This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geo's Con Photos

GeoGeo
edited September 2009 in Conventions
Okay, so after about a month and a half of waiting and uploading on Flickr (I don't have Flickr Pro...yet), I finally have a full set of photos of Connecticon, many of which contain shots of many of the members of the FRC. Now I know Scrym, Emily, and Pete don't mind having their photos on the internet, I'm not so sure about the rest of you guys. While the rest of the photos are uploaded on my account, they are hidden and only I can see them. The reason for hiding them is because I don't want to upload photos of you guys without your permission because I don't want to intrude upon your privacy and I just want to make sure that it's alright with you guys before I do anything. Just say if it's okay or not and I'll either delete them from my account or make them publicly visible.

If it's alright, then I'll post the link so everyone can see them.

Comments

• I doubt you have any of me, but just in case, it's cool.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    I'll just make a quick list of the FRC members I do have on pics of, just so they know in advance. Real name first, forum name last.

Rym [Rym]
    Scott [Apreche]
    Emily [gomidog]
    Alex [Alex]
    Katsu [Katsu]
    Conrad [konistehrad]
    Pete [TheWhaleShark]
    Wyatt [templar21]
    Scott Johnson [cremlian]
    Jess [Uglyfred]

That's about all of them.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Jess = Uglyfred.
  • Oh! I didn't know that, I just assumed it was a guy based on the screen name itself and the text in the Real Name field.
  • I'm just inferring here, but when people let you take pictures of them these days they generally understand that they're for purposes of posting on the internet. I think you're probably okay.
  • I'm just inferring here, but when people let you take pictures of them these days they generally understand that they're for purposes of posting on the internet. I think you're probably okay.
    I know, but I just wanna be sure because I want to know if, for whatever reason, I cannot put a picture of them on the internet.
    I know, but I just wanna be sure because I want to know if, for whatever reason, I cannot put a picture of them on the internet.
    If you take a picture of someone, the photographer owns the picture, not the subject of the photograph.

If you want to use the photograph in a commercial sense, like on a billboard or in a TV commercial, then you need to get the subject to sign a release.

Other than that, it's the place you take the photos that matters. This is how concerts can ban photography. This is how Burning Man takes ownership of all photographs taken at Burning Man, no matter who takes them. This is why you can photograph anyone you want on a street, but if you take a picture of me in my house, you need my permission. As far as I know, Connecticon nor the Hartford Convention Center had any restrictions on photography outside of possibly some special events that did not allow it. Thus, you can do whatever.

In general, people really need to start learning when you have to, and when you do not have to, ask for permission to do things. For example, we distribute GeekNights under a Creative Commons Attribution License. Part of why we do this is because we don't want people bothering us and asking permission to make remixes or whatnot. Just fucking do it. Can you believe we get people e-mailing asking if they can have permission to link to us? It's the Internet! You can link to any URL you want.

Asking for permission when you don't have to is just as annoying, as far as I'm concerned, as not asking for permission when you do have to. Go learn what your rights are, and exercise them. It's easier that way.
  • Yes, generally if someone is in a public place and you take a photo of them, the photo is permissible for internet use. If you are in a place that specifically has a no-photo rule, then that is different.

Generally, most people are cool with it. If not, they have the burden of asking you to take the photo down. You don't have to get permission first. Special circumstances notwithstanding, of course.
  • Asking for permission when you don't have to is just as annoying, as far as I'm concerned, as not asking for permission when you do have to. Go learn what your rights are, and exercise them. It's easier that way.
    Sure he has a legal right to post the photos however he wants, but I think it's nice that he asked how the people in the photos feel about it.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2010
    Asking for permission when you don't have to is just as annoying, as far as I'm concerned, as not asking for permission when you do have to. Go learn what your rights are, and exercise them. It's easier that way.
    Sure he has a legal right to post the photos however he wants, but I think it's nice that he asked how the people in the photos feel about it.Wow...way to have zero empathy Scott. I was just being courteous and was concerned with their feelings on the matter. While you are right about my rights concerning my position as a photographer and the photos I snapped, I would never, ever, put a photo of somebody up unless they were okay with it or not, it's called common courtesy.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    In any case, the photos are now available for viewing on my Flickr so go right here. I apologize for the crappy quality in some of the photos, but that's what happens when you can only splash out enough money to buy a cheap and limited digital camera. Also Emily, I'm sorry if the flashes disturbed you during the con as that was entirely beyond my control because there was no way to stop it and it pissed me off because the flashes became extremely annoying to myself as well. Someday a better camera will be in my possession, especially since my new photography class at the community college will increase my skills in photography dramatically.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • If you have any feedback or suggestions to give me, just leave a comment on my Flickr or do so here, doesn't matter either way to me.
  • Save up your money and someday you will have a nice SLR!
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    From here on out this thread will be the place where I post the links to any photos taken at the con. My flickr will consist of either (or both depending on which is more reliable at what time) 35mm pics that have been scanned in or just digital camera photos.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • If by some small chance you have a pic of me, I'm ok with you posting it. Just make sure it's cute. : )
  • @Ametto: How could a picture of you not be cute? You are the most adorable human being that I know (and I know a lot of cuties).
  • *blush* Awww thanks, Kate!

