This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Disney to buy Marvel

edited August 2009 in Everything Else
HO LEE SHIT

Comments

• Other than raise stock prices, what will this mean for Marvel?
  • Whoa. So now the two big comics companies are both owned by huge media companies. Disney is probably looking at Marvel as strictly an IP farm, which is probably Warner Bros. only real interest in DC as well.
  • edited August 2009
    SWEET! I've been waiting years for a Batman/Darkwing Duck cross over!!!

EDIT: OK, I know Batman is DC but I still think it's a funny idea.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • edited August 2009
    Never mind me.
    Post edited by Adelbert on
    edited August 2009
    Disney ran out of ideas to steal and now wants to take part in the comic book film profits? Not that unexpected.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I foresee a number of PG-13 rated comic book movies. I also foresee this glutting the market just like what happened to the gaming industry in the Atari days... ^_~
  • edited August 2009
    I foresee a number of PG-13 rated comic book movies. I also foresee this glutting the market just like what happened to the gaming industry in the Atari days... ^_~
    Isn't it already glutted? There's going to be an Ant Man movie for fuck's sake.

By the way, Marvel's stock is up 26 percent this morning on the announcement.

Also, I fear that in a darkened basement in Delaware a pimple-addled thirty-something nerd has already started working on the Princess Jasmine/Dark Phoenix lesbian fanfic.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • This can't be good...Modern Disney ruins everything...
  • edited August 2009
    I wonder to what extent Disney is going to take creative control of anything. This strikes me as an "Iron Man did well, let's sit back and collect money" sort of situation. At least, I hope it is. Not that I'm terribly invested in what Marvel Comics does, but it'd be nice if Disney didn't screw up the American comics industry any more than it already is.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • it'd be nice if Disney didn't screw up the American comics industry any more than it already is.
    Disney has the clout and money to tell Diamond to stfu and gbtw. If Disney wanted to, they could force the American comic industry into a whole new era, bring back the Ducks in force, push everything into trades, get comics into stores, etc...

They won't, but they could.
  • edited August 2009
    it'd be nice if Disney didn't screw up the American comics industry any more than it already is.
    Disney has the clout and money to tell Diamond to stfu and gbtw. If Disney wanted to, they could force the American comic industry into a whole new era, bring back the Ducks in force, push everything into trades, get comics into stores, etc...

Yeah, that's true. But there's no one in Disney who cares, unfortunately. At least, not anyone who's in charge.
    Edit: Wait a minute, four billion dollars! WTF! Companies can spend billions buying each other, this economy is so screwed up...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited August 2009
    Definitely. The money from actually selling comic books is a such a pittance to Disney that it wouldn't be worth it to even try. They're just going to sit back on their fat new IP library, and let people keep churning out comics to raid for movie scripts. Actually, that might be the best-case scenario -- with a huge corporate sugar-daddy who didn't care about sales figures, they could actually put their efforts toward creating interesting stories, rather than a new giant crossover event every few months to boost numbers. But I don't read them anyway, so I don't care too much. :)
    But there's no one in Disney who cares, unfortunately. At least, not anyone who's in charge.
    I don't know -- you never know who might be a huge comics dork.
  • The money from actually selling comic books is a such a pittance to Disney that it wouldn't be worth it to even try.
    If the money is a pittance, then there's also the possibility of them using this new arm to create tons of new comics for their own marketing purposes. There will probably be a comic version of every non-good Disney property. ;)
  • It is a sad day for Spider-Man :(
  • Marvel VS Capcom VS Disney?
  • Marvel VS Capcom VS Disney?
    If Darkwing Duck is a character, I'd buy it.
  • I wonder if this would allow Marvel folks to appear in Kingdom Hearts?

I'm not sure where you would put the zippers on Ironman though. Seems too forced.
  • edited August 2009
    I wonder if this would allow Marvel folks to appear in Kingdom Hearts?

I'm not sure where you would put the zippers on Ironman though. Seems too forced.
    Don't worry, Nomura can put zippers on anything, he's just awesome like that.
    Am I the only one who thinks Nomura's zippers are cool? It seems likely.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • What is interesting is that Pixar is basically in charge of all Disney animation stuff now, so with this that could mean that Pixar would be in charge of any Marvel animations.
  • edited August 2009
    Don't worry, Nomura can put zippers on anything, he's just awesome like that.
    I hope you are. Then that's only one person I have to take out.
    Anyway, this is such a strange turn of events. I really wonder how it will all turn out. I hope more good comes out of it then bad.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • edited August 2009
    I hope you are. Then that's only one person I have to take out.
    You know, I don't pay much attention to JRPGs, and I wasn't familiar with Nomura and his belts/buckles/zippers fetish -- I had to do some investigating. But you know what? I kinda like it. It doesn't make any sense, but in a good way.
  • Isn't anyone else terrified about Disney's control of Marvel properties? I mean, look at the awesome choices Disney has made with its own animated releases recently:

Tarzan
    Fantasia/2000
    The Emperor's New Groove
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Lilo And Stitch
    Treasure Planet
    Brother Bear
    Home On The Range

There's barely anything redeemable in there, and nothing of enduring substance (say, to be remembered in another 20 years).
  • Lilo And Stitch
    I thought this was a wonderful movie.
  • Lilo And Stitch
    I thought this was a wonderful movie.
    Lilo & Stitch was good. I liked Tarzan, Fantasia 2000, Atlantis, and Treasure Planet as well. But I was young when those movies came out, so...I very much enjoy Atlantis.
  • Both Tarzan and Fantasia 2000 are quality, Emperor's New Groove is enjoyable (but I definitely agree with the idea that it won't be remembered), and as Rym stated, Lilo and Stitch is wonderful (though the less anyone says about the sequels/animated series/theme park attractions the better).
  • @Jason: What about those movies irk you?
    While most aren't to my taste at this stage in my life, I know I would have enjoyed them as a tot. Isn't that Disney's demographic?
  • @Jason: What about those movies irk you?
    While most aren't to my taste at this stage in my life, I know I would have enjoyed them as a tot. Isn't that Disney's demographic?
    The list is completely milktoast. The bulk of the films feel made by committee and have very temporal jokes with a short shelf life. A good half of them were financial failures. Disney has shelved its hand-drawn films for the foreseeable future because it so badly bungled the last several. Disney in my day was a powerhouse of excellent storytelling, and reaped the rewards at the box office and with critics; now the focus isn't on storytelling anymore, and they're suffering.
  • Disney has shelved its hand-drawn films for the foreseeable future because it so badly bungled the last several.
    Ummm...wrong?
  • edited August 2009
    The Emperor's New Groove is totally awesome, take that back.

Ummm.. You guys realize there are like a ton of studio's under Disney that make great movies.
    Other studios owned by Disney
    Post edited by Cremlian on