This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Punk Rock

edited September 2008 in Art!

Any questions?

Discuss punk and post-punk(hardcore, pop, noise, whatever) bands, DIY, and sticking it to the man here.

What I've been into recently: Bomb the Music Industry!, The Clash, Descendents, old Green Day, NOFX

[Edit] I just noticed the Green Day video makes cameo reference to both One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Brazil.

Comments

• My mom listened to punk all through college, so as a result I'm a fan of it. Recently I've been listening to Iggy Pop, The Clash, and The Misfits a lot.

Unrelated to all those bands, my favorite punk song ever is this.

I need to find more Patrick Fitzgerald.
  • By and large, I'm mostly a fan of hardcore punk. Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, and Agnostic Front round out my favorites. I'm also a fan of the Misfits, but then again, so is everyone.

Personally, I say one of punk's greatest contributions is not the music itself, but rather its pervasive contribution to other genres. We wouldn't have anywhere near the variety of heavy metal that we do today if not for the rampant incestuousness between punk and hard rock, and all their subsequent offspring.
  • edited September 2008
    I grew up on punk rock. I was in a punk band for for about 6 years, and we used to play a lot of clubs and parties and whatnot. That was a lot of fun. Listen here, if you want.

As far as bands, I was mostly into LA/OC stuff like Black Flag, X, The Germs, Adolescents, D.I., Social D, etc., and a lot of British stuff like The Clash, The Damned, the Sex Pistols, GBH, Crass, Conflict, Rudimentary Peni, Subhumans, etc. Also, the Misfits, of course...Minor Threat, Bad Brains. Also, some Oi! like The Business, Cockney Rejects, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Cock Sparrer. Whatever. A lot of stuff. It was pretty much all I listened to for about 10 years. As a result, I'm not listening to a whole lot of punk these days. Every once in a while, though, I put some on and remember why I used to like it.

It's weird seeing what stuff holds up now that I'm older, and what doesn't. Turns out most of the "OMGZ it's so underground and obscure and punk rock that no one's ever heard of it" stuff was obscure for a reason. :) And bands I never gave a lot of credit to when I was younger, like the Sex Pistols, are actually really great.

edit: The Whale Shark swooped on me and threw in the Misfits, Bad Brains and Minor Thread. Personally, I was never into Agnostic Front... But as for the Misfits: Elvis vocals, Doo-whop harmonies, B-horror-movie-lyrics, and stupid costumes, all set to sloppy punk rock. If you can't find something to like about the Misfits, your soul is broken.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • If you can't find something to like about the Misfits, your soul is broken.
    Their awesomeness aside, they're also one of the most influential modern rock bands in history. Almost every hard rock oriented band today owes part of their sound to the Misfits.
  • edited September 2008
    Almost every hard rock oriented band today owes part of their sound to the Misfits.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Can you give me some examples? In my opinion, the only thing the Misfits did that wasn't already being done in punk was the vocal style, and I don't hear a lot of hard rock bands pulling that stuff these days.
  • You know how I know I'm old? I'm too burned out for punk. Now mostly I listen to soothing things that help me relax. :)
  • I used to listen to a lot of punk. Now almost all of the stuff I listen to is classic rock and techno.
  • I quite like punk, but I always feel kind of bad about it, because, you know, I find it hard to be extreme and I don't pay attention to the fashion or anything. I just listen to the music sometimes. Anyway, in terms of bands, I would cite shit like Angry Samoans, Dead Kennedys obv, Circle Jerks. Things like that I guess. In terms of more modern stuff the only band I would point out is The Spits, saw a show of theirs recently and had a really awesome time.
  • find it hard to be extreme and I don't pay attention to the fashion or anything. I just listen to the music sometimes.
    As a member in good standing of the International Punk Rock Council, I must insist that you refrain from listening to any more punk rock until you get yourself a pair of bondage pants and kick out the windshield of a cop car.
  • find it hard to be extreme and I don't pay attention to the fashion or anything. I just listen to the music sometimes.
    As a member in good standing of the International Punk Rock Council, I must insist that you refrain from listening to any more punk rock until you get yourself a pair of bondage pants and kick out the windshield of a cop car.
    Nooooooo! Dammit, this is what I was afraid of.

