This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090826 - Bokurano Review and Final Thoughts

edited August 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review Bokurano, and then give our final thoughts. Scott does a GeekByte about Annihilation: Classic, specifically Rocket Raccoon. Also, the New York Anime Festival is coming up very soon. The DragonBall MMORGP is coming. Oshii is working on a new movie. Naruto is #1 in Japan as well as the US.

Comments

• I realize Gurren Lagann is an homage. That was the intention of the show. However, starting at about episode 20, the action grows ridiculous. If you don't enjoy blatant action with increasingly (and purposefully) stupid explanations, though...Then you won't like it, and you're probably good with your older shows. I will hopefully watch them at some point...
  • Damnit, I just wanted to go to bed, and then suddenly a GeekNights episode that's interesting for a change.
  • Apparently (and I don't know if it was mentioned on the show or not) Yoshiyuki Tomino is going to be at the NYAF.
  • I realize Gurren Lagann is an homage. That was the intention of the show. However, starting at about episode 20, the action grows ridiculous. If you don't enjoy blatant action with increasingly (and purposefully) stupid explanations, though...Then you won't like it, and you're probably good with your older shows. I will hopefully watch them at some point...
    There are very large percentages of Gurren Lagann that are not meant to be taken at all seriously. This includes the "increasingly stupid" explanations and relentless action in the end. If you're watching TTGL for serious action with in-depth and logical reasoning behind the robots and the fighting, or to provoke any substantial thought, you are going to be a very sad viewer.

I watched Bokurano because I'd felt like watching something in contrast to my usual roster of cheerful and uplifting anime. It turned out to be a really good choice. I was also watching it at any moment I got the chance. I gotta say though, Ushiro's death/the climax sorta disappointed me. It just didn't feel quite as powerful as I had been expecting, given the sheer emotional weight I'd felt with the passing of the other children.

I like listening to you guys review series like this in depth. You should do it more often.
    edited August 2009
    with in-depth and logical reasoning behind the robots
    It's a super robot show, not a real robot show, thus
    you are [...] a very sad viewer
    @Rym, just because Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann pays a lot of homage to the great old robot shows out there, doesn't make it not good. It just gives those who have watched those old shows little nudges like "Hey, remember that show?", whereas those who haven't watched all that's paid homage to, now have a driving force to also check out those older awesome shows. Also, Clarissa, Gerald, Dave and Joel liked the show iirc. Also, what ep are you on now? Are you actually making progress?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Also, Clarissa, Gerald, Dave and Joel liked the show iirc.
    Yeah, I was talking to Gerald about it. We seem to agree that the show is good, but not great, and that people are unduly excited about it. He gets the impression that a lot of people like it for very different reasons from why he likes it himself.

It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but I'd be hard pressed to call it great.
  • Also, Clarissa, Gerald, Dave and Joel liked the show iirc.
    Yeah, I was talking to Gerald about it. We seem to agree that the show is good, but not great, and that people are unduly excited about it. He gets the impression that a lot of people like it for very different reasons from why he likes it himself.

It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but I'd be hard pressed to call it great.
    Eh. It does get overhyped. But the last many episodes are highly amusing due to their over the top action. At one point (not really a spoiler), Leeron points out that they are going to blatantly disregard Planck's Time Constant. It made me laugh.
  • It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but I'd be hard pressed to call it great.
    Understandable. The last thing I saw was the first film, and it, like the first half of the TV series, is good. The last half of the TV series is what makes the show great imho, just because it says "Fuck it. Let's go." and goes. Kinda like Gunbuster, first half good, and then goes great.
  • It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but I'd be hard pressed to call it great.
    The last half of the TV series is what makes the show great imho, just because it says "Fuck it. Let's go." and goes. Kinda like Gunbuster, first half good, and then goes great.
    I totally agree with this.
  • A crime is that you guys are all talking about Gurren Lagann but your not talking about Bukurano proof that Gonzo can make a good show occasionally.
  • Bukurano proof that Gonzo can make a good show occasionally.
    Dude - Afro Samurai.
  • A crime is that you guys are all talking about Gurren Lagann but your not talking about Bukurano proof that Gonzo can make a good show occasionally.
    I just downloaded Bokurano, so I will probably watch it sometime over the next week weeks. Give me time.
  • It's funny how Gurren Lagann and Bokurano are polar opposites when it comes to theme, atmosphere, and mood.
    Too few people have watched Bokurano, is too easily spoiled, and lacks quotable lines and hotbloodedness, whereas TTGL is the opposite. As to talk about Bokurano, I haven't seen that show in quite a while now, but I loved the episode about the guy with the pillow as seat.
  • I might point out my earlier attempt to comment on Bokurano, which was entirely ignored... ::whistle::
  • Alright, in 2008, the top selling manga in Japan was One Piece.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-02/2008-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series

This year, so far?
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-06-15/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/1st-half-of-2009

More One Piece.

Sorry, just had to say it, huge One Piece fan. When I heard that one piece was "no where in the top 10" I couldn't help but think, "No... no that does not sound right." I'm suspecting the list Rym was using was a comic-ranking for a certain month or week, which isn't fair as a whole month can go by where Bleach and Naruto may put out a new graphic novel, while One Piece doesn't have enough material for the next.

