This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I'm sure my first modest attempt at the culinary arts will not impress you great masters, but I now have a dorm room with a kitchen, and decided it's time I join the ranks of people who can cook. A quick search on the food network website (anyone know a better site?) brought me this goodie:
    Caramelized Onion Penne
    Overall result: I was impressed.

So yeah, I'll probably scour the thread for other recipes to try, and if anyone has any super easy beginner recipes, feel free to post. More importantly, though: I'm living in the East Village. I'm guessing bodegas would be my best bet for decent, cheap ingredients, but anyone have other tips?
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I was curious if anyone has used Mead in cooking.

I was watching the kabob episode of Good Eats, and had the idea of using it as a marinade (I was thinking with chicken or pork probably.) But thinking about it further I'm not sure it brings enough, so I wanted to see if anyone had used it before in cooking.

I was also thinking it could work for braising.
  • Just a question, has anyone had this brand of sausage?

I love this stuff, but the great crux of it is is that I can't seem to find it in ANY store where I live, and I have to order it online. Not to mention, that it does cost a bit of money to order.

BUT IT'S SO GOOD.

We can basically use any sausage they use for various types of foods. We use the andouille as seen there, in gumbo. They also have flavors of Portobello Mushroom and Pesto that taste AMAZING in Fritattas. And we've experimented with a ton different varieties they've had. Does anyone else have this issue? Food that's amazing, but it can only be acquired by ordering it online?
    Costco always has them and they are delicious. I like when they sample all kinds.
    Costco always has them and they are delicious. I like when they sample all kinds.
    I have not checked Costco, that is a good idea. Do they sell them in multiple packs?
  • Tonight when I made pasta I added some bacon to my tomato sauce. I normally add some pepperoni, but this time thought adding bacon might be a nice touch.

And you know what? It was actually pretty good. I cooked a bit in the microwave first to make it a bit crispy, and the taste of it with the sauce was pretty nice. I plan to add more to it next time, since this time it was only 2 pieces.
  • Made some coconut-cashew-honey pan-charred chicken with jasmine rice. Didn't have a camera to take pictures though.
  • Just wondering, does anyone have any good soup recipes they'd be willing to share? Any kinda soup.
  • Just wondering, does anyone have any good soup recipes they'd be willing to share? Any kinda soup.
    My French Onion Soup:

-2 Large or 5 Small Onions.
    -48 oz. of Beef Stock.
    -4 tbsp Butter (or 1/4th cup of Olive Oil)
    -3 tbsp of Sugar
    -1/3rd cup of red wine or brandy.
    -1 teaspoon each of Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Rosemary, and Parsley

All of this is subjective because the amount you can make really varies. I made mine using 3 large white onions, so I had to experiment with the other items.

1. Chop the onions. First step, definitely the hardest and most annoying. Chop them small enough so that you can eat several without having trouble swallowing them.
    2. Place butter/oil into the pot and turn the heat to medium. Wait until butter is completely melted or oil is hot.
    3. Saute the onions until they are translucent. Stir occasionally to keep them from burning or sticking to the bottom.
    4. Once translucent, add sugar. Keep on the heat until they caramelize.
    5. Add wine. (The onions will stop cooking once liquid is added)
    6. Follow with half of the beef stock. Once half of the stock is in, add your spices. Then the rest of the beef stock
    7. Give the onions are stir so that the spices are mixed in well.
    8. Wait for the soup to boil.
    9. Once it boils, cover with top and let it simmer on low for 10 minutes.
    10. Add Salt and Pepper to Taste.
    11. Serve with bread and cheese.

Cheese Selections: Swiss, Gruyere or Smoked Cheese.

I would post a picture...but my cell phone is lame, has lame internet service and the picture has bad lighting in it too.
    It's funny. Every time Nuri and I make food, we always forget to take a picture and post it. Well, no more. Barbeque pork chops served with garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed vegetables (summer squash, zucchini, and mushrooms), and baked apples with raisins. It was sublime.
  • edited October 2009
    Weird how I was planning on posting something tonight as well. Garlic Ginger Salmon with Basil. Served with stir-fry green beans and a bed of wild rice. Please try to excuse the horrific lighting.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Ohmygod, I love garlic and ginger together.
  • Weird how I was planning on posting something tonight as well. Garlic Ginger Salmon with Basil. Served with stir-fry green beans and a bed of wild rice. Please try to excuse the horrific lighting.
    Should have used asparagus.

Don't mind me, I just really like asparagus.
  • Ohmygod, I love garlic and ginger together.
    Agreed.

Made Cheese Puffs during The Office. Turned out great, roommate loved them and we'll probably make more tomorrow or Saturday so I'll have pictures then. God damn, do I love the Foodwishes Blog.
  • Weird how I was planning on posting something tonight as well. Garlic Ginger Salmon with Basil. Served with stir-fry green beans and a bed of wild rice. Please try to excuse the horrific lighting.
    Should have used asparagus.