Will report back in after bondage pants bought, police assaulted.
  • Almost every hard rock oriented band today owes part of their sound to the Misfits.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Can you give me some examples? In my opinion, the only thing the Misfits did that wasn't already being done in punk was the vocal style, and I don't hear a lot of hard rock bands pulling that stuff these days.
    Well, for starters, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax have all cited them as a big influence. Most every horror-type artist I've ever listened to - Manson, Slipknot, Rob Zombie, etc. - have cited them as a major influence in the development of their theme. Hell, even black metal bands have cited them as an influence. I'd say that the Misfits really helped push forward the theatrical elements of hard rock and associated sub-genres.
  • Most of the bands listed I really love. My ultimate fave is No means No. Their earlier stuff is way punk but they developed their own strange sound after a few albums. I highly suggest them.
  • I'd say that the Misfits really helped push forward the theatrical elements of hard rock and associated sub-genres.
    I'll give you that they had a big influence on the themes and theatricality of hard rock (though wasn't Alice Cooper doing all that stuff way earlier? I'm sure the Misfits were still more relevant to Metallica, though), but you said they were a huge influence on hard rock bands' sound.
  • Let the namedropping commence. I own Albums of the following: The Clash, Dead Kennedys, The Misfits, Millencolin, Goldfinger, Bad Religion, NoFX, Pennywise, The Offspring, Green Day, The Bouncing Souls, Lagwagon, The Boils, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Dance Hall Crashers, Die Ärzte, Wizo, Terrorgruppe, The Vandals, Bombshell Rocks, Die Toten Hosen, Social Distortion, Less than Jake, The Suicide Machines, Rancid, Samiam, Good Riddance, Big D and the Kid's Table, Mustard Plug, Agent Orange, The Ramones, Rise Against, Donots and a whole lot more that currently won't pop into my head.

It should also be noted that The Misfits laid almost the entire foundation for the genre that is known as Psychobilly which mostly fuses Rockabilly tunes with horror motives in the lyrics.
  • I've been really into Mika Miko, No Age, Abe Vigoda, and other L.A. based punk bands lately that have been coming out of The Smell.
  • edited August 2009
    So, having dropped pretty much completely out of the punk scene for a long time now, I'm starting to get a hankering to check out some new punk bands. I really have no idea where to start looking, though -- whenever I hear about some new punk band that sounds interesting, it usually ends up being some kind of pop garbage. So I'm looking for suggestions. I posted the sort of stuff I like earlier. Pretty much the only newer punk band I'm listening to these days is Against Me!, but their last album sucked.

EDIT: By "pop garbage", I mean the sort of stuff that comes from the NOFX lineage. Bad Religion (pre-90s) went about as far in that direction as I'm willing to follow. But I don't mean that it has to be super hardcore. I mean, I like the Buzzcocks.
  • Distillers, Rancid, Transplants and @ the drive in are the only ones I ever listen to anymore.
  • I always liked Randid, but I never listened to most of their albums after ...And Out Come The Wolves. I should check that out.
  • I always liked Randid, but I never listened to most of their albums after ...And Out Come The Wolves. I should check that out.
    Yes, you should.
  • edited August 2009
    I will, then. :) However! Out of the Rancid stuff I know, aside from both of their self-titled albums, I wouldn't actually consider it punk. Let's Go and ...And Out Come The Wolves are clearly rock and roll records. I love them, but I don't think they're really punk rock.
  • edited August 2009
    Ewww, I so do not dig new Rancid. ...And Out Come The Wolves is where I draw the line with them.

One my favorite bands at the moment is Bomb The Music Industry. They're pretty straight punk and hardcore with a bit of a ska-core edge. All their albums are pay-what-you-want, so have at. Other than that, most of the new punk I find interesting these days is all dreamy noise punk stuff like No Age, which is probably not the sort of thing you're looking for. I also listen to copious amounts of ska-punk, but that's probably nothing you're interested in, either. Arrogant Sons of Bitches is pretty aggressive ska, so maybe you'd like something there. There's some decent post-hardcore out there like pre-Alchemy Index Thrice and early Fall of Tory. Really, it's very hard to find a straight "punk band" these days because punk has infused itself with so many other genres. Alkaline Trio is pretty plain punk, but I can't really recommend them. They're a lot better than your average Warped Tour garbage, though, so I dunno. I hope this helped something.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I hope this helped something.
    I'll check out the bands you mentioned. But, you know, I guess I'm not necessarily looking for straight punk, now that I think of it. Like I said, Against Me! is about the only newer punk band I'm listening to these days, and they have a big folk influence. I guess I'm looking for something that's more of a spiritual descendant of the sort of punk I grew up on. It's actually hard to say what I'm looking for. I'm a lot more sure about what I'm not looking for. :)

I will keep researching, and report back on my findings.
  • This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb are an awesome, recent folk-punk band.

