteful.
    Yes, but you can use it as just an exercise. You don't need to follow any of the Randi BS.
  • This might be true. And while Yoga itself is just fine as an exercise, there is a lot of Randi BS that tries to associate itself with Yoga that makes it distasteful.
    Yeah. But come on, just ignore that stuff. In my experience, it's not even really prevalent. I've gone to a few classes and watched a few videos, and while there's a lot of cringe-and/or-chuckle-worthy sweatpants-and-ponytail stuff, I haven't personally come across anything I'd describe as Randi BS.
  • So, I need an individual parking meter per parking space, along with all of the maintenance, let alone administrative costs, of all these devices? I need to hire people to physically drive around, collecting heavy coins from them? I need to have parking attendants checking each one to see if the meter was actually paid?
    All of these things are problems for the people collecting my money. Every time I have used one of these machines it has taken considerably more time for money to be exchanged. And that's not counting the time it takes to find a working machine that will actually take my money, usually the first one I walk to is broken. While I know they exist, I have never personally come across a broken old stroke meter. Maybe this is because of the simple design of them or they fact that they are easily replaced.
    Plus, who ever carries change anymore? Every time I've encountered an old-school parking meter in the last several years, I've had to wander around trying to break a bill to get the necessary change to operate it.
    My center console is full of quarters just for this purpose (and tolls).
  • (and tolls).
    EZ-Pass. ^_~
  • (and tolls).
    EZ-Pass. ^_~
    That's only in the civilized part of the world... (I.E. Not Ohio)
  • (and tolls).
    EZ-Pass. ^_~
    Like I told Rym when he was talking about Jet Blue not going to Ohio. You're better off just not going to those places at all.
  • EZ-Pass. ^_~
    Maybe they should make an EZ-Park system. A wand you wave by the meter to pay it, but still accept coins for people who don't have it.

As for EZ-Pass, I don't drive on toll roads enough to warrant it. If I was hitting toll plazas daily I would totally get it though.
  • Sound like Scott has something similar to sleep apnoea, only when exerting instead of sleeping. Try to find some info on that and get a doc to check you for apnoea, or whatever it's called.
  • (and tolls).
    EZ-Pass. ^_~
    Like I told Rym when he was talking about Jet Blue not going to Ohio. You're better off just not going to those places at all.
    C'mon, guys. We have a skyscraper. I mean, it doesn't really scrape the sky, but it's big, like 100 feet tall. We built it out of arrowheads and lake sludge. We even have a subway that kind of goes underground a few feet and then becomes an outside tram. Don't ride it, though. Seriously. Don't.
  • It could be exercise induced asthma.
  • I am an indigo child. I am reading your mind.....dear god help me.....they just don't make water hot enough...ayyyyyyeee.

Sorry, it had to be done.
  • EZ-Pass. ^_~
    Maybe they should make an EZ-Park system. A wand you wave by the meter to pay it, but still accept coins for people who don't have it.

As for EZ-Pass, I don't drive on toll roads enough to warrant it. If I was hitting toll plazas daily I would totally get it though.
    I paid for parking at Newark Airport with my EZ-Pass, so there are systems like that around.
  • What we need is some kind of multiple use pass..
  • See, he set that up far too obviously. -1 for taking the easy bait.
  • What we need is some kind of multiple use pass..
    Dare I say...a Multi-Pass?
  • This might be true. And while Yoga itself is just fine as an exercise, there is a lot of Randi BS that tries to associate itself with Yoga that makes it distasteful.
    I was going to recommend Yoga, like funfetus. You just have to find the right place, that focuses more on the athletic-relaxation part of it than the "it cures stuff because of chakras" part. Also, Tai-chi has breathing stuff and it's not nearly as hardcore as kung-fu. You could also run with me. I can teach you breathing rhythms while we jog around the block. You match the breathing pattern to the beat of your feet.
    I was going to recommend Yoga, like funfetus. You just have to find the right place, that focuses more on the athletic-relaxation part of it than the "it cures stuff because of chakras" part. Also, Tai-chi has breathing stuff and it's not nearly as hardcore as kung-fu. You could also run with me. I can teach you breathing rhythms while we jog around the block. You match the breathing pattern to the beat of your feet.
    Don't forget that yoga is also a place to meet teh ladies.
  • Kung Fu, Scott. Kung Fu. You don't have to punch yourself in the stomach nearly as much as I suggested previously.
  • Don't forget that yoga is also a place to meet teh ladies.
    They all wear yoga pants, at the very least.
  • Kung Fu, Scott. Kung Fu.
    I think he needs to start off slow, Rym. Martial arts are pretty hardcore.
  • edited August 2009
    Don't forget that yoga is also a place to meet teh ladies.
    They all wear yoga pants, at the very least.
    What is so great about yoga pants? They are just baggy pants made out of a thin knit material. Are they especially attractive for some reason?

Every yoga class I have ever been to doesn't dive into any Randi issues. The poses have some flowery names and they use certain visualizations to help you breath more deeply or do a pose correctly, but there isn't anything mystical even hinted at. The silly Namaste greeting and parting is no more or less BS-ey than saying Shalom when you meet someone or part from them.
    Seriously, Scott, try yoga or pilates. I bet that you will like it.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited August 2009
    What is so great about yoga pants? They are just baggy pants made out of a think knit material. Are they especially attractive for some reason?
    This particular type of yoga pant is quite flattering of the buttocks.

Though there is also the possibility that I have fetishized loose pants, because also find the less tight-about-the-stern yoga-trousers attractive.

And, for the record, I'm with Mrs. Macross on the subject of Yoga. It's the perfect kind of exercise for anyone who's been out of shape for a very long time.
    Post edited by Walker on