I'll send that $50 check in the mail. ; )
  • Man, Lordyupa, your interests are an inch thick and a mile wide. Starting a short film company, building a sailboat, becoming a bartender, building a dark room... I'd really like to see something come from all these suppositions :)
  • Oh, FYI, Cat spells her name Kat.
  • Man, Lordyupa, your interests are an inch thick and a mile wide. Starting a short film company, building a sailboat, becoming a bartender, building a dark room... I'd really like to see something come from all these suppositions :)
    I have that problem.. So many interests and so little time...
    Hey I'm still young and foolhardy and I haven't been in the real world yet. Speaking of "something", I recently got in touch some friends of my parents. Why is this important, well their son has a pretty big reputation in Hollywood as a person who worked on a lot of television shows and was often a producer and writer for many of them. This includes: 8 Simple Rules, Mad About You, King of the Hill, and a lot more. Quite recently though he has been working with Michael Eisner and Eric Fogel as a main writer for that new stop-motion show on Nickelodeon. Glenn Martin, D.D.S

He has expressed interest in talking with me and he says that he will try and talk to me as soon as possible as he has many connections in Hollywood and who knows what will happen.
  • I have that problem.. So many interests and so little time...
    My problem is generally funding them all.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Man, Lordyupa, your interests are an inch thick and a mile wide. Starting a short film company, building a sailboat, becoming a bartender, building a dark room... I'd really like to see something come from all these suppositions :)
    I have that problem.. So many interests and so little time...
    @Sail: Don't you have a wide variety of interests and would like to pursue them? Or do you have the problem that most everyone has which can be summed up as such: "so much to do, so little time"?

EDIT: But to respond to your remark, it's true I have been setting up these stuff that have yet to make anything tangible or intangible that can be seen by people. But inversely, Li_Akahi he showed you guys that at least one part of what I said about the show I was making was a reality. I sorta like to start a lot of things and put them in reserve for when I both have the equipment, money, and time to work on it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • @Sail: Don't you have a wide variety of interests and would like to pursue them? Or do you have the problem that most everyone has which can be summed up as such: "so much to do, so little time"?
    Sure I do, but I do pursue them. I love sailing so, as a result, I have owned two boats, joined three different race teams, and have taught sailing during my summers. I have a big interest in music and audio, as you guys probably have realized, and so as a result I've learned bass and guitar, am in the process of learning piano and percussion, and recently started up a record label with six releases set to come out within the next three months. Once I have an interest in something, there's really nothing that will keep me from burying myself in it.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    @Sail: Don't you have a wide variety of interests and would like to pursue them? Or do you have the problem that most everyone has which can be summed up as such: "so much to do, so little time"?
    Sure I do, but Idopursue them. I love sailing so, as a result, I have owned two boats, joined three different race teams, and have taught sailing during my summers. I have a big interest in music and audio, as you guys probably have realized, and so as a result I've learned bass and guitar, am in the process of learning piano and percussion, and recently started up a record label with six releases set to come out within the next three months. Once I have an interest in something, there's really nothing that will keep me from burying myself in it.
    I'm truly jealous, but I suppose that's the fate of high school kid who's trying to look for a job in this broken economy. Plus living in a small town without a car to go places halts my projects and dreams as well.
    Post edited by Geo on
    What are you talking about? I spell it Cat.
    What are you talking about? I spell it Cat.
    Yeah look at the bottom of the main page it says, "Website Designed by Cat Lee.
  • edited September 2009
    He thought you were the other Kat that the FRC met a few years ago.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • What are you talking about? I spell it Cat.
    I mean Kat Lo. Sorry.
  • Yeah look at the bottom of the main page it says, "Website Designed byCat Lee.
    Yeah, but the person you took a picture of next to Emily is Kat Lo.