Don't mind me, I just really like asparagus.
    I make a great asparagus that's really simple. Heat a pound of young asparagus in a hot dry pan for a minute. Throw in a couple of tablespoons of butter, let it brown, then add in a tablespoon of dijon mustard and a tablespoon of lemon juice, and season with pepper. Cook for about 5 or so minutes, until the asparagus are done.

It goes really will with fish.
    Garlic Fennel Flank Steak with Grilled Oranges.
  • Fennel and orange. Good choice. Looks fucking delicious.
  • Fennel and orange. Good choice. Looks fucking delicious.
    Wish I could have some of that...
  • edited October 2009

Made curry for my second time. Tried to make it hotter than the first time I made it, which was somewhat spicy but lacked in overall taste. This time it was incredible.

When I gave it to my brother, he said it missed something. And as I listed the spices (cumin, cinnamon, ginger, tumeric, chili powder, cayenne, curry powder, salt, pepper) he decided to top it with raisins and that made it perfect. Which resulted in this:

It's great to have a cooking buddy. Yay for a new perfected recipe. ^_^
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Potato and Leek Soup. Fantastic fall/winter dish. Very filling too!

Topped with Cheddar and Chives. Mmm...
  • edited October 2009
    Ghirardelli caramel chocolate square on a Rice Crispy Treat.

Even better than Mama!
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Add some whipped cream or powdered sugar to that, and you've got a confectionery worthy of thisiswhyyourefat.com.
  • Add some whipped cream or powdered sugar to that, and you've got a confectionery worthy ofthisiswhyyourefat.com.
    Unless I am misinterpreting the scale, that is a relatively small dessert. If it was much larger and included the recommended ingredients, it would definitely be "epic" enough for that website. At just a couple of bites, it is just to meager to warrant it.
  • Add some whipped cream or powdered sugar to that, and you've got a confectionery worthy ofthisiswhyyourefat.com.
    It needs to be a tower. Like the burger with 16 patties.
  • New Recipe, and a new use for my crock pot: Irish Stew!

Result in Bowl:

Ingredients: Stew Beef, Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onion, Shallot, Garlic, Beef Stock, Marsala Wine, Guinness, Flour, Tomato Paste
    Spices for Broth: Bay Leaf, Sugar, Thyme, Worchestershire Sauce.
    Spices for Meat: Seasoning Salt, Black Pepper, Mustard, Marjoram, and Garlic Powder

Broth was made first, and the meat was browned with the spice mix before added.
    4 hours later, vegetables were properly chopped and then sautéed with butter with salt and pepper, then added to crock pot.

End Result: 8/10. Broth had too much of rich, sweet taste and didn't 100% meld with the other items in the stew. Sugar will be removed and salt will be added. Beef and Vegetables though? Amazing. Additional news:

-Pearl Onions are much more complicated to use then regular onions, so just use those unless pearl onions are specifically needed.
    -Yukon Gold Potatoes are so much more easy to deal with than Russets. They were worth the extra money.
  • How to Cook a Fucking Steak
    Go to the goddamn grocery and get steak. Yes, the grocery. A little ammonia is not going to kill you, you pussy. You want to be all fancy and grass-fed and environmentally conscious, go ahead, I don't give a shit, just get a fucking steak. Ribeye is good. And, yes, bone-in. Schmuck. Take the steak home. Get a bigass frying pan and put the shit on the stove, cranking the heat up as far as that fucker will go. Take a shitload of salt—rocksalt, you dumb motherfucker, none of that fine-grained crap here—and toss it around the bottom of the pan. When the pan is hot as all fuck—it should scorch the shit out of your finger if you're stupid enough to touch it—put the fucking steak on there. You can crack some pepper on the top of the steak as the bottom is searing, but don't even talk to me about garlic or onion powder or COMPOUND FUCKING BUTTER, asshole. This is steak, all you fucking need is salt and pepper. After a bit (3 minutes for pink, 5 for cooked good), flip that shit over and do the same fucking thing you just did with the other side, i.e. sit on your ass and wait for your motherfucking steak to be ready, you useless assbag. When you're done, sling that shit on a plate. Beringer's 1996 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Private Reserve makes an absolutely delightful accompaniment, particularly if you've taken care to let it breathe a bit before quaffing. Also, make some fucking potatoes, because that's what you eat with a fucking steak. God, sometimes I just want to smack the shit out of you.
  • One of those sentences does not fit the rest of the description.
  • Pearl Onions are much more complicated to use then regular onions
    But oh-so-good when used properly. I love pearl onions.
  • But oh-so-good when used properly. I love pearl onions.
    Not a fan, they are too strong in a bad way.
  • One of those sentences does not fit the rest of the description.
    Thank you Ted, that was the joke.

Also, really, put some butter on your steak. You don't need compound butter; just baste it with butter in the pan while it's cooking, and you will be rewarded.