Anyway, much love for One Piece. Far more over Naruto and Bleach.
  • Anyway, much love for One Piece. Far more over Naruto and Bleach.
    They're all the same. ^_~
    I would have to disagree. One Piece has humor and better writing, and was far more planned out. Naruto is being made up as the writer goes along, and Bleach is even worse.
    I'll be honest, I can't tell if you're baiting me, being facetious with the ^_~ face, or if you honestly believe One Piece, one of the funnest and well written (and drawn, for that matter) shounen manga to be released in the last 10 years is as bad as Naruto and Bleach. There's a reason it's selling so incredibly well, it's unbelievably well written and drawn. Oda has so many creative, wonderful ideas for his world and his characters, many of which he has explored in great, terrific detail. I'll admit, the manga starts out slow, but his style of writing, his creativity, and his art are better than Kishimoto and Kubo's combined.
  • [yadedadedadedadedadedadedade-ya]
    >implying One Piece is actually good and not only popular amongst teenaged boys.

A good job at comparing your favoured turd to other, similar turds that also, whilst not yet having run more than a decade, are shounen fighting manga that are being made up as they go along for the past several years, all while each still can be finished within a single volume if the need every arises, but then the mangaka will have to think up something new again to make money. I give your review a 2/2. Though, just accept that it's all the same shit and just enjoy your One Piece.
    I'll be honest, I can't tell if you're baiting me, being facetious with the ^_~ face, or if you honestly believe One Piece, one of the funnest and well written (and drawn, for that matter) shounen manga to be released in the last 10 years is as bad as Naruto and Bleach. There's a reason it's selling so incredibly well, it's unbelievably well written and drawn. Oda has so many creative, wonderful ideas for his world and his characters, many of which he has explored in great, terrific detail. I'll admit, the manga starts out slow, but his style of writing, his creativity, and his art are better than Kishimoto and Kubo's combined.
    Well, Scrym honestly dislike all Shonen manga, and put them on the same level.
    However, as stated in my above post, I disagree.
  • Well, Scrym honestly dislike all shounen manga, and put them on the same level.
    Didn't they like Death Note? A shounen manga.
  • Well, Scrym honestly dislike all shounen manga, and put them on the same level.
    Didn't they like Death Note? A shounen manga.
    Sorry, allow me to append my statement.
    Scrym hates shounen fighting manga.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2009
    Scrym hates neo-shounen fighting manga.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I read a bit of One Piece. I didn't see anything that it had over Bleach or Naruto. I'm not saying this to put down One Piece or people that like it, just stating that it didn't seem to stand apart or above those two other series.
  • I read a bit of One Piece. I didn't see anything that it had over Bleach or Naruto. I'm not saying this to put down One Piece or people that like it, just stating that it didn't seem to stand apart or above those two other series.
    Well, it gets better later, is our point. Namely that things in the beginning actually get fulfilled. Foreshadowing and minor details become relevant hundreds of chapters later. Whereas, in Bleach, foreshadowing is nonexistent, and the creator of Naruto ran out of ideas over a hundred chapters ago, seeing as how his manga has turned into a bad Naruto fanfiction.
  • [yadedadedadedadedadedadedade-ya]
    >implying One Piece is actually good and not only popular amongst teenaged boys.

A good job at comparing your favoured turd to other, similar turds that also, whilst not yet having run more than a decade, are shounen fighting manga that are being made up as they go along for the past several years, all while each still can be finished within a single volume if the need every arises, but then the mangaka will have to think up something new again to make money. I give your review a 2/2. Though, just accept that it's all the same shit and just enjoy your One Piece.
    Just because it's a shounen fighting manga does not automatically make it terrible. To me, and many others, it's still creative, it's still fun, and while you can totally not care for shounen fighting manga, that doesn't mean you can group them all together indescriminately and then act as if you are *right*. Furthermore, I said it's one of the best *shounen* to come out in a long time. I know it doesn't stack up to Monster, Berserk, Bokurano, and many other seinen titles that are more intelligent and mature.

Oh, and real nice lofty attitude you got there.
    Scrym hatesneo-shounen fighting manga.
    Mind if I ask what "neo" indicates? I'm supposing you mean most shounen fighting manga to come out post-Dragonball, hm?
  • Mind if I ask what "neo" indicates? I'm supposing you mean most shounen fighting manga to come out post-Dragonball, hm?
    Daryl Surat did a wonderful panel on it at Otakon. Basically, shounen fighting used to be like Fist of the North Star. Now, it's all like Dragonball/One Piece/Naruto/Bleach.
  • Well, it gets better later, is our point.
    That may very well be, but if a series doesn't stand out from the pack or offer something interesting to begin with, why would I invest my money, time, and patience for a later "pay off" that is fairly obvious from the beginning from heavy handed foreshadowing and formulaic writing? Now, there are some works where the journey and the later pay off are worth it. The tedious and commonplace One Piece doesn't appear to be one of those works from my perspective.
    That being said, I do like my share of trashy or lackluster books, movies, art, music, etc. I have no need to inflate them beyond what they are or be outraged at those that don't enjoy them as I do. I can also separate myself from my base enjoyment of them to look at them objectively in comparison with other pieces in their genre to discuss its relative merits.
  • So has no one else really watched Bokurano?