This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Forums, I Place My Stomach in Your Hands

edited August 2009 in Everything Else
So, I'll be going to the Great New York State Fair this weekend. Fairs are a great place to consume large quantities of incredibly delicious and terribly unhealthy food, and the New York State Fair is one of the biggest damn fairs around.

A coworker of mine already went, and told me about the GREATEST CATERING ESTABLISHMENT EVER.

In short, this place advertised a large list of various fried foods, and then advertised something that I can only describe as "reckless:"

"If you bring it, we'll fry it."

Clearly, my only recourse is to pick a food item, have it fried, take pictures, and post them. It only makes sense. So I'm turning to you, the FRC Forums, for guidance in selecting the food item that I want to fry. Remember, "If you bring it, we'll fry it." Go to it.

Comments

• Badgers. Roadkill badgers.
  • Badgers. Roadkill badgers.
    OK, no roadkill.

If I can find haggis anywhere, I'll totally do it.
  • Scott Rubin.
  • Scott Rubin.
    I concur.
  • They aren't really exotic in any way, but I loves me some deep-fried pickles.
  • I am assuming they will coat whatever you bring with batter first. Usually funnel cake batter.
    I've seen pickles, eaten Oreos (the cookie part turned very creamy when fried in batter), and heard the story of the pizza on the boardwalk... I think the next thing may be (a slice of) Chocolate cake? Make a Monte Cristo and let them fry it? Pork chops?
    Silly one: Edible underwear.
  • You could deep fry some cheese that isn't mozzarella. I'm not sure how blue would hold up but a smoked gouda or a munster could be good.

OR You could deep fry a Slim Jim and pepperoni. :D

I suggest bringing your own defibrillator if you choose to go the second route.
  • Dude, Mars Bars. Hell yes Mars bars.

Oooh, and Jam Sandwiches.
  • edited August 2009
    Scott Rubin.
    The sedentary lifestyle of the Scott Rubin leads to the formation of a thin, hidden layer of fat. In the hands of a skilled chef, this can be exploited to produce an exquisite crispness, which brings out the unique flavour of the Scott Rubin in its fullness.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    There's a vendor who's usually at these things: Spacey Tracy's Pickles. Not only does she make her own (amazing) pickles, she also deep fries them at fairs and such. They're the most amazing things ever.
  • Ice cream. It can be done.
    There's a vendor who's usually at these things: Spacey Tracy's Pickles. Not only does she make her own (amazing) pickles, she also deep fries them at fairs and such. They're the most amazing things ever.
    Here's the litmus test: Does she serve them whole, in spears, or in chips?
  • You could deep fry one of your cupcakes.
  • Deep-fried fruit, possibly?
    Since I will be there with you, can I try whatever you fry?
  • Strawberries?
  • Deep-fried fruit, possibly?
    Here's the thing -- I rarely like fruit and vegetables on their own. But deep fry either and I prefer them to a deep-fried confection. For example, I'd rather have deep-fried green beans (they are amazing) than, say, the deep-fried Milky Way bar I had a couple of weeks ago at another fair. Deep-fried onions, broccoli, corn on the cob, apples, and such are some of the best tastes I've experienced.
  • A Bacon Explosion.
    You are my new hero.
  • edited August 2009
    imagefrom here, brought up by some Googling.
  • You could deep fry one of your cupcakes.
    I was planning on making those, actually.

This might be the best idea yet.

Well, OK, the Bacon Explosion is the "best" idea so far, but the cupcakes stand a chance of actually tasting good.
  • edited August 2009
    Bacon not tasting good? Blasphemy!
    Besides, frying Scott Rubin was a better idea.
  • I rarely like fruit and vegetables on their own.
    Now that is blasphemy. While fruits and veggies are great deep-fried (and you are absolutely correct that green bean fries are fantastic), they are even better on their own.
  • I rarely like fruit and vegetables on their own.
    Now that is blasphemy. While fruits and veggies are great deep-fried (and you are absolutely correct that green bean fries are fantastic), they are even better on their own.
    Sorry, dear. I'm a corn, beans, and squash guy. Unless it's specially prepared (and most times not even then), other veggies just don't appeal to me in any way.
  • Did you eat a lot of veggies and fruit when you were young? I only ask because I have encountered others that dislike them (plain or otherwise) and almost all of them didn't eat a wide variety of fruit and veg often throughout their youth.
  • Did you eat a lot of veggies and fruit when you were young? I only ask because I have encountered others that dislike them (plain or otherwise) and almost all of them didn't eat a wide variety of fruit and veg often throughout their youth.
    I ate a lot of corns, beans, and squash when I was young, so your hypothesis is dead on.
  • Besides, frying Scott Rubin was a better idea.
    Lo, thou shalt not advocate cannibalism on these forums!

Besides, he's be too tough. He has no fat.

There's still time to get him nicely fattened up.

There's still time to get him nicely fattened up.
    A Bacon Explosion.