This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekRooms

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
I feel sad for people in dorms. I've seen a lot of college kids' rooms, and they are either messy or bland. That's why I want to start this thread about GeekRooms. What do your rooms look like? I'd assume bedrooms, but any room that you practice your geekeries in is fine. Here is my bedroom now:

The Book CaseThe Front WallPanorama 2Panorama 1

In my room: All of my worldly possessions, including
-Katana
-Shinai
-Futon Couch/Bed
-Desktop that faces said futon, running Winxp and Gentoo
-Laptop, running Winxp and OSX
-Staircase-style shelves made of cardboard boxes. Yes, the top one is my hat shelf.
-Electric Guitar
-Acoustic Guitar
-Keyboard
-Violin
-Bookshelf, with separate sections for
a) Fantasy, arranged by awesomeness
b) Sci-Fi, arranged alpha by author
c) Classics, arranged alpha by author
d) Non-Fiction, arranged by subject (game theory texts are next to Burning Wheel books)
e) Manga/Comics, arranged by series
f) Recent Fiction, nominally arranged by author. This small section is comprised primarily of Bakker, Gaiman, and Murakami.
-Rug of Softness (the best purchase I have ever made)
-A few posters and such. More when I find some thumbtacks.

Sorry for the strangeness of some of the pictures. The lighting is terrible, and two are digital panoramas.

Comments

• *sigh* I'm in between apartments right now. My last apartment was awesome and set up in a fashion to fulfill my geek heart. I will be moving in November and will post pics then.
  • edited September 2008
    On my bookshelf, I have:
    • The Alphabet of Manliness
    • Battle Royale
    • Fables 1-5
    • The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    • The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom
    • The Imagineering Field Guide to EPCOT
    • The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom
    • Scott Pilgrim 1-4
    • Sin City 1,2, and 4
    • V for Vendetta
    • Watchmen
    • The Zombie Survival Guide
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited September 2008
    Full 360 degree view with points of interest:

-Gir poster
    -5th place, CFJ Nationals
    -Gnome home
    -Fillerbunny in a capsule
    -Knots with labels in German
    -Wooden sword from the Renaissance Faire
    -Anime
    -Recording equipment
    -New Getter Robo bandanna
    -Computer
    -Pokedex
    -Napoleon Dynamite
    -Squeaky Spooky
    -Papercrafts
    -Comedy of Errors poster
    -Bed
    -Miscellaneous junk pile
    -Epiphone Les Paul Jr.
    -Musicman Stingray case
    -Michael Kelly Firefly acoustic bass, in case
    -Squier Affinity P-bass, hanging in gig bag
    -Mini accordion
    -Small darbuka hand drum
    -Manga
    -Musicman Stingray 4
    -Fender Rumble 15 practice amp
    -Original Gameboy
    -Metronome
    -Chromatic tuner
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Oh boy, time to break out the camera!
  • This room is my place near my University and I've only been in it a week or so. I apologise for the bad photos, they were taking on my mobile phone, which is getting on a bit these days.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

things of note:
    Various film posters, Woman in Games poster (I helped out with the event), Pile of old vinyl I'm sorting out (record player not seen), DS in grey case, PC running XP with the lovely Christina Ricci on the wallpaper, Pens, pencils, various art stuff, books/DVDs, A Fraggle (seen better days), Bass guitar, Hand made calendar, 70's curtains.

That's about it!
  • ...A Fraggle...
    You are totally awesome.
  • Foofly, I love the color of your bass. I want to say it looks like an Ibanez, but I can't tell.
  • edited September 2008
    My room is a pigsty, but I've got nothing better to do.

-Pile of crappy board games
    -Books I haven't read yet, and some I need top dump on someone
    -Last year's Halloween costume
    -TKD trophies, a few of them are my brother's
    -My black belt
    -Random crap, much of it broken

-Ludwig brand drum set with G2 coated heads, cheap Sabien cymbals and a $50 snare.
    -A Scott Campbell "indie island" print, signed with a little Raz drawing on it
    -Bins of LEGO bricks
    -Some Airsoft guns and, for some reason, a PlayStation controller
    -More random, probably broken crap

And... that's it. I plan on eventually knocking out the wall that forms my closet so I can have room to build some sort of recording studio-ish area. Although, before that I should probably get rid of all the old shit that's laying around.

As a bonus, and because it's where most of the geekery gets done, this is my computer area.

It is also, as you can see, cluttered and covered in junk. :P
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Sleeping room:
    Photobucket

Working and experimenting room:
    work
  • You guys are such geeks (compliment). YAY I found people just like me ^_^!

I'll post pics of my room once i move a few things. Later!
  • So organized, tech me, organization is not within my reach in these realms.
  • So organized, teach me, organization is not within my reach in these realms.
    I took that picture a few months ago. That day i stood up and felt absolutely great. After reading a book and playing guitar for a bit I decided to clean up my room for once. Don't be mistaken, it looks like a dump at the moment. ^^ And I didn't even picture my bed. ;-)
  • So organized, teach me, organization is not within my reach in these realms.
    I took that picture a few months ago. That day i stood up and felt absolutely great. After reading a book and playing guitar for a bit I decided to clean up my room for once. Don't be mistaken, it looks like a dump at the moment. ^^ And I didn't even picture my bed. ;-)
    Lol. 2 days ago a threw away a huge pile of paper and useless junk that always builds back up on my desk in a couple of weeks. I wish those things would never come!
  • Foofly, I love the color of your bass. I want to say it looks like an Ibanez, but I can't tell.
    Nah, I wish it was. It's a cherry red Crafter of some sort. I want a new one, but being a student tends to hit you in the wallet.
  • YoshoKatana's guitar looks a lot like a Ibanez. Or maybe a Jackson..
  • @ sucrilhos:
    I have that same P4P800-SE box floating around my workbench. How long did yours last before the northbridge died?
  • @ sucrilhos:
    I have that same P4P800-SE box floating around my workbench. How long did yours last before the northbridge died?
    Ah men, I got 3 of those laying around here from different people. All of them are about between 2 and 3 years old I think.
    Talk about a time bomb.
  • I just moved back into a dorm, so I have some new pictures to post here!
    Before anyone asks, the bowling ball is the case to my copy of The Big Lebowski (which is actually what is playing on the TV).
    These shelves will be filled with figures and two more plushies (a Tonberry and Chocobo) after I visit home in October. The Jenga set on the shelf with the books will hopefully be put to good use with some games of Dread (if I can convince my friends to experiment with role playing).
  • Looking back on these pictures makes me sad how plain and boring my room is now that I've cleaned it out :(
  • I've spent the afternoon re-arranging my bedroom/office; clearing out the ex-girlfriend's stuff, spreading my computer and music stuff out across the entire desk, etc. For some reason I seem to have collected 8 external hard drives.

Actually, I just spent most of the evening playing NS.
  • Actually, I just spent most of the evening playing NS.
    YES!
  • YES!
    We are playing some fucking games this weekend. NS, L4D, Civ IV: I don't care what.
  • Here's "my" studio -- technically, I share it with my girlfriend, but in practice, she never does anything in here, so it's all mine. It's pretty plain -- I've never been much for decoration. Pretty much just my desk, and my bookshelves.
  • YES!
    We are playing some fucking games this weekend. NS, L4D, Civ IV: I don't care what.
    I can has NS plz?
  • @Li_Akahi-You got the Metroid Prime Trilogy poster! Lucky...I didn't get either of the promised pre-order bonuses. I'm pretty ticked. That poster is so cool.
  • I'll have to post some dorm pics when I move in. I have a bunch of posters in my room that I've been waiting to use in the dorm. Also, I might stock up on some plushies or figures for my shelves at Matsuricon this weekend.
  • I'll have to post some dorm pics when I move in. I have a bunch of posters in my room that I've been waiting to use in the dorm.
    Heh, funny you say that. Exact same thing for me.
  • Oh shit, I love these kinds of threads. I'll post pics but most of my stuff is sort of spread out over 3 rooms.
  • I'm moving into a new apartment tomorrow. I'll post some pics of it once its all setup.
  • I'll be moving into a new apartment in Rochacha on the 30th (hopefully!). I'll post pics when I decorate it.