• Fuck it, I give up. Punk is clearly over. I'm just gonna listen to old Oi! bands all day. :)
  • Fuck it, I give up. Punk is clearly over. I'm just gonna listen to old Oi! bands all day. :)
    I might catch flack for this, but I've always believed that punk died almost immediately after it was born. Sure, there were some underground remnants left that managed to persist, but the rebellious attitude is so easy to commercialize that "real" punk was very quickly eclipsed by commercialized, mainstream punk.

What do you punk fans think? I'll admit straight up that I never got into punk much at all, except for a little dabbling in hardcore, so my perspective is definitely that of an outsider.
  • edited August 2009
    I think it's dead. It's remnants are Hot Topic and crap pop punk bands like Blink 182. (They mostly sound the same to me. Like the same singer in all of the bands like that!) Now there are still people who cling to the old bands, DIY looks and start punk houses, but it's more like a tribute to a time.

Also thanks to this thread I'm back into Rancid. I was way into them years ago and now I'm re-downloading their stuff. I lost it all in a crash I had way back.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited August 2009
    but the rebellious attitude is so easy to commercialize that "real" punk was very quickly eclipsed by commercialized, mainstream punk.
    What "commercialized, mainstream punk" bands did you see quickly eclipsing "real" punk? I can't think of any of that stuff really coming around until the early- to mid-90s, and that's a good 15 years in.

Anyway -- punk was always clearly a largely underground scene. When the first British band started showing up in the late 70s, they got a lot of mainstream attention, but that was over pretty quickly. I think that was when punk started to come into its own. A lot of really interesting stuff happened for a good long time. You didn't get the SoCal scene until like 79 or 80, and the East coast hardcore scene until even later than that. Then there was Oi!, the UK82 sound, crust, etc. When I say that "punk is over", it's not some romantic notion that its been co-opted by the mainstream (and it's kinda facetious, anyway) -- I couldn't care less. The local scene had all the "real" punk rock I could ever want, regardless of what was on Mtv. My point is just that within the musical framework of what *I* consider punk, everything's kinda been done. Anything interesting to be done now won't really be recognizable as punk. And there's nothing wrong with that.

So in closing, here's a song that epitomizes the idealism of 17-year-old Brandon's punk scene. In a lot of ways, it was exactly like this. In a lot of ways, it was really shitty, too. :)
  • edited August 2009
    It's remnants are Hot Topic...
    Hot Topic is NOT punk rock!

I also don't think that Punk Rock is dead, though I am noticing that it has been some time since I discovered a band I really liked but that is probably mostly because I haven't been listening to too much music recently.

Recent additions to my album collection (mostly bought in physical form):
    Rancid - Let the Dominoes Fall
    NoFX - Coaster
    The Misfits - Collection I
    Flogging Molly - Float
    The Vandals - Hollywood Potato Chip
    Mad Caddies - Quality Soft Core
    Randy - Rand the Band
    No Fun At All - Out of Bounds
    Frau Doktor - Wer mich leiden kann kommt mit (german ska)
    Warped Tour 2008 Compilation
    Warped Tour 2009 Compilation
    Die Ärzte - Nach Uns die Sintflut (german punk as well as various styles mixed in)
    Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights
    Dropkick Murphys - Live at St. Patrick's Day
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Hot Topic
    Fun fact: I worked for two years at the Hot Topic corporate office. My desk was like 15 feet away from the owner of the company's. I actually designed a couple of t-shirts and folders for them. It was a pretty good place to work, for a while.
  • My point is just that within the musical framework of what *I* consider punk, everything's kinda been done. Anything interesting to be done now won't really be recognizable as punk. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Yup yup.

Yet, going back to what WhaleShark was talking about, I feel like punk is living on through all these punk hybrid genres. The experimentation and innovation seems to still carry the true spirit of what punk is about. But, then again, I'm